Anyone got one of these?

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Richard

Anyone got one of these?

Postby Richard » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:40 pm

https://www.banggood.com/Pneumatic-Sand ... rehouse=CN

I have a Clarke gun that is very much like a spray gun but it seems to get blocked even though it is a very simple mechanism. So I wondered if this was any good even with a small container. I want to clean up all my odd bits of components for painting on my TR6 restoration.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control, Quaife LSD. Now with big brother 1973 TR6 being totally body-off restored.

locost220

Re: Anyone got one of these?

Postby locost220 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:05 pm

lets see if I can find the link to my home made one, lots more fun.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:16 pm

Have a read and a watch of the videos attached to this post

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10736

Richard.

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:47 pm

Oh wow. That's pretty easy and impressive. I'll try and make one as all I need is a long tube for my air gun. Thanks.

The Clarke gun I have is so simple that I do not know why it blocks - medium is always dry. 50% of the time I just get air out and no grit. When I do get grit, it works fine. I've no idea why grit turns on / off as all the air does is suck up the grit from the pot via a large tune. My air compressor is a big 300l twin compressor one at 8bar so that's not the problem.

Just hoping to find one that works even if it is for small jobs.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control, Quaife LSD. Now with big brother 1973 TR6 being totally body-off restored.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:25 pm

The one I made was fine, the bottle does last a while, I did try a bigger bottle but obviously gets top heavy.
You do get some erosion of the tube and wearing of the hole in the bottle neck but easy replaced.
I did my locost chassis nooks and crannies with a gun and hose in a grit bucket that worked great, obviously very messy.
I have a spot blaster from ALDI but never used it, not sure what the Clarke one is like.
When I use my cabinet that now has a bigger cfm compressor and better syton system it does suffer if any moisture and do get the odd bit of crap that been blasted off items that blocks the gun.
Give it a go

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:15 am

A new gun and pipe set is ordered all for £3.99 so will make up the device when it comes.

Question. I assume the soda bottle needs to be above the gun's pipe for gravity to feed the pipe's slot from above. Would not the filled bottle simply swival and fall down? I'm thinking I may have to make a cage to stop this happening as one holds the gun with one hand and the piece with the other.

The Clarke gun is https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/sb3-gritblast-gun/ . All it is is virtually a paint spray gun. There is a large nozzle and a jet inside with a gap between the two. There is a large (10mm) pipe underneath the jet's end going down into the screw on canister. Fill canister with grit.

Then when you pull the trigger the jet creates a vacuum and sucks up the grit into the air stream and out the nozzle. That's all. My grit is dry and I filter it via a sieve each time I re-fill the canister. I have a home made blasting cabinet that collects the grit in a bucket.

I can't work out why sometimes it works and sometimes just air comes out. There is nothing to block up (unless the grit is damp). That's why I'm looking at something else.

I don't have a problem with a small container being used up quickly as I only do small components such as a stub axle or smaller. Thinks.... If I make a larger holding cage, I could use a larger bottle subject to weight. The Clarke canister is probably 500g.

Looing forward to trying this out.

Thanks for all the help.
Richard.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:18 am

Oops, I now see the US guy holds the bottle upright so my cage theory should work.
Richard.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:51 pm

The fit of the pipe in the hole needs to be a good fit, obviously with part of the tube removed care will need to be taken when pushing it through the hole.
The tight fit on a small / medium size bottle will allow it to hold itself upside down.
As the hole wears the obvious will happen, the bigger the bottle and the more use the more likely you will need to support it somehow.
The link looks the same as what I got but not used yet.
Rich.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:16 am

This all looks very doable and may post pictures when all made and next used.

(When making my first Rush 20 years ago I mad a very simple sandblast cabinet. Just made a wooden frame, polycarbonate window and old curtains for the rest but used an old shirt for the hand / arm access(!). I used a bed sheet tacked onto the base with a hopper sewn into it to collect the grit into a bucket. The whole thing sits on my workmate. Has served the years pretty well and is about to be used a lot for the TR6.)
Richard.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:39 pm

A friend suggested an airlaine water trap so I bought one of these ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4-Spray-Gu ... %3A2334524

Seems to have worked as I just spent two hours without any blockage. Good purchase in my opinion.
Richard.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”