Too much power?

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Rexholme

Re: Too much power?

Postby Rexholme » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:48 pm

:o those are some pretty insane figures too. But fair point, well made.

Ok, playing devil’s advocate then, what’s “too little”?

Dick

Postby Dick » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:50 pm

You can never have to much

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:53 pm

Rexholme wrote::o those are some pretty insane figures too. But fair point, well made.

Ok, playing devil’s advocate then, what’s “too little”?

If you match the grip/handling/weight/braking to the power there probably isn't anything which is too little or too much.

Nash

Postby Nash » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:37 pm

I was bound to step into this conversation.

https://youtu.be/ajD5ixhazL8

As has been said, it how the power and torque is delivered. My car is extremely tractable to the point were my son drove it at North Weald 2 months ago and didn't have any (many) issues controlling it. (Everyone spins at North Weald, if you don't, you aren't trying!).

The 380bhp (303 at the back wheels) is actually wound back from just north of 400 to both protect the engine (reduced the soft cut to 8250rpm and put a hard cut in at 8450 instead of 9000 and 9100) and me. Now having driven it on the road and track it is complient on both and will do 30mph in 6th gear without issue. Spent a lot of time getting the mapping right.

So I don't believe the question is about the number, more the delivery of it

Discuss
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:07 pm

Nash wrote:(reduced the soft cut to 8250rpm and put a hard cut in at 8450 instead of 9000 and 9100)

Just hitting the VTEC at 8250 ! :lol:

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:11 pm

My daughter span at North Weald with 120 bhp, although technically it was just the ridiculously high entry speed, not power that induced the spin :lol:

I'm sure you're right Neil. A tractable, linear power delivery makes even very high powered cars controllable with a sensible driver. On track, a good driver probably does tend to think you can never have enough as Dick said.

I do think there comes a point on the road when a car has too much torque to be enjoyable to drive. Particularly if the torque comes in quickly as with a turbo. The driver, basically has to avoid using much throttle unless the road/tyre temperatures allow enough grip not to spin up the wheels.

In a less torquey and less powerful car, the driver can be more relaxed and give it a bit of welly without the car trying to go through the nearest hedge backwards. Less performance and particularly lower gearing also means the driver can use all the revs and enjoy gear changing without exceeding the speed limit by too much. When I read about Porsches which will do 85mph in second, I can't imagine they are much fun on British roads.

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:59 am

I have decided that the Ultima something I needed to do but it is not fun to drive on the road as it is so competent you never get near the edge even in spirited driving. It has to go.

The Morgan race car is about 240bhp per tonne and is a challenge to drive. Carrying the speed through corners is critical. In the Ultima it is all about getting it straight and hitting the loud peddle and finding the braking point as getting that wrong is scary. :o :shock:

On the road circa 400bhp per tonne would be about right for me.

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:41 pm

That looks good value to me.

As others have said, depends how it delivers the torque. But as long as you respect it then I don't think it's too much. You'll always want and have opportunities to use more.

Stupid torque delivery can be fun anyway. :lol:
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:14 pm

SteveRST wrote:That looks good value to me.

As others have said, depends how it delivers the torque. But as long as you respect it then I don't think it's too much. You'll always want and have opportunities to use more.

Stupid torque delivery can be fun anyway. :lol:

I’ve seen enough YouTube videos of your driving to know you’re a genetic outlier. :D

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:40 pm

I have 163 hp and that's plenty for driving around but !! there is always a but.
There has been times where you go to overtake someone who decides he doesn't like that, we have all been there, that's when I would wont a few more hp. I just wont to change down go passed him, pull in and job done.

As for Steve, I think he takes the skcc motto (fun isn't in a straight line) to the very limits !!
Only saying :D
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Return to “Car Related Discussion”