Bucket seat upgrade.

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Alex.

Bucket seat upgrade.

Postby Alex. » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:19 pm

Evening guys,

As I've had no interest in selling my Tiger, I have decided to upgrade parts of the car rather than the whole car!

First on the list are the uncomfortable 'standard' Tiger seats, they are just a base and a back and not supportive at all.
The Cat E1 being on the smaller side does limit options...

Intatrim appear to be fully upholstered seats that you might find in any car, they are also rather expensive!
Last year (I think!) I sat in Jay's car at Snodhurst and his buckets were rather comfy.

JK Composites look to be more GRP bucket style and appeal more than Intatrim style, they are also significantly cheaper.
http://www.jkcomposites.com/sevens/

Then there are the odd ball companies like LusoMotors and their RCC seats, GRP bucket again and a little cheaper than JK.
https://www.lusomotors.com/product-list/

Are there any others worth checking out?
Does anyone have suitable seats that I could blag a sit in, just to see how they might fit my frame?

Alex.

Tony Tiger

Re: Bucket seat upgrade.

Postby Tony Tiger » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:02 pm

Hello Alex,

I have also been looking to up grade my standard seats in my Tiger Cat, the other area to think about is the fibre glass covers that go over the rear suspension mounting points, the covers are fitted inside the tub causing an issue when fitting the new seats, I believe a section needs cutting out of the back of the seats.

Maybe this could be confirmed by other members, maybe an image to show how they look?

Tony

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:59 am

JK make a good seat and offer great customer service, I’d recommend getting the pads for the seats which can be colour coded to suit your tastes. Think the chaps name is Jordan.
9 is more than a number

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:54 am

Tony Tiger wrote:Hello Alex,

I have also been looking to up grade my standard seats in my Tiger Cat, the other area to think about is the fibre glass covers that go over the rear suspension mounting points, the covers are fitted inside the tub causing an issue when fitting the new seats, I believe a section needs cutting out of the back of the seats.

Maybe this could be confirmed by other members, maybe an image to show how they look?

Tony

Intatrim Odyssey seats do need trimming, I'll see if I still have some pictures
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:11 am

Here you go, a case of trial and error, trimming a little at a time.
Attachments
securon.jpg
seat 3.JPG
seat 2.JPG
seat 1.jpg
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:19 pm

Hi Alex.
Shame you can’t sell your car but I’m glad in away as you would have missed the fun.

I bought a pair of JK seats last year with colour matching padding, really pleased with them. I took out Interim Odyssey seats which I found to be hard and to upright in our type of cars with no under knee support. Phone JK they are very helpful and know our cars very well, they will probably know what seats will fit your car. Going back to the padding, I have been in a few cars were there is no padding and they are still comfy.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:58 am

If i recall correctly, fibreglass buckets need a smaller amount of 'nibbling' to get them to fit around the 'ears' in a Cat. Key point is that if you measure both sides i suspect that you'll have a slightly narrower space on the Pass side....so may need a tad more fettling ...i had to grind off the return lip of the seat ie/ the uppermost lip by hips.

Alex.

Postby Alex. » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:21 am

Tony Tiger wrote:Hello Alex,

Tony

I had heard about these and can see them down below the current seats, but without taking out the seats I can't see just how big they are!
Sounds like ANY seat will need some amount of fettling...

Alex.

Postby Alex. » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:23 am

Phil N wrote:JK make a good seat and offer great customer service, I’d recommend getting the pads for the seats which can be colour coded to suit your tastes. Think the chaps name is Jordan.

Wingco wrote:Hi Alex.
Shame you can’t sell your car but I’m glad in away as you would have missed the fun.

I bought a pair of JK seats last year with colour matching padding, really pleased with them. I took out Interim Odyssey seats which I found to be hard and to upright in our type of cars with no under knee support. Phone JK they are very helpful and know our cars very well, they will probably know what seats will fit your car. Going back to the padding, I have been in a few cars were there is no padding and they are still comfy.

Looks like JK have some satisfied customers, they are edging into the lead... :D

Alex.

Postby Alex. » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:28 am

Tony C wrote:Intatrim Odyssey seats do need trimming, I'll see if I still have some pictures

That's a lot of trimming, on an expensive seat! Hopefully the GRP seats will need significantly less.

greenwoo wrote:If i recall correctly, fibreglass buckets need a smaller amount of 'nibbling' to get them to fit around the 'ears' in a Cat.

:D

greenwoo wrote:Key point is that if you measure both sides i suspect that you'll have a slightly narrower space on the Pass side....so may need a tad more fettling ...i had to grind off the return lip of the seat ie/ the uppermost lip by hips.

The passenger side is 30mm narrower at the base, from an already narrow starting point.
No wonder I hardly ever have left hand ballast!

Return to “Car Related Discussion”