Another Build (Tiger Avon)

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Hammy

Another Build (Tiger Avon)

Postby Hammy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:08 am

So, on to the next build. Ive bought an Avon chassis and will be fitting the 1.8 mk2 Mazda MX5 engine and gearbox. Have moved the Exocet to my other lock up and started on the dirty work.

All came out relatively simply bar one schoolboy error (isnt there always?) about 4.5 hours work.

Normal muck and crap to sort out

I wont be splitting it for a little while as I want to get rid of the crap to help a cleaner test fit in the chassis, then I'll be able to mark up positions for the engine and gearbox mounts.

My chassis is un powder coated so I can get various bits of welding done, drill all the pipe run rivet holes, fit the floors and some of the other ali panels and then off to the powder coaters when done.

Engine will get new cam belt and water pump, oil pump, new clutch and maybe a lightened flywheel whilst I am at it.

Here we go again! :-)

Cheers
Last edited by Hammy on Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

nelmo

Re: Another Build (Tiger Avon)

Postby nelmo » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:27 am

Nice :)

I wish I had the time, money and space to do another build - I do miss that whole process :cry:

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:03 pm

nelmo wrote:Nice :)

I wish I had the time, money and space to do another build - I do miss that whole process :cry:

I have a garage at my house but I also rent one for storage mate

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:57 am

you don't hang around do you!

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:32 am

greenwoo wrote:you don't hang around do you!

Nope! :D

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:53 am

A little bit of an update so far.
I had been told by many that the MX5 engine and box wouldnt fit in the tunnel but I was sure it could be done! I carried on with a basic clean up....

Where the g/box mounts to the mx5 PPF there is a huge cast bracket that I'm sure will foul on the tunnel. I started to cut it off, its in a weird position to get at with the grinder and this will need cleaning up with a flap disk.

Theres still a little more that needs removing

I got the chassis delivered and it all went in first try which is great!

I was hoping the gbs Mazda engine mounts would be the perfect solution and so I waited the 3 week lead time. Unfortunately they aren't quite right so I am looking at options of modifying them

or modifying the OEM MX5 ones...
Ignore the flat bar, I was using that for measuring angles.

Before I can go firm on the solution I need to pop over to Dave T's to measure a couple of things. The other thing that will need modifying is the position of the clutch slave cylinder due to the floor mounted clutch pedal. I already have a solution for this though which I'll explain another day when its done.

As I am using Mazda box and sierra diff I will need the donor propshaft modifying and I have spoken with Bailey Morris, they seem a great bunch and its just run of the mill (or lathe :D ) stuff for them.

I knew this old extendable hoover tube would come in handy one day! Used it to get basic alignment and measurements :D

Last edited by Hammy on Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kegco

Postby Kegco » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:34 pm

Nice progress
Keep the photo’s and reports coming

Kev
ST170 Tiger cat E1
2.1 Tiger cat E1
Mini Rod73 (track toy)

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:27 pm

Good work, nice write up.

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:36 am

Will do cheers guys.

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:47 pm

So I've been making baby steps and doing some research. I needed to trim a little more of the gearbox side as previously shown. I also needed to remover the tube tiger fit for a type 9 gearbox mount.
I spoke with Neil at MK and he is making me the MK brackets they weld into their chassis for the OEM mx5 engine mounts. A top bloke as they dont normally sell them. He'll be getting more business from me for sure as he does a sump shortening service for the Mazda. Also got the GBS gearbox mount roughly positioned....

ImageImage

Off to Littlehampton Saturday morning as I managed to source a pair of Cortina front uprights and hubs for £50..... and no he's not a member of SKCC yet but he's building a Stylus....

Lastly.. pedals, I'd like to keep the hydraulic clutch but it would be just too tight with the OBP pedal box I've ordered. So I have also ordered a 2nd hand mx5 clutch pedal to try out an idea in my head. If that doesnt work I'll convert it the clutch to cable.

Not much but I'm waiting on critical parts and momentum will gather soon.

Cheers

Return to “Car Related Discussion”