Picked up my car today, but questions?

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Matth93

Re: Picked up my car today, but questions?

Postby Matth93 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:48 pm

The small brass jet near the top is the accelerator pump jet, fuel should squirt from this when you pump the accelerator. On the other jets the engine will suck the fuel out of them the don't actually squirt (so will look more like a mist). I would go for a strip down and clean the jets and float bowl. When you take the top off you should find jets screwed in take them out one at a time and let them soak in carb cleaner for a couple of minutes then blow them through also squirt the carb cleaner through the holes the jets came out of to make sure they are clear. If you do one at a time you won't get them mixed up.
Also remove the pin holding the float in and make sure they needle valve and seat are all clean.
Hopefully you'll find a blockage and clear it.
Another thing to check before stripping the carb is that there is no vacuum hoses on the manifold that have come off or split as that will weaken the mixture.
If you are not sure it may be better to take it to someone that knows what they are doing

Dick

Postby Dick » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:36 pm

Check the timing be for you start pulling things apart cam timing is easy and if ok check points if fitted again if ok then use strobe light to check ignition timing . If these are all ok then look into the fuel side.

Dav

Postby Dav » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:01 pm

So, carb cleaner works.

Holts EGR and Carb Cleaner, bought from a local motor factors on my way home from work. As per instruction, spray down the carb with the engine running to clean the jets etc.

It's not perfect, but it's a million times better!! So on order is a carb rebuild kit so I can remove it and clean it properly. Also on the list now is a complete service, as I'm not sure when the last one was done. I'm a lot happier now knowing that at least part of the issue was a dirty jet.

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:02 pm

Dav wrote:So, carb cleaner works.

Holts EGR and Carb Cleaner, bought from a local motor factors on my way home from work. As per instruction, spray down the carb with the engine running to clean the jets etc.

It's not perfect, but it's a million times better!! So on order is a carb rebuild kit so I can remove it and clean it properly. Also on the list now is a complete service, as I'm not sure when the last one was done. I'm a lot happier now knowing that at least part of the issue was a dirty jet.

Good result so far

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:21 pm

Sounds like progress, be careful taking the carb apart - lots of small bits - a good clean will never hurt - has it got a fuel filter? Always worth putting one in. Also - what Dick said - don't assume it's all carb related just because fiddling with the carb makes it a bit better.

If it has fuel & sparks & they happen at the right time, it will run well. it's all easy enough to check.

It should pull like a train & the power should be there as soon as the pedal goes down & with a little checking & adjustment, it will. :D

Dav

Postby Dav » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:37 am

Fury1630 wrote:Sounds like progress, be careful taking the carb apart - lots of small bits - a good clean will never hurt - has it got a fuel filter? Always worth putting one in. Also - what Dick said - don't assume it's all carb related just because fiddling with the carb makes it a bit better.

If it has fuel & sparks & they happen at the right time, it will run well. it's all easy enough to check.

It should pull like a train & the power should be there as soon as the pedal goes down & with a little checking & adjustment, it will. :D

A full service and tune up in now on the cards, along with cleaning the carb. Not sure how much love, if any, this car got before me, so a service is a must now.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”