Where to mount a radio in a caged car?

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

SteveRST

Where to mount a radio in a caged car?

Postby SteveRST » Fri May 24, 2019 3:09 pm

So I understand that radio reception in a car with a full cage is not great? Cage interferes with the signal or something?

Where is the best place to mount the radio, or would an external aerial be a better bet? If so, where to mount that and what should I be buying?

Looking for feedback and advice. :)
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

greenwoo
Site Admin

Re: Where to mount a radio in a caged car?

Postby greenwoo » Fri May 24, 2019 3:18 pm

good question. I've been meaning to try my external aerial again, which i just plonked on the rollbar as its magnetic.
That said, the radio and 'duck' antenna normally sits in a pouch against the rear cockpit with the aerial poking up...i'm not sure that i'd agree that reception is iffy....maybe not as good as no rollbar, but certainly very usable.

only reason am thinking of trying the other one, is that i've had a pocket sewn to the underside of the tonneau and it'd be a good place to stash the radio to keep it dry in all conditions.

kenton

Postby kenton » Fri May 24, 2019 5:23 pm

I have an external aerial mounted to the side of my cage where the pass side mirror would normally go. There is a flat plate there just right for the magnetic aerial base.
The radio lives in a fabric camera bag fixed to the dash using the bolt that holds the dash to the scuttle. Its under the tonneau so always dry but within arms reach.

Rob E

Postby Rob E » Sat May 25, 2019 7:38 am

In the orange one I mounted a material case like Kenton’s in between the two seats , I then put another cigarette adapter volt thingy to power it, the good thing with it there was the wires were nice and close to me so I didn’t get tangled up , well most of the time, I was thinking of getting a pocket stitched in to the Tonneau for the tour but I’ve run out of time for this one
Absofu?@inglutely

Orange Peel

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Sat May 25, 2019 8:00 am

The theory is that the roll cage acts like a Faraday cage, when the radio wave hit it they are effectively earthed. However a roll cage doesn't have the same density as a proper Faraday cage as there's big holes in it, so it's only going to block the radio waves when they hit the cage. Wavelength also has an effect here but probably not worth bothering about. The effect would be more pronounced trying to transmit from inside a tin top.

I've got an external mounted on top of my roll bar, but really just to put it as high as possible so it has the clearest route possible, short or sticking a mast on the car!!
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

David T

Postby David T » Sat May 25, 2019 12:31 pm

For me existing aerial extended with wifi extension cable. Bracket on to cage. In theory extension should be a specific length, but I've not checked.
Attachments
20190525_132946.jpg

Weathers

Postby Weathers » Sat May 25, 2019 2:21 pm

I know I don’t run a full cage but I’ve got a cage that holds the radio on the panel behind the 2 seats and 2 extra fag sockets so in theory I could use a charger or battery replacement device bobbins (eliminator?) if they made one to fit my radio. Which they don’t strangely. I can reach the volume button etc. even with harnesses on with a bit of contortion.

The stock aerial sits just below the height of the roll bar so I can use the radio with the roof on and off.

Never felt the need for an external aerial as it’s always worked ok. But it might be different on a tour. And the half roof has only let the water in once when it was really bad weather so I’ve not had to think of waterproofing my set up.... yet!

Return to “Car Related Discussion”