Craver training

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Crunchie Gears

Craver training

Postby Crunchie Gears » Tue May 14, 2019 6:45 pm

I just spent the day at Bruntingthorpe with a driving coach.

What a lot of fun. He has moved my ability up but I need to learn how to use it :D Looking forward to it.

I think what I learnt today should make me faster if I can reprogram my driving responses. Not cheap but ....

Crunchie Gears

Re: Craver training

Postby Crunchie Gears » Tue May 14, 2019 6:45 pm

Maybe it should be Driver Training

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Tue May 14, 2019 8:29 pm

I'm sure it will be money well spent in your situation. We'll all be watching to see the results :)

Nash

Postby Nash » Tue May 14, 2019 9:06 pm

Some examples and details Paul?
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Tue May 14, 2019 9:23 pm

I use Alan Mugglestone at Triple M Motorsport. They do training days at Blyton at the start of each season.

https://www.triplemmotorsport.co.uk/

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Wed May 15, 2019 5:33 am

It was with Scott Mansell from Driver 61 https://driver61.com/

I met him a mile or two away from Bruntingthorpe and once through security we went and parked under a VC10. It would have been great to take some pictures of the planes but you are not allowed.

He then showed me the track. I did 3 or 4 laps where he looked at my technique and then he gave me a fast lap. It really was not scary just faster than I thought an MX5. :D

Scott has a big thing on where to look on track and so we I’d some exercises to check vision. I am looking at the right places at distance but am not using my near vision to check my position on track. Did some drills.

Oh and because it is Bruntingthorpe you do not have to ware helmets which makes it very easy to talk and see.

We then spent time doing drills on stabilising the platform and then moved to how to work out how fast you can take a bend. Working up to it in repeatable steps.

Then steering input but I was not bad on that.

We then concentrated on one section of the track and the technique for each bend from trail braking, get the car rotated, stabilising the platform. Then analysis of what happened so you can repeat it when you are on your own.

By the end of the day I was going round bends I would never have made at the beginning of the day and if it went a bit wrong then I could articulate what went wrong and what to do next time.

I Am at Croft on Friday and Saturday. I have no clue if I can replicate what I have learnt or it all goes out the window nice strapped in. :geek: :twisted:

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Wed May 15, 2019 7:12 am

I've watched a few of Scotts vids on utube, and he does talk a lot in those about where to look etc...sounds like a good day.

How does it work Paul, a vbox or similar and review after a few laps? or constant adjustment/chatter in the initial stages until he feels that you have enough points to work on - and then 'quiet' until a break & debrief?

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Wed May 15, 2019 7:45 am

There is a VBox in his car but we did not use it. It could be because you cannot take pictures. He uses a GoPro in the car to record sections of the discussion and performance in the car. I have not seen that as he will post it up so I can have a look at the instruction again.

In the car he gives instruction and guides you then let’s you have a go. He often slows you down after a section and take a short cut back to it while he asks you what happened and makes sure you felt what happened.

He teaches you to move the weight distribution round the car as you go through a corner. No other coach has told me to do that.

His technique is quite difficult to do, at least it is for me, but if you get it right there are no dramas and you are going so fast. The car just has more grip.

scotty

Postby scotty » Wed May 15, 2019 6:44 pm

sounds great.being a bit mutton i have never really had a lot of luck with instruction,when i stick a lid on i have to take me hearing aids out so can't hear them so have to go by hand signals which just aint the same.i have done the porsche centre where you don't need a helmet and that's great as they talk you through each bend etc got quicker and quicker every time.
will have to give this fella a go i do watch him and always seem good.
Luego with a mighty 104bhp!!!

Jay

Postby Jay » Wed May 15, 2019 8:11 pm

Totaly agree. When i started last year with a tiny budget i couldnt afford to put somebody with me in the car well nobody that i was attached in anyway with. Just by dad and neil standing at different parts of the track and then having a chat about it then back out again to try what we have discussed shaved 3-4 seconds of my lap time. The problem i had was the next 1-2 seconds. This is were Tom Jackson another pro driver stepped up due to owing me the odd favour. He sat with me in the car plus our off track talk and managed to knock a further 1.8secs of my best lap time. Which pushed me right up the grid to p6 on my next qulifying were before my best i belive was 12th.
Makes such a difference.
Good luck the weekend paul hope it all works out for you.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”