Breakdown / Recovery Cover

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Breakdown / Recovery Cover

Postby greenwoo » Mon May 13, 2019 10:18 am

Just a heads up - especially with some folks doing longer trips & tours.

I've been pestered for the last 2 months by the RAC with whom I used to have insurance for Recovery. Finally I gave them 10 mins to quote as my current policy with Green Flag is due to end.
During the conv the agent happened that with GF there is no automatic recovery to a destination of choice...something that I had assumed was included. Turns out that technically GF would take the car to a garage within 10 miles of the breakdown, and if they can't fix the issue only then would they look to recover Nationally.

I took this up with GF during a renewal call, and was told that there could be extenuating circumstances, ie/ if it is 100% clear that no one will be able to fix it. However that would seem to be on a case/case basis and i can imagine an argument or two to make that happen.

Long story short. RAC offered a good price, just a tenner more than GF and i figured i'd go with it....called them to pay and turned out the muppet agent had provided a figure for 1 person, not joint membership. The cust service folks were brilliant and after a quick chat with their Manager agreed to cover Sue and I on any car, with National breakdown/recovery for £99 (plus hire car/hotel etc), which i think is a bloody good deal.

Purpose of this note was to say; worth checking what your cover includes automatically, to save hassle along the line. ..and that if someone provides an alternative quote a quick haggle may well secure a better deal. ( FWIW AA wanted £210 for same cover)....

Hammy

Re: Breakdown / Recovery Cover

Postby Hammy » Mon May 13, 2019 10:28 am

Excuse my ignorance but are they including the kit car in this as well? If so it's bloody brilliant! :D

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon May 13, 2019 10:39 am

that's for either of us in any car, whether we own it or are a passenger...

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Mon May 13, 2019 10:51 am

greenwoo wrote:that's for either of us in any car, whether we own it or are a passenger...

Brilliant!

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Mon May 13, 2019 11:58 am

I was paying the RAC about £150 a year for two of us in any car, but after being recovered from Scotland last year that went up to over £200, so I am now with Green Flag. I did query the recovery to home & was assured it was included, but it sounds like it might be more complicated than I thought. Having said that, a snapped-off part from a kit car manufacturer requiring a full geometry re-set, is not the sort of item a local garage will want to deal with, so it probably would've been arguable.

Impressive small print reading though! :D

Alextreme

Postby Alextreme » Mon May 13, 2019 12:01 pm

I has a similar discussion / thoughts on recovery and then found a use for my Tesco points with RAC so it was "free" - well not really but it felt better...!

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Tue May 14, 2019 5:33 am

I use Chubb, who I also use to insure my cars. I am in profit with them since they paid out for the Ultima. Not sure what they charge as it is all bundled up with the car insurance.

I quite like having one company responsible for recovery for accident a breakdown as they cannot argue that it is an accident or mechanical breakdown.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”