Speed Camera Accuracy

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Nash

Speed Camera Accuracy

Postby Nash » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:06 am

Just read this. Interesting and useful.

Skip to main content area

Toggle menus
NEW INFO REVEALS UK SPEED CAMERA TOLERANCES

New info reveals UK speed camera tolerances

SAM JENKINS

24 APR 2019

Just how lenient are Britain’s speed cameras, and can you rely on your car’s speedometer?

Earlier this year, you might have heard rumours that speed cameras in the United Kingdom have such low tolerances that just 1mph over the speed limit could have a ticket coming your way. Our sister magazine, Auto Express, did some digging to bring the truth to light.

Through Freedom of Information requests, the real thresholds for most of the UK’s 45 police forces have been revealed, giving us an idea of just how wary we should be when passing one of our 3224 speed cameras. Thankfully, the dreaded ‘1mph-over speed ticket’ rumour was proved to be false.

> UK speeding convictions vary wildly between regions

Although some police forces failed to respond, the vast majority that did stated that cameras would only flash if drivers exceeded the limit by ten per cent plus 2mph, following guidelines from the Association of Chief Police Officers – in a 30mph zone, you’d have to do 35mph to trigger a camera, or 79mph in a 70mph zone. All police forces told Auto Express that thresholds applied to both fixed and average speed cameras.

The most relaxed cameras can be found within the reach of Lancashire and Metropolitan police forces, with their cameras allowing ten per cent plus 3mph. The Metropolitan Police said the more lenient system was ‘a proportional response to the high volumes of traffic’ in the capital, with Lancashire Police stating it had been done ‘to ensure greater tolerance or discretion’. A number of forces were reluctant to disclose camera thresholds, stating that it would encourage drivers to speed.

Speed camera thresholds across the UK

Police forceNumber of camerasCamera activation thresholdAvon and Somerset4110% + 2mphBedfordshire38Would not reveal thresholdCambridgeshire32Would not reveal thresholdCheshire1510% + 2mphCleveland410% + 2mphDerbyshire1810% + 2mphDevon and Cornwall9810% + 2mphDurham0 fixed10% + 2mphEssex63Doesn't use a standard thresholdGreater Manchester235Would not reveal thresholdGwent2110% + 2mphHampshire3610% + 2mphHertfordshire53Would not reveal thresholdKent10910% + 2mphLancashire3410% + 3mphLeicestershire3010% + 2mphMerseyside1810% + 2mphMetropolitan Police/TfL80510% + 3mphNorfolk2610% + 2mphNorth Wales2810% + 2mphNorthumbria5510% + 2mphNottinghamshire48Refused to confirm if threshold existsPolice Service of Northern Ireland1210% + 2mphScotland173Refused to confirm if threshold existsSouth Wales13710% + 2mphSouth Yorkshire2510% + 2mphStaffordshire286Would not reveal thresholdSuffolk410% + 2mphThames Valley29410% + 2mphWarwickshire2810% + 2mphWest Mercia2310% + 2mphWest Midlands33Would not reveal thresholdWest Yorkshire40210% + 2mph

How accurate is your car's speedo?

Auto Express also ran tests to determine the accuracy of car speedometers, finding that all cars tested fell within the 10 per cent plus 6.25mph over-read allowed by law. A VBox recorder showed that when set to various speeds via cruise control, the least accurate model read just 3mph below the actual speed.

Commenting on the investigation, AA president Edmund King said it was ‘sensible to have some flexibility’ with speed limit enforcement, ‘as the last thing we need is drivers concentrating solely on the speedo and not the road’.
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

greenwoo
Site Admin

Re: Speed Camera Accuracy

Postby greenwoo » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:47 pm

Interesting read Neil...

bigstuff

Postby bigstuff » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:22 pm

FWIW Someone at work has just received three points for a 31 mph speeding ticket from Kent police. :?
One is one too many and one too many is never enough.

Nash

Postby Nash » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:00 pm

bigstuff wrote:FWIW Someone at work has just received three points for a 31 mph speeding ticket from Kent police. :?

Really? In a 30mph limit or a 20mph limit?

andyf

Postby andyf » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:18 pm

Nash wrote:
bigstuff wrote:FWIW Someone at work has just received three points for a 31 mph speeding ticket from Kent police. :?

Have you seen the NIP? Because I doubt it. No one who claims to have been done for 31 in 30 never provides the NIP to prove it.
MkII Marlin Roadster with Ford 2.0L Pinto and Type 9 gearbox. Going for the oily rag restoration look :-)

Nash

Postby Nash » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:34 pm

andyf wrote:
Nash wrote:

Have you seen the NIP? Because I doubt it. No one who claims to have been done for 31 in 30 never provides the NIP to prove it.

I'm of the same mind Andy? The freedom of Information info for Kent says 10%+2mph! I would be asking for proof of the 31mph speeding ticket!

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:38 pm

That's shameful, getting caught at 31mph deserves a ban, if you're going to do it then do it properly :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
9 is more than a number

steve m

Postby steve m » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:20 pm

I was "told" at my last speed awareness course, that there never was a 10% rule, never was and never would be, its a fallacy
Yet no one in the class believed the Copper :roll:

All Normal cars overead by 10 -15 % and if you use Waze, i normally do around 55 on waze compared to 49/50 on a speedo, in all 50 Mph zones,

not had a ticket yet, in two years
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:27 am

Phil N wrote:That's shameful, getting caught at 31mph deserves a ban, if you're going to do it then do it properly :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am with you Phil :o :o lock him up!

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:53 am

I'd be calling Custard if this was Pistonheads. If it is true I'd be wanting to see the unit calibration certificate and lawyering up. Doppler shift radars are not typically that accurate and there will be an inherent error % which would have to be allowed for. 1MPH is around 3.3% which is way under what I'd expect these units to be rated for +/-.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”