Speedo Not Working Properly

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Wingco

Speedo Not Working Properly

Postby Wingco » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:05 pm

So i have Tiger dials which are made by ETB. I know I have a magnet missing from my prop, hent's why it doesn't read properly. So got under the car yesterday with my new bought magnets, cleaned where the old one was up and stuck a new one on. All good, left it over night to dry, went out with the good lady this morning for a drive and a bit of lunch, the speedo still doesn't work. It works but reads incorrectly, now on the magnet on one side has a dimple, the other plain, does it matter which way round they go ??
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

greenwoo
Site Admin

Re: Speedo Not Working Properly

Postby greenwoo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:24 pm

I don't have a definitive answer Colin but;
was it accurate before? ( when it worked 'properly')
does the gauge have a way of resetting it, to make it accurate?on my stack electronic i had to drive a certain distance at a steady 'x'mph.

logic says that if yours wasnt working at all, and now is, then the gauge is picking up a signal - so i'd imagine that it shouldnt matter which way round the magnet is?

Larkingabout

Postby Larkingabout » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:36 pm

From my no doubt flawed logic if it is only reading one magnet then it either won’t work or will read half speed. I used to keep losing magnets when I had a similar system on the RH so I feel your pain
James
The man in the Red Coat

kenton

Postby kenton » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:44 pm

If you have problems with the magnets sticking can you not change the hall effect sensor to an inductive sensor and use the diff bolt heads for the reading.
Sensors can be as little as £6 . Assuming you have 3 wires to the sender

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:03 pm

Dimple should be visible when it is fixed to the steel Colin for it to read.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:30 pm

Ok guys thank you for your answers.
My speedo worked last year fine until one of the magnets fell off, I didn't bother putting another on till I took it of the road. I bought some new magnets and fitted one yesterday for it still not to work.The speedo is moving but not showing the right speed, it did before.

If you have problems with the magnets sticking can you not change the hall effect sensor to an inductive sensor and use the diff bolt heads for the reading.
Sensors can be as little as £6 . Assuming you have 3 wires to the sender

That sounds like a good idea Kenton, I'm not sure how many wires I have but will check tomorrow

Dimple should be visible when it is fixed to the steel Colin for it to read

Phew that's a relief thanks Rich

does the gauge have a way of resetting it, to make it accurate?on my stack electronic i had to drive a certain distance at a steady 'x'mph.

I will check that Mark, I must admit i did notice the miles done were not showing properly when I came back today.

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:45 pm

I had an ETB gauge and went through 3 of those sensors, which aren’t cheap - first one the wires broke right on top of the sensor, the others they just literally stopped working

If you can get a cheap Hall effect sensor to work then I’d use that although from memory I think the sensors are only 2 wire, I seem to remember the distance between the sensor and magnet was pretty critical also, too far away and you have no chance, the wires also potentially pick up noise which can mask the signal!. I might still have the calibration instructions somewhere if you want me to look for them

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:09 am

I did away with the magnets altogether & bought a speed sensor
from a Mk5 Fiesta & made an adaptor to fit it on the gearbox speedo drive. Works much better.

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:42 pm

A couple of ideas from the Tony's, many thanks. I need to double check a few things but that will have to wait till Thursday unfortunately.

Thanks guys

Return to “Car Related Discussion”