Fuel tank

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Wingco

Re: Fuel tank

Postby Wingco » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:26 am

Not sure what range I get now but it seems to empty very quickly :shock:
Nothing to do with your right foot then Neil!!! :lol: :lol:
I am also on injection and get about 160 miles to my tank, the tank is about 40 liters I think.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

steve m

Postby steve m » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:35 am

Mine started life at about 4.5 gallons, and that was way to small, so ive added a triangular sump on the bottom, which is also very good at keeping the fuel nearer the pick up, tank is now about 6 gallons
My tank is alui, so I had the modification done at a fabrication place near me

steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:48 pm

Matth93 wrote:I am now thinking maybe I need to check my carbs etc as everyone seems to be getting better mpg than me.

Mine does a pretty reliable 33 MPG on blatts & commuting to & from blatts.

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:10 pm

So after yesterday's run when the gauge was showing empty and had been for a few miles I only got 17.5 litres in it. Tonight I have stripped out the boot box to get to the tank and found it's actually the same size as the obp 6.5 gallon one.
Now I'm thinking my gauge must be reading wrong so my next move is pump it out till empty and see how much comes out and what's left in the tank that the pump hasn't been able to pick up.

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:36 pm

good plan Matt, would be interesting on your findings.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

andyf

Postby andyf » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:39 pm

I must say that I don't rely on the gauge I always use the distance since the last fill up
MkII Marlin Roadster with Ford 2.0L Pinto and Type 9 gearbox. Going for the oily rag restoration look :-)

Alex.

Postby Alex. » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:17 am

andyf wrote:I must say that I don't rely on the gauge I always use the distance since the last fill up

Distance from last fill up is fine, if you have previously run out of fuel! Otherwise, how do you know when the tank is empty without believing the gauge... :D

I only get about 100 miles before I chicken out and fill up, think the tank is only about 20 litres. I really must take a jerry can and go for a drive to run out. :o

Alex.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:17 am

Now I'm thinking my gauge must be reading wrong so my next move is pump it out till empty and see how much comes out and what's left in the tank that the pump hasn't been able to pick up.

Matt, why don't you pump it out ( assuming you can empty it completely), then add a defined amount, say 1/4 gallon and see if it will start/run on that amount. If not, add another 1/4 until such time as the pick up works fine. From that point add enough til the gauge hits empty.
That'll give you how much 'reserve' you have, then if you brim it at the same time you'll confirm the volume, and sensibly know what the rough range is.

Rob E

Postby Rob E » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:05 am

Eco boost 5gallon tank
170/180 miles between stops :D
Motorway miles 85/90 mph
Absofu?@inglutely

Orange Peel

Alex.

Postby Alex. » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:15 pm

greenwoo wrote:Matt, why don't you pump it out ( assuming you can empty it completely), then add a defined amount, say 1/4 gallon and see if it will start/run on that amount. If not, add another 1/4 until such time as the pick up works fine. From that point add enough til the gauge hits empty.
That'll give you how much 'reserve' you have, then if you brim it at the same time you'll confirm the volume, and sensibly know what the rough range is.

Now that is not a bad idea! Might have to give it a try over Easter, if I get a chance.

Alex.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”