Bonnet

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Weathers

Bonnet

Postby Weathers » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:37 am

I’ve got the FW bonnet on my Westfield which is attached to the car by a “piano” hinge. It’s a long hinge with 5 holes in it.

The bonnet is attached by nuts and bolts which is fine. The chassis was connected by rivets but they have just sheared off leaving the bonnet detached from the car..... bum. Better now than later I suppose.

Now, I can either re-rivet the hinge back on as it was or use riv nuts and probably M3 bolts. The rivets passed through the hinge, the under tray and then in to the chassis.

If I use riv nuts do I need to drill out the under tray first so that the riv nuts can sit flush to the chassis. Or could it pass through the under tray and the chassis and clamp it down through both.

The bonnet is quite heavy so the fixing needs to be quite sturdy. The only other point is that the holes are not bang in the centre of the chassis box section so I can’t make the holes much bigger.

Thoughts please. Thanks.

Nash

Re: Bonnet

Postby Nash » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:00 pm

Chris, if you need to remo e the undertray at some point you dont want to FIX it with the river nut.
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Weathers

Re: Bonnet

Postby Weathers » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:11 pm

Good point, I'll drill out the tray, fit the riv nut then tighten down the hinge then. Useful tip!

Return to “Car Related Discussion”