2 days of driving interesting cars

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Crunchie Gears

2 days of driving interesting cars

Postby Crunchie Gears » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:52 pm

I went up to Morgan yesterday with a mate. He took delivery of a Golf R last week and he let me drive it back. Interesting car with 300+ bhp, 4 wheel drive and 8 speed ZF flappy paddle box. The thing goes well but it lacks some involvement IMO. Not sure it gets my vote. :)

Today I went to see my brother Brian. He took delivery of a fully loaded AMG C63. My goodness it is some car. :D :D The ride is really good even in sport+; in race setting it is very firm. The grip on the car is massive. I wish I had not driven it as I now want one :? :lol: :lol:

b33fy

Re: 2 days of driving interesting cars

Postby b33fy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:09 pm

I drove a Golf R a little while ago.. quite liked it. Almost supercar performance for not a lot of dosh. Though you have to really drive it at silly speeds to get some feedback and involvement. Grips like a limpet at crazy speeds, if it let’s go the ending wouldn’t be too pretty.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:46 am

Have to admit i do like the look of the C63...nice chunk of metal!!

Weathers

Postby Weathers » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:51 am

Crunchie Gears wrote:The thing goes well but it lacks some involvement IMO. Not sure it gets my vote. :)

I thought the same about the RS3 and the A class AMG. Bit too play station generation with 2 pedals and flappy shifters. Very quick but just felt numb unless you were definitely at license and possibly life losing speed. Not my cuppa but each to their own.

That A63 is a weapon. A bloke opened one of those up next to me the other day and it sounded like he’d angered the gods.

David T

Postby David T » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:02 am

Sounds fun, but I would think frustrating that you cant use the performance. Cars now have specs that are just way too much for UK roads. I did think about getting the Volvo tuned, but then I thought about the fact that from month to month I never really get the chance to go WOT with the factory power. You soon get bored off flooring it down the slip road only to hit the brakes before the first Smart motorway camera. Chris Harris' recent, admittedly exaggerated, comparison of Fiesta ST vs Lambo illustrates the point. Of course if you go on track or to the autobahn it's a different matter.

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:11 am

David T wrote:Sounds fun, but I would think frustrating that you cant use the performance. Cars now have specs that are just way too much for UK roads. I did think about getting the Volvo tuned, but then I thought about the fact that from month to month I never really get the chance to go WOT with the factory power. You soon get bored off flooring it down the slip road only to hit the brakes before the first Smart motorway camera. Chris Harris' recent, admittedly exaggerated, comparison of Fiesta ST vs Lambo illustrates the point. Of course if you go on track or to the autobahn it's a different matter.

Interesting! I need to replace the Mondeo Diesel Estate and have been looking for a while. I do not do many miles but need a car for the dog and to take 4 people + luggage for a week. I would really like a C63 Estate but it is alot of money to tye up to sit on the drive even if it is used. I have also looked at a BMW 340i M Touring. I am not going to take it on track so why am I looking at that much power/ performance?? :twisted:

Meanwhile the Mondeo does what it does and has done 165,000 miles :D :D

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:06 pm

The mondo probably owes you nothing so why not just keep running it. The Merc has gone so running the C30 until I retire, owes me nothing and saving on the cost of new, suits me at the moment. Mind you I am tempted to get something Like a quadrifoglio if I go back part time lol.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

David T

Postby David T » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:47 pm

How about something different? My dream family towing wagon is a Volvo 240 estate with a tuned T5 lump in it. Would need air con and a few other mod cons. I've often thought what it would cost to get in something like this vs something nice, new and expensive, but that would only depreciate and blend in.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:14 pm

David T wrote:How about something different? My dream family towing wagon is a Volvo 240 estate with a tuned T5 lump in it. Would need air con and a few other mod cons. I've often thought what it would cost to get in something like this vs something nice, new and expensive, but that would only depreciate and blend in.

There is an amazon estate with T5 conversion, painted rebel blue and black chrome. Looks the business, can’t put my hands on the pics atm.

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:46 pm

I am thinking rat rod :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Car Related Discussion”