What The Hell's Wrong With My Car?

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Fury1630

What The Hell's Wrong With My Car?

Postby Fury1630 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:35 pm

Today I fitted a vacuum gauge - just because I had one, it was jumping a bit, so I thought I'd check the throttle body balance, I was connecting up the pipes to the balancer, fiddling under the inlet manifold where the coil pack is when the engine suddenly started running rough, it could just barely idle.

I pulled the plug lead one at a time & they all seemed to have a spark, but none of them made the engine any worse when it was off. All four exhausts were hot.

I faffed with all the leads at the coil pack end in case I'd disturbed something & eventually convinced myself that 1 & 3 had a weaker spark & bought a new coil pack, fitted it & bingo! car back to normal :D

So I set about balancing up the TBs again & made the mistake of turning on the ignition when the fuel rail wasn't bolted down (the bolts have to come out to remove the airbox) then I messed up an injector o-ring & had to go to Screwfix for a nitrile o-ring assortment, found one to fit, re-assembled & it's running like a dog again :(

I wanted to use it to go to Biggin Hill tomorrow too, looks like I'll be dieseling.

When it is apparently running on two cylinders it keeps "sneezing" on No.3 & sometimes No. 1 & I can see the flame behind the butterfly.

b33fy

Re: What The Hell's Wrong With My Car?

Postby b33fy » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:52 pm

What management is the engine running Tony? If Edis 8 is fitted worth, checking connections back to module including earths etc. It may also be something simple like arcing ht lead across that pack, caused by a break in the lead. might be worth checking leads and connections for integrity.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:28 am

Omex 600 & the leads are all newish.

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:47 am

Could it be that you’ve disturbed something and caused a air leak on the manifold

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:39 pm

Matth93 wrote:Could it be that you’ve disturbed something and caused a air leak on the manifold

Possibly, but investigations this evening suggest it's running really rich. To get it to idle I have to hold the throttle about a quarter open & it's smoking & sooting the plugs. I've checked the cam timing in case one of the wheels jumped a tooth, but that all looks OK. I also put the old coil & plug leads back on, but that made no difference.

Tomorrow I'll connect up the laptop & see what the TPS is doing & make sure it's getting a proper signal from the crank position sensor. I'm pretty sure it's something simple, but at the moment I can't work it out.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:45 pm

I’ve left the vacuum pipe off the manifold to the MAF sensor a couple of times when doing the head gaskets, which causes similar running issues. Telling the ecu there’s more air than actually is and over fueling.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:45 pm

Mine hasn't got a MAF meter, so it can't be that :(

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:59 pm

Fury1630 wrote:Mine hasn't got a MAF meter, so it can't be that :(

Sorry Tony Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor (MAP)

David T

Postby David T » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:33 am

Broken the wires inside one of the connectors, eg ECU to coil pack?

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:49 am

b33fy wrote:
Fury1630 wrote:Mine hasn't got a MAF meter, so it can't be that :(

Sorry Tony Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor (MAP)

Hasn't got one of those either :D The Omex relies on crank speed & throttle position to calculate load.

I'm going to check the throttle linkage first (as I made it :oops: ), then as David T says, look for wiring problems.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”