Business use Insurance.

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Alex.

Business use Insurance.

Postby Alex. » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:42 am

At work, I seem to have picked up a job of helping another site get up to speed on our development process. This involves travelling up to Lancashire once a month for a 3 day visit. Now that spring is here and my kit has risen from hibernation, it occurs to me that I can have some fun in the evenings!

Before I float the idea with my boss, does anyone have experience of including business use on the insurance of their kit?
I'm currently insured through A-Plan and will be talking to them come renewal, which is sometime next month, but would like to know if I should expect a shock or a pleasant surprise...

Alex.

leegav

Re: Business use Insurance.

Postby leegav » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:02 pm

im guessing youd need business insurance so you can claim the mileage expense?
if its for a once a month 3 day visit i wouldnt bother if your not claiming mileage.
if i drove my MNR to work for 3 consecutive days because the sun was out i wouldnt expect APLAN to refuse a payout if i had an accident.
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

Alex.

Postby Alex. » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:09 pm

The problem is that general car insurance covers you for social, domestic and to and from ONE permanent place of work. Going to another site is technically in breach of the insurance conditions.
As all the petrol would be claimed on the company expenses, I fully expect to be asked if I have business cover, as the work car insurance would not cover me in my own car.

leegav

Postby leegav » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:22 pm

fair enough, I thought you would be claiming mileage backto be honest. They should ask you if you have business cover, if your claiming.

Aplan should be able to sort something out for you. Hope its not too much of a change on your premium... let us know how you get on, nobody has asked this question before, well not since ive been on here anyway. :D
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

steve m

Postby steve m » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:09 pm

I don't know about kit car use and Business work, but ive just insured my Mondeo with a Business and commuting to work SDP policy, and it was a lot cheaper than a normal SDP policy

As Steve says, if it will be a case of now and again, I would just wing it, and your off to visit a friend, as how many people commute a few hundred miles a day in a car

The other thing is, do you put a limited mileage on the policy (I do, 3k miles) as that journey would eat your mileage allowance

steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:25 pm

Funny how peoples idea of fun in the evenings whilst on a work jolly differ :lol: :lol: :lol:
9 is more than a number

Nash

Postby Nash » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:58 pm

Phil N wrote:Funny how peoples idea of fun in the evenings whilst on a work jolly differ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hahaha

Alex, just call A Plan and ask
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:35 pm

A-plan asked me if I wanted business use cover as I could be called to a satellite site (see what I did there?) so it can be done. I declined & used the tintop on those occasions I needed to go, so have no idea what it would've done to the premium.

Alex.

Postby Alex. » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:57 am

Now I am no angel when it comes to the road and the traffic laws, but the consequences of speeding are points and a fine with no real lasting impact.
Being stopped for speeding (or a non-fault accident) while in office based attire (a shirt :D ) and a minor slip to the officer, could lead to a driving without insurance conviction, which does have long lasting impact!

If the cost of business insurance is low, then the fun could be had. I was just wondering if anyone knew the magnitude of the cost.

Phil N wrote:Funny how peoples idea of fun in the evenings whilst on a work jolly differ :lol: :lol: :lol:

The place I stay at is a gastro pub in the middle of nowhere, I'm not a drinker so there is nothing much to do!

Nash wrote:Hahaha

Alex, just call A Plan and ask

I wasn't sure just when my insurance runs out, but found the email after a bit of digging last night.
My renewal is on the 16th April, so when the notice comes I will be giving them a call!
I'll keep you all informed... :lol:

Alex.

Postby Alex. » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:30 pm

Turns out it's not that expensive!
I phoned up A-Plan who confirmed my quote for the next year is £198, with 5000 mile limit.
Then with added business cover it went up to £232.

I might just have to take them up on it, to give me options for the summer! :D

Return to “Car Related Discussion”