Fuel Sender /Gauges

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Fuel Sender /Gauges

Postby greenwoo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:19 pm

May be of use/interest to 1 or two in the future.

In the process of researching for my new fuel tank I realised that i won't be able to have a normal 'swing' type arm - the tank will be too tall in relation to the internal baffles.
Anyway, new to me, but prob not others I found that VDO make a 'dip tube' type sender....basically a cylinder with a float inside....

Upside is that there's no calibration needed....when it says half full that's because the float will def be halfway up the cylinder. I spec'd one that is a tad short of the depth of the tank so that when it hits zero on the gauge it'll have 3/4-1 gall left.

On the topic of gauges....wish i'd known this before....VDO have a range of marine gauges. extra sealing, fog/mist proof for pretty much the same price as the car ones! as none of my existing ones are VDO i had to buy one to work with that sender....

Thrustyjust

Re: Fuel Sender /Gauges

Postby Thrustyjust » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:29 pm

They have been around for years. Put one in a Westie over 20 years ago :D
They also dont slosh around on the gauge and dont leak fuel like my old sender, which fitted in the side of the tank and under fuel weight if the tank was full to half full. Great product !

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:34 pm

greenwoo wrote:Upside is that there's no calibration needed....when it says half full that's because the float will def be halfway up the cylinder.

That only works if your tank is of constant cross section - if it was triangular the top "half" would be used much quicker than the bottom, If it's tee shaped the top will last a long time, then suddenly drop. That's the same wit a swing-arm type as well & no problem as long as you expect it to happen.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:40 pm

bloody hell Tony, there's me thinking that i;d backed a winner and you drop the bomb....yep, course you're right, and my tank won't be totally 'regular'....oh well, bit of fiddling to do..

leegav

Postby leegav » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:45 pm

Yep...I bought my vdo sender. Thinking I’m onto a winner. The tank builder supplied it!
It never worked properly since day 1.
Moves up down on hard cornering... and here is the annoying thing..
I thought I had 120 ish miles per tank on my new 30l tank based on the vdo dash reader... I put this down to internal foam and all the poop inside tank taking up space. When I went to the alps with the gang in 2017 I decided to drive on a brimmed tank till the car failed..... got almost 190 miles before it spluttered on motorway and I pulled over. vdo read wrong despite been calibrated. Expensive bit of kit that never worked! Had to explain this to the buyer of the tiger too.
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:34 am

If you want a low fuel alert, I fitted this unit to an LED dash light and set it at 60 miles left. Greta little unit IMHO. Easy to fit and adjust too.

https://www.spiyda.com/miniature-low-fu ... ule-2.html
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control, Quaife LSD. Now with big brother 1973 TR6 being totally body-off restored.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”