Fabricators

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Fabricators

Postby greenwoo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:13 am

Gotta love this country...
Asked 4 people for quotes for a new fuel tank.
1/ a Company suggested by Lee who had a great rep.....wait for it......'atleast £700, probably 800/825, no we wouldnt have any measurements from your pals tank so would need to start from zero'.
2/ Tiger. Can only speak to 'parts' Tues/Thurs. So had 'downtime' Fri-Tues, got to lunch Tues and chased - hadn't looked at the mailed drawings. Then they Sidestepped the issue by just mailing 'their guy', who then tells me - about a months lead-in.
3/ Local firm who made the old tank bigger...'thx for remembering us, yes i remember us doing that for you. happy to quote....that'll be a week ago.
4/ Another local firm...admittedly only been waiting 3 days for that quote or acknowledgement that they;'ve looked at the drawings.

Waiting for the numbers from Tigers guy. In some ways that'd be an easy choice as he owned a Tiger, knows the shape of a standard tank/dimensions, and having talked with him knows exactly what i want to do to increase capacity. But a bloody months+ wait.....

1st local company would be good, as on the doorstep if there's any running around/issues - but a week and no quote isn't exactly chomping at the bit.

Oh to live in the world of Richard Rawlings who can get a car upholstered in 2 days, custom wheels made in a day...on that basis a simple fuel tank should take 2 hours :lol:

Fury1630

Re: Fabricators

Postby Fury1630 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:00 am

I used this bunch http://www.alloyracingfabrications.com/

It was way back in 2012, but the price according to the recommended thread here:-

https://southernkitcars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3135 was good, & while there were a little late, they did keep me informed & worked to a drawing I'd sent them.

It's never leaked since.

I have a couple of their catch tanks too, one I used as a petrol swirl pot for a couple of years, again, good price & no leaks.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:18 am

cheers T will take a look....

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:29 am

Martin Keenan made mine, if you want his details let me know, very quick turnaround and was the mutts nuts. I’m sure it was only a few hundred too.
9 is more than a number

leegav

Postby leegav » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:13 am

Sorry to hear that mark. I think the lead time on my tank with pro-alloy on the tiger was about 7 weeks and yes it was about 800 quid in the end. They were very helpful from start to finish. Very suprised they don’t have the drawings either....but I did start from scratch with them. :roll:
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

Nash

Postby Nash » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:07 am

Another vote for Martin Keenan here. Took about 3 or 4 weeks but was only £250 and 55L tank. Note from my experience internal baffles still didn't work when the tank fuel level was low! I went back to an external swirl pot set up.
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Return to “Car Related Discussion”