MNR Vortex RT Hayabusa

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Kegco

Re: MNR Vortex RT Hayabusa

Postby Kegco » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:29 am

Congratulations Lee
ST170 Tiger cat E1
2.1 Tiger cat E1
Mini Rod73 (track toy)

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:55 am

Enjoy many miles with smiles - worth it in the end!!!
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

Weathers

Postby Weathers » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:59 am

Phew - and breathe. Congratulations. Can't wait to see a black blur out on a Sunday!

I know you've not driven it properly yet but if there was anything that you could do differently or change in this whole process what would it/they be?

Oh yes and in terms of %age (I don't need to know numbers that's your business) how far did you go over your original budget?

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:50 pm

Oh yes and in terms of %age (I don't need to know numbers that's your business) how far did you go over your original budget?

come on Chris, you know the answer.....Man Maths, Buddy Maths and Statistical Maths....
Man Maths - 'less than you thought luv', I sold 'x', did a deal on 'y', have factored in that i haven't used any petrol in a kit car all year, nor had to pay for any kit car repairs all year.....and surprisingly it came in £5k under budget.
Buddy Maths - 'well a 'bit' more than I was thinking, but hey worth it'
Statistical Maths - aka fact. 'I don't know, don't want to know....too many receipts to add up'

Bit like that guy on Grand Designs last week who 'apparently' wasn't sure if he'd spent 1.1M or 1.4M....really? think that was a blend or Buddy Maths and Statistical...'more than i thought, can'#t be arsed to add it up'.

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:28 pm

Nice one Lee, hope its the end of a bad journey now start the new one.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

andyf

Postby andyf » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:10 pm

well done
MkII Marlin Roadster with Ford 2.0L Pinto and Type 9 gearbox. Going for the oily rag restoration look :-)

leegav

Postby leegav » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:11 am

well it was an absolute roller coaster...
im not going to hide the fact its cost me a small fortune, and most will think im mad and should have bought a caterham..... the fact is ive never really liked the shape and i dont like the interior.

The original budget was 30k. When i went to spec the car with Marc, we could get the RLM hayabusa 1500 in there and get the AIM wheel with electric paddle shift, that was on standard ECU and bodies. We specced the car to highest standard they offered and this included a shed load of carbon fibre and some trick one off unique parts he would make on his machinery such as a transparent airbox, some machine parts that he had not used before. The only reason we got it under 30k was because he knocked off almost 3.5k VAT for me.
Later in the build we realised the AIM wheel needed the datalogger to work and some other sensors so this added around 1k onto the bill. I then chose to go for the MBE ECU and Jenvey throttles which added another 2k on. I added Schroth harnesses which added £500 and an aftermarket silencer which added another 350. After some other parts needed on the engine that didnt come as part of the package i was at 35k. All the issues that have happened with IVA i am unsure on cost yet as havnt received the invoice im guessing 1400 quid ish for time on the rolling roads and sensors etc. My private plate was 500 quid too.

So in total the car has cost me around 37k. 2 k of which im putting down to the fault of MNR so.... in total i went 7 k over budget but 5 of that was my choice. I do look on the internet and think jesus...look what i could have got instead....but i knew that would happen. If the car is reliable and lasts me 10 years then i its been worth it. Something i noted when i started hill climbing last year was how much the events brought all my family together, something which never really happened before apart from Xmas etc..... and how much fun we had as a family doing the events... that's something that is priceless.

What would i do differently... not sure really. :roll: It was a pain in the bum to be honest. With a promise of delivery end of March and its likely to not be on the road being used until end of October I think i would have asked for contracted terms on the build...

As for which parts would i have done differently or chose differently.... i honestly cant think of anything at the moment as every single part of the car was specced to exactly what i wanted (which when fully complete i will post up). The only thing itching me a little is the thought of i wished id of put a turbo on it. The engine makes 242hp NA.

I wish id of saved a couple of K and bought a trailer! :lol:

Until i drive the thing and see how reliable it is i cant tell anyone that has been worth it yet... lets see. :roll: 8-)
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:42 am

I suspect you will regret the trailer, especially if you intend to compete in it.

Well done on sticking at it, time to re-learn how to drive :)

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:28 am

Until i drive the thing and see how reliable it is i cant tell anyone that has been worth it yet... lets see.

i've no doubt it'll put a smile on your face....
plenty of time to get a trailer between now and the next full season.

scotty

Postby scotty » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:23 pm

turbo can be done later...then it can feel like a new car again,sure it will be fun learning to drive it as it is and getting the best out of it
Luego with a mighty 104bhp!!!

Return to “Car Related Discussion”