Puncture resolution

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Puncture resolution

Postby greenwoo » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:51 am

I mentioned this stuff in passing to Jay the other day....I'd popped into the local garden place to get a chain for the chainsaw and saw this stuff on the counter..

It proclaimed that it fixes punctures in wheelbarrows/bikes/motorbikes etc and as i had a puncture on the mower thought i'd give it a whirl.
Bear with me.....i know that this is a car forum.....

Anyway, what a great product...the bottle has a little tool for removing the valve and you squirt this stuff through the unrestricted valve opening into the tyre and then simply inflate and put the valve back.
Unlike tyre weld its not a pressurised container so you squeeze the bottle to get it all in, and again unlike t/weld you don't need to change the position of the wheels to get it to flow round. Took all of 2 mins from start to finish to fix the puncture and inflate the tyre.

I had been meaning to look to see the use for cars...and sure enough there's this make and a few others that i hadn't heard of either.
This 'slime' version comes with either just the bottle or i saw on another vid a kit which is slightly different; its a mini compressor with a tube of the stuff built in, you dont take the valve out for that and just turn on the compressor and it injects the 'slime' at the same time as inflating the tyre. Otherwise if you just have the bottle you'll need to get a mini compressor or happen to be near a garage when you decide to get a puncture!

Apparently you can leave this stuff inside for a cple pf years, although guessing most would consider that a bit of a stretch and would want to get the repair done properly at the earliest opportunity!

It fixes holes in the tread area up to 1/4 inch in size, and i gather it will also repair a sidewall issue - BUT of course that really would be considered a short term fix.

Thought i'd mention it as few of us have spare wheels and this could be a good idea instead of sodding around with a physical repair kit. I'm defo going to get some more of this stuff, as a starter there's 3 wheelbarrows that could use it, and will keep the right size one in the car from here on....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFAKfF9mwK4

kenton

Re: Puncture resolution

Postby kenton » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:20 pm

Been around for decades.
http://okosales.co.uk/
Used it many times in the "good old days"
k

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:54 pm

What mess does it leave though after being in there for a couple of years, imagine the Kwik fit boys getting a facefull of slime when they pop the tyre off :D
9 is more than a number

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:23 pm

Used it many times in the "good old days"

sharing is caring Kenton, give us a heads up about these 'thingies' that we can use for the cars.

scotty

Postby scotty » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:31 pm

beware if ya find ya tyre going down( and not just flat in the morning )and there is still pressure in it be careful when taking the valve core out! playing hunt the valve on the side of the a14 in the pissing hard rain in the dark with a flat bike tyre and a moany mrs really aint a laugh!...i did find it but nearly lost me head doing itas put it into the carrige way.
as for the residue,like most others at tyre changing time a bit of soap and water and it washes away easy they just make a big thing of at at kiwk fit to be dramatic.
Luego with a mighty 104bhp!!!

zxr400

Postby zxr400 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:45 pm

use it in my mower tractor,got a thorn hedge got loads of punctures been in now for 3 years and still up :D

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:11 pm

fwiw - bought a couple of car sized bottles via amazon for £13 each.....

Return to “Car Related Discussion”