Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

locost220

Re: Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Postby locost220 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:40 pm

Although there are many parts not fitted yet it was time to get a new battery so I can look to test out some of the electrics.
So armed with my discount card I visited Halfirds and bagged another of my usual juice boxes with 49% off.

I have been unable to find suitable replacement seat runner for one of my Cobra seats, given I gave one to mate Dave to improve the use of his car (least I could do after he leant me his car for last years euro blat tour)
So I ordered some similar and extended them top and bottom pieces and both runners to fit seats and holes in floor, Sorted.

Also got a replacement speedo sensor pick up after I wrecked the old one taking the axles out
As they did not have a date to get my type in stock I decided to go for the different type that reads bolt heads rather than the disappearing magnets on the diff flange.
Took the mounting bracket off the start to make a new one and hey ho it had a magnet stuck to it.
Once it is fitted I need to run new lead to the dash as the wiring is different and might slip a cut out switch somewhere near the speedo.
Attachments
IMG_20200831_154811.jpg
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:52 pm

Great write up as normal Rich, fingers crossed you can get it all installed in a couple of months, also looking forward in you installing the engine and gearbox.

Took the mounting bracket off the start to make a new one and hey ho it had a magnet stuck to it.
Once it is fitted I need to run new lead to the dash as the wiring is different and might slip a cut out switch somewhere near the speedo.

This I will keep an eye on, I have have so many issues with my speedo, ive given up and using the sat nav speedo now.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

locost220

Postby locost220 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:32 pm

Cheers Colin, just to let you know my clocks are ETB Instruments and the magnet sensor just has 2 wires that go straight to the clock where as the new one has an earth, an ignition live and just one wire to the clock and a nice long cable that should reach from diff to the dash, I could use the two wires I already have in the loom for the original sensor.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:40 pm

Little bit of brackertry 101.
Need to make a longer mount for the new speedo sensor, sorted out few bits of scrap 3mm plate,cleaned up with the angry tool, taped up and marked out for the holes, drilled and made the mount hole egg shaped for a bit of adjustment.
Then a trial fit before a lick of primer and satin black from rattle can.
Feed the wire through to the front of the car and then to set the air gap when the paint is dry.
Attachments
IMG_20200901_175812.jpg
IMG_20200901_175102.jpg
IMG_20200901_174330.jpg
IMG_20200901_173621.jpg
IMG_20200901_173035.jpg
IMG_20200901_172815.jpg
IMG_20200901_172652.jpg

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:52 pm

It looks crowded in the transmission tunnel :)

Looks like it's coming together.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:50 pm

Managed to get some work done on setting the air gap on the speedo sensor once installed tonight, wired in the lead and some time putting in some earth leads for accessories, checking and testing earth's.
Been searching for a replacement set of side mirrors but only because I broke one and so far not found a set the same, I like a bigger field of vision as opposed to the preferred smaller ones and they do not move once set either.
Could not find a suitable stick on glass replacement so I have decided to cut and put a stick on plastic roll cover for now till I get a chance to look round some stalls in the future. Little paper template and bobs your uncle.
Should do for now.
Now to drill some holes in my new painted bodywork.
Attachments
IMG_20200902_213200.jpg
IMG_20200902_214636.jpg
IMG_20200902_215317.jpg
IMG_20200902_215915.jpg

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:47 am

Managed a few hrs in the garage yesterday,
Started off getting a couple of light coats of clear coat on the bonnets, trying not to finish these till I need them so do not have to be too concerned about marks on the polished paintwork for too long from that point.
Drilled the mounts for the side mirrors, right through the reinforcing fibreglass strips I put on the scuttle as had cracked there previously as was the mounting points for one of the windscreen supports and the side mirrors.
Left mirrors off as working In confined area of the garage.
Cleaned up and tested the earth points and then tightened all the earth's once all cables were fitted.
Had to mock up some chassis to battery earths from scraps, then stood at arms length with an eye on the fire extinguisher as I tapped the big power lead on the battery waiting for the flames or at very least a few cracks as fuses blew.
Thankfully no flames but after playing with knobs and switches did get a 20 amp fuses blowing repeartly and also my reserve fuel pump working when I turn the lights on?
Got the massive diagram I did out for a gander and could not see the reason but also noted a couple of other things not working un related to the blown fuse circuit.
After a chill and a cuppa I realised I had a couple of plugs crossed and once sorted most of the rest of the circuits seem okay and a few to have a look at.
Some of the testing has been real time as the headlights are on so I can clearly see the whole lot including the halo indicators are working. Same for the back lighting on the dash gauges.
For some of the non fitted stuff like rear lights, horn, fan I was using one of the rear indicators with Bullet connections to see if the light come on vice horm or fan working.
Stuff like the oil pressure gauge, low oil pressure light, fuel gauge I just used the test meter or shorted to earth.
A good start, if all goes well be looking at a final tidy under dash before fitting seats etc and the same for the engine bay where the fuse box and relays are, before thinking of a new clutch and engine gearbox install.

locost220

Re: Lochost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Postby locost220 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:28 pm

Another busy day in the garage, the present to do list is getting shorter meaning some of the less favourable jobs need doing, but along with those it was time to break out the Ecu loom, final lay wil have to wait till the engine and gearbox are in.
Also did a few other things including investigating why some of the gauges had no illustration, meaning a couple of sessions upside down on my back with head in passengers foot well and feet through the roll bar, turned out to be a bad crimp terminal.
Having the wiring diagram I did at the start was a great starting point.
Made and fitted a second clamp, bracket for the fuel pump as well as a set of adaptors and clips for the fuel supply to it adapting 10mm pipe to 12mm pump.
That will need something made up in metal definetly.
Drivers seat and belt is fitted.
Made some battery to chassis earth's once I found the cable and lugs.
Trying to sort out a new clutch to get ready for an engine
install
Tiedied up some spare wires I put in the loom to the back on the car.
Attachments
IMG_20200912_100604.jpg

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:12 am

That certainly is a great write up Rich, you are getting there, you must be seeing the light now ?
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Nash

Postby Nash » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:24 am

just starting to catch up on this Rich its like being watching a good box set! You are relentless fella. RESPECT.
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Return to “Car Related Discussion”