Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

locost220

Re: Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Postby locost220 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:57 pm

Despite a false start with some miss matched brake fittings I managed to correctly bend the new brake pipe that goes from one side of axle to the other also round the axles to the rear of the brake cylinders.
Need to chase up Rally design for my new braided hose kit.
Fitted the mounts for the Rev and fog lamps, had to sort out some new long screws for the lights but all sorted and just need wiring up.
Did a dummy run by mounting the rear arches as had to fit a rivnut either side (so I can now remove arches without having to take all the interior out) and also had to mark out, drill and tap a couple of holes through the side panels I had overlooked.
The arches will go in the loft till needed again as be all too easy to whack them whilst I finish the car.
Managed to get the dash back in and secured that makes it start to look like my car again.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:48 pm

Couple more things dug out and sorted earlier, wired up the new rev light with an auto connector it came with, found the bulb holder for the original fog lamp unit so that was reconnected to the loom and secured in back of the lamp with delicate fingers as really close to everything nearby.
Found the twin Austin Alegro handbrake cables and gave them some TLC before refitted and basic adjustment of the adjusters so both drums lock.
This was much easier with the arches still off
Cleaned and refitted the reflectors on the rear panel, as well as the fuel filter, pipework and fuel pump between the tank and the rear bulkhead, but this needs a bit more work to sort out correct fitting hoses incorporating an S bend.
Also dug out both wing mirrors one of which has a broken glass, no idea what manufacturer they are and as they were pretty good will look to fitting a stick on replacement glass rather than whole new mirror unit.

Made a list of things to source and a new to do list.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:56 pm

Good progress by the sound of it :)

I have nylon bolts (M5?) holding my rear wings on. They have been secure and have the advantage of not rusting into the rivnuts. When I had a mishap, a couple of the bolts stripped rather than damaging the alloy side skin so I'm glad I fitted them.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:23 pm

I recall your idea of the nylon nuts and bolts as I was doing the trial fit so have now ordered some Duncan.
rich

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:43 pm

I picked it up from the guys who race Caterhams :)

locost220

Postby locost220 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:03 pm

Gathering up a few things to keep the rebuild going, plastic nuts and bolts for rear arches have arrived.
People at Rally Design have done well sorting me out with replacement braided hoses, they were meant to be a new set of winwood sierra type as am sure that what the original set were, can't find the original package but that was about 12 years ago.
Turns out they would not have had the banjo ends so no idea what they were, after chatting to man a RD who gave me the bad news he got me to measure the original and once they had pics and info they made some in house.
Been contorting this old body reaching under the dash to sort some of the wiring, going to have to get under the dash next so not looking forward to that and probably need a rescue plan involving some vaseline and a winch,
Rich
Attachments
IMG_20200821_183302.jpg

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:05 pm

Been contorting this old body reaching under the dash to sort some of the wiring, going to have to get under the dash next so

isn't your dash separate from the scuttle Rich? and if it isn't, can't you make it so - then way easier to do the wiring upright and pop the scuttle on afterwards.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:30 pm

I hate going under the dash like that, I almost got stuck in my Elan. Now I sit with a mirror and do it all in reverse!

locost220

Postby locost220 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:25 pm

Fair point Mark, trouble is the scuttle gets attached by bolts hidden by the internal side panel that are already in. So ends up being chicken and egg, what with trying to protect the fresh paintwork still.
Just need to pad out the car floor over the box section, loose the shoes and dive in head first on me back.
Trouble is after crawling out 6 times to get the widgets I forget it gets harder and harder.
Maybe I can get some tips from Tom Cruise mission impossible style

SJLB

Postby SJLB » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:28 am

Like Duncan, I also nearly got stuck in the foot well! :oops:
Steve
Westfield Megabusa, Bromley, Kent.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”