Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Matth93

Re: Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Postby Matth93 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:10 pm

That does look like it has reacted to me, but if your sure it’s just down to the previous coat you could carry on building it up and then flat it down with some very fine wet and dry then either give it another light coat to finish it off or if you are using a gloss paint and not lacquering it just polish it up

locost220

Postby locost220 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:18 pm

Yea if it was the first coat I would have said the same Matt, I will hope for the best, I am using a base coat and a lacquer so let's see what happens.
All good fun and there always a few cans of satin black in Halfords.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:56 am

I took advantage of the home working and being able to step outside the home office (leave the dining table I have taken over) at16. 01 yesterday in the afternoon sun and drag out the items I have sprayed three coats on to lightly sand with 1200 and 1500 grit to try to remove any pips on the finish but also the glazing effect shown earlier. Still not convinced what it is and will see what another coat or two brings.
I do think my coats are too light as in I am probably moving too fast with the gun across the panel in fear of getting any runs. This is evident as after 3 coats I was previously expecting to be able to colour sand with the same to remove orange peel before a last light coat and then start lacquer.
The light sanding yesterday resulted in orange peel remaining but also going through the colour to the primer in places.
I also note that one of the items was fully primered in the proper spray gun primer and show no signs of glazing whilst others I toughted up with various varieties of rattle cans to save all the fuzz of the full on spray arrangements show glazing, but it might be where I had not fully righted the guts upsetting the air ratio.
There is certainly an art to the game.
I am enjoying seeing the process evolve, always fearful of doing to much paint or second coat too soon so assume I will need paint eventually that would be a challenge at present but have plenty to be getting on with when I can for now.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:38 am

Well done for persevering.

I had problems with paint reacting on a model aircraft. Fortunately, I had covered the wing in glass/epoxy. I sprayed with cellulose, then added stripes in another model paint. Within seconds it had all cracked like crazy paving. In the end I removed it all with nitromors and had to start from scratch. I've tried to avoid paint ever since, so I have a lot of respect for anyone who paints their kit!

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:37 pm

I would say that the panels that have glazed have reacted with the primer. I would rub down them panels and then prime them with proper primer not aerosol then flat down and spray with the colour and you should have no more problems on them. I know it’s a pain but otherwise you’ll just be wasting more of the colour paint

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:25 pm

Grrr, %€&&<#% bum.

Well before i read Matt reply I went for another coat this morning, this after I washed and dried the panels last night, left them in the booth with a heater to get rid of moisture check and redo a few bits later on last night and clean off with paint prep and rags again , mixed up and went for a test spray all good, few minutes later in the booth after everything had had a coat and all was not well, if you going to do something make a proper balls up of it hey, more like a leap rather than a step backwards. All 6 panels have issues so I have had to sand the effected areas back a fair bit back to fibreglass Not wanting to take it all to base as I have spent much time filling and flatting all the panels.
All panels back to base and hanging up drying of the moisture again. I can only assume I have contained the area with Acetone I use for the powder coating via cleaning cloth.
I am still hoping that using the proper spray primer over the sanded areas only will be sufficient.
Attachments
4604F2E4-FE3A-4168-AD48-86A28767B079.jpeg
D6E2EFE3-9EEB-43C5-805B-55FC6CE31245.jpeg

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:36 pm

Bugger :(

SteveRST

Postby SteveRST » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:57 pm

Sorry to read you're having some issues with the paint Rich. On the plus side, I love the colour!
Paint is one of those things I know nothing about, so I can't add anything constructive I'm afraid.
Westfield Zetec turbo & Westfield Megabusa turbo

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:14 am

loving the thread, if not the latest content - well you know what i mean; Pity that you're having issues is what i mean. Am sure you'll get there in the end.

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:53 am

persevere - you will crack this!
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

Return to “Car Related Discussion”