Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Weathers

Re: Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Postby Weathers » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:38 am

Richard I had something fairly similar with my Ecoboost when it was cold. It turned out that the cold running map was wrong and no matter what I did it wouldn’t start then idle when cold. The only way I could get past it was to start it and immediately boot it and once “past” that initial map it would settle down and be fine. It used to pop and bang then when it “woke up” it used to launch me up the road because I had my foot pinned to the floor. It made so much din that someone went on to a nosey neighbours forum and complained about the standard of my driving! Obviously not to my face.

Do you think it’s a mapping issue? It seems odd that it’s playing up over such a small Rev range. Is it ok above 2k rpm?

locost220

Postby locost220 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:37 pm

Thanks for the input all.@Chris myself and Matt have had a play a few weeks ago including plugging in his simple zetec ignition wiring system he has that connects to the coil pack, crank sensor and water temp ( if you want). And it drives exactly the same hence my belief it is more carb related with probably some ECU gains available once that is sorted.
Above 2000 it seems to pick up its skirt but as I am still feeling my feet as I build my Confidence in the car as it been a nut and bolt rebuild on local streets it hard to tell what's it like but on the motorway it certainly does 70 without any issue but still feels as if it has a miss or carb issue.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:56 pm

Although you are still having issues Richard, those issue are getting smaller so you are going forward now. Its the silly things that course the most problem, between you and Matt you will get it sorted and then there be no catching you.

Keep going mate.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Weathers

Postby Weathers » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:47 pm

Good luck getting it sorted. Nearly there!!

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:34 am

good to hear that you're getting some gentle miles on it Rich.

So whats the end plan with the fuel system? Now that you solved whatever the issue was that stopped it being tuned before - aren't you going to run TB's in 1 guise or another?

I had a horrible flat spot years ago on the 1st tiger. Not as low down teh rev range as yours, but around 2500 if i recall correctly. I think the graph showed something daft like it went from say 100bhp down to 70 for about 300 revs, and then came back fine. Problem was it was a speed that equated to being able to overtake in 4th or having to drop down to 3rd. Did my head in and took a while for it to be mapped into something that was barely noticeable.

Long winded way of saying; if the end goal is TB's, might make more sense to chuck on your existing ones and go get it mapped like that? Otherwise its 2 lots of rolling road, plus wonder whether just adjusting the carbs will sort it? If that engine has slightly revvier cams, is it as easy with carbs to potentially get rid of that kind of flat spot?

locost220

Postby locost220 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:01 pm

Was thinking which route to go myself the other day Mark given the low compression issues seem to have been sorted that may have been a lot of the issue

If to refit the original TBs back on with the high pressure pump etc and if it were to work if to take to BD engineering in sittingbourne for a set up as he does ME ECU tuning or back the Bristol who said the TBs were not right.

Or to get BD to do the same for the bike carbs as they are, get a few more miles on it so i am happy the rest of the car and ECU are okay then consider option above as TBs would be the end goal.

Just been on the phone to BD to book a session to sort out the drive ability at the moment with the present carb set up. As others are on leave at work I have gone for late March for now that will give me a chance to build up some funds and might even get the weather gear sorted beforehand.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:28 pm

personally, i;d take it somewhere that knows/understands the fundamentals and who isn't going to fudge a problem/answer.

By which I mean BD or whomever up in this neck of the woods, as long as they are likely to be able to give an honest opinion; and not just blame some other component.
I can't see what traipsing to Bristol would achieve over anyone else - unless they happen to be the undisputed best in the business at mapping.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:55 am

Me motorsport who ECU it is are based in Bristol but will say ur not going to get the best out the ECU on bike carbs but at present I can't afford what they recommend and i was gambling on the original TBs being sound.
When kev took his to BD he did some carb work and reconned the ME map on it that Matt had tweaked was good so I guess I am really hoping he sorts the carb issues on his RR essentially that we have not managed to do and Matt the wizard could have any other play required if BD don't touch the ecu

locost220

Postby locost220 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:35 pm

Been a while since last posting on this subject, took the Locost to DB Engineering a couple of weeks ago in the hope he could sort out the obvious carb issues, but was a non starter after 30 mins when he let me know that 2 of the screws had fallen out the slow idle jets under the carbs and after checking his motorbike neighbours who had none he could do no more on the day, fast forward 2 weeks and on the way there today in the drizzle I popped into a local upholstery to get final measurements taken for a bikini top, split torneo and rear boot area.
Depot paid and drop off arrangements made as I set off the weather got worse as I hit the motorway and wishing I had rainx on my specs or the bikini top already at least.
After a couple of hrs work on the car we had a couple of chats over what appears to be a fueling/possible cam timing issues that I need to dig into further.
By the grace of god the rain had stopped for the return home so at least I felt a bit more comfortable as I pondered next logical step.
Car is obviously still drivable just not nice to drive still.
Attachments
E0D75B1D-7627-4DCE-B035-7CEFBE828396.jpeg
F3A384D0-7883-4C88-A33D-DA34DE54BCDB.jpeg
6E81D0A0-864D-440E-BB67-62545E715D30.jpeg
7C9EBD2F-F5A6-4D7F-8A33-C48EA65273CF.jpeg

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:50 pm

Can't believe you are having so much trouble with this engine set up. So whats your next move then Richard ? you must of spent a good few quid on RR sessions and not got where you want to be, you must have the patience of a saint ;)
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Return to “Car Related Discussion”