Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

locost220

Re: Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Postby locost220 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:47 pm

Bit of a further update on panel prep and primer.

https://youtu.be/kFAqWp7mDeI
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:55 pm

Well done, keep plodding away at it.

Rob E

Postby Rob E » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:21 am

Loving these vids rich, great few action ones too , really enjoying watching this come together, keep them coming
Absofu?@inglutely

Orange Peel

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:31 am

just catching up on this and the last Vid......do keep 'em coming Rich, enjoying the process.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:56 am

Cheers guys,

struggling with a bit of a dilemma, think as car guys we would all have seen the depths that discovery Channel classis car type builders go to get perfect deep shine paint jobs, flating back primer through various grades of paper with flat blocks and mist coats of black paint, then the same with the base colour then months later with clear coat followed by different depths of buffing and polishing mops to get a trailer queen.
I can see after just doing some work these last few days flating back a few of the panels I have brought away with me I need to go back and primer these again with at least another two coats.
At this rate I have a prestine car and no petrol to run it on.
Never having done a full spray job I have nothing to gauge what effort required to get what result, added fibreglass panels come out of a mould made by a man in a shed, but would like to get a finish without orange peel.
But also know how I am likely to treat it afterwards.
Who amongst us has had a kit car painted and can comment on the results versa effort or conditions of the car panel before and during the process.

Discuss.

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:53 pm

If you get a nice smooth finish on the primer when you top coat it as long as you get a good few coats on you will be able to flat it back if there’s any orange peel. On the bits I’ve done I’ve always used a solid colour which doesn’t need lacquer on it, so is easier to flat back and then polish up if needed.
I’m not sure on flatting back a base colour before lacquering it I think if you do it may show the scratch marks through the lacquer.

Rob E

Postby Rob E » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:16 pm

Rich, I used to spray cars many many many years ago , get a filler primer if it’s showing defects after rubbing also if you want to flat out some finish then some very fine paper with soapy water will bring it to a nice even shine along with plenty or polish and elbow grease
Absofu?@inglutely

Orange Peel

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:17 pm

Hi rich just caught up and hats off to you, what you are doing is fantastic and you are learning so many new skills- guarantee I’d never have the patience, skills or knowledge to finish what you have started! Are you enjoying it and would you do anything differently so far?
9 is more than a number

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:49 pm

Phil N wrote:Hi rich just caught up and hats off to you, what you are doing is fantastic and you are learning so many new skills- guarantee I’d never have the patience, skills or knowledge to finish what you have started! Are you enjoying it and would you do anything differently so far?

Thanks Phil, Enjoying the work and learning new skills yes, not enjoying not having a car to take out ( but if I had another kit car it would take even longer ), finding some things taking far too long and not getting or spending enough time on it. Had to carry 5 leave days over to this year as no time to take them.
Also have to have a my time and family time mix.

It made no sense what so ever time and financially doing the rollcage myself, or not getting chassis powder coated, but again a bucket list thing.

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:10 pm

Hi Rich, Not sure if this will be any help re paint. The Fury was originally painted using yacht paint applied with a small foam roller and then flatted back with increasingly finer wet and dry before finishing with a fine cutting compound and polish. I'll be honest I didn't think it would be possible to replicate the finish on the side pods I repaired, but they came out pretty well too. With a bit more patience I reckon I could almost have matched the builders work which was flawless. Good luck with whichever method you settle on.
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

Return to “Car Related Discussion”