Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Weathers

Re: Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Postby Weathers » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:22 pm

locost220 wrote:Bit of a mixed bag today, up early to get the car out and loaded to get some more fuel and head to the local tyre/alignment shop, when the tech finally arrived he tried to fit the clamp on one of the rear tyres and even with the small ones on could still not get the clamp that goes on the thread section to go on so admitted defect before the car even saw a ramp.
Could not recommend anyone local who would fair any better so I called fellow Skcc er Jason for the contact details for the shop he uses in Croydon, so once I spoke to them he booked me in for next week but agreed to try the gauge out this afternoon rather than me waste taking another day off.

So with some time to burn I called and then went over to a trim shop in Bromley to discuss a tourneo , rear boot box cover and a sun / shower cap.
Prices later in week.
That done I decide to get a few more miles on the car and the cheap expendable tyres even though car clearly needs some carb/ECU work so took a slow drive to one of the railway depots I work at to show the car off to a few workmates who have followed me through the process, also a hr or so to have a cuppa or two and cuddle the office heater, bugger me it was a bit nippy.

The trip gave me a chance to try out the Tom Tom Velcro fixed mount as well, that seems to have handled the pot holes well as have the rest of the car as nothing seems to have fell off.

After a while I made it to Croydon place and after trying out the kit the man he say yes so all booked in for early next Wednesday.
Back home with about 30 miles done and once again warming up and not sure if the silly grin is from the cold or the amount of enjoyment today.

Making good progress.

Which trim shop did you go to? Did they give you a price on the storm cap?

locost220

Postby locost220 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:34 pm

Cass brothers in Bromley, could not give me a def price but in the £200-£300 range, they can’t do anything till the new year though.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:38 pm

Cass brothers, had some work done by them a couple of years ago, very good work and on time, they are on the more expensive side but there's not a lot of choice out there at the moment really
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Weathers

Postby Weathers » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:55 am

Thanks both. Appreciated. Did you take your car to them and let them measure up?

Soft bits say they’ll do something (eventually) but I need to leave my care with them. But for how long they didn’t say. I’m sure it could become a bottomless pit of time and they’d have it for yonks.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:30 pm

Took it to him for a look, he did a few basic measurements but more concerned with getting what I wanted, he suggested would need it for a few days when the time comes.
The sun cap will need a bit of laterial thinking as I have the cage.

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:49 pm

Thinking of getting a sun cap myself tbh. I think Mark had one done a few years ago ? i could be wrong. I wouldn't have thought it would be that difficult to do for them ? the frame of the roll bar is there and that will support the cap, it just needs something to tie it to the bar and down the rear roll bar stays.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:13 pm

Weathers wrote:
Soft bits say they’ll do something (eventually) but I need to leave my care with them. But for how long they didn’t say. I’m sure it could become a bottomless pit of time and they’d have it for yonks.

Softbits did mine without even seeing the car - they just asked for the measurement from windscreen to rollbar, that was it.

Weathers

Postby Weathers » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:13 am

nelmo wrote:
Weathers wrote:

Softbits did mine without even seeing the car - they just asked for the measurement from windscreen to rollbar, that was it.

The hood is possible remotely. The storm cap apparently not. I have a few ideas how they can improve their product having used one for 3 years so it’s in their own interest to do it… They are just too busy to take on any new work apparently.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:22 pm

Todays Trip straight to the Xmas breckie was a chance for more of a shakedown, and first motorway miles, highlighted a sticking calliper, erratic Speedo and some more work required on the engine set up.
Chance to rebuild a set of spare callipers including powder coat maybe for a reduced downtime and hopefully just a bit of adjustment for the. Speedo sensor.
Few ideas kicked around for the engine issues offered by Matt, Kev, Jason and Duncan.

The motorway speed were the first opportunity to experience the buffering of no windscreen and hearing the radio or Tom Tom seems a no no at present.
Last edited by locost220 on Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:31 pm

Your car looks great Richard 8-)
I wish I had been making suggestions, but it's out of my league. Well done to you and Matt for getting her running, I hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”