Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

locost220

Re: Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Postby locost220 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:30 pm

Finished with the wet and drying grades of the bonnet but before I started on the buffering grades I thought I would take advantage of the lack of rain a couple of hrs ago and drag out the wheels to see what might be needed.
I knew the proxy’s may need replacing, have a couple of new ones still in the loft, but worse still I knew a couple of the wheels might need a referb. After disturbing a few spiders and insects and a couple of sprays with degreaser and the garden hose I can see three do need some attention, 2 of which are a results some curbing and one has corrosion setting in where it was the bottom of the stack when stored on the damp ground.
Need to see if the manufacturer does a service or maybe go a bit more local.
Attachments
444440A0-B143-4EBE-8295-DF076FE7BECA.jpeg
404EAFB6-8C9B-462B-96BD-E9A2C0EBA493.jpeg
B5DD4F23-0D81-4865-8338-6076137A2DA0.jpeg
8FD36B56-3F62-45DB-AF74-F534A8281BA8.jpeg
56526F52-E417-4B95-ADDF-AD16663F898D.jpeg
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:17 pm

Managed to cross a few more things off the list in a two hr blitz earlier.
Straightened the pass side arch bracket and refitted the arch fully, moved a few boxes around so I could fit the drivers side arch fully.
Connected the dvrs side steering rack track rod end,
Roughly set the setting rack to it centre and then removed and repositioned the steering wheel to be centered.
Filled both diff and gearbox with oil.
Fitted the LED number plate light
Fitted both the side mirrors (going to have to watch myself when passing dvrs side)
Fitted all 4 wheels with a couple of nuts each.
Put a couple litres of fuel in the tank and got car started to check the fuel pressure was correct and yep still runs like poop.
Connected the clutch cable at both ends
Tried to fit the nose cone LED side lights but only to find the threads are a fine 8 mm thread unlike every other one you would expect and unlike any nuts I have so they may end up in the round filling cabinet if B and Q is a no no tomorrow.
In theory if I drop it on the deck tomorrow I should be able to drive it out the garage.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:32 pm

whey hey, good progress Rich.....

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:28 am

Good progress Rich.
In picture just above of your wheel showing the inside hub part, mine has gone like that as well, do you use a spacer ? I was wondering if the ali spacer has a reaction with the wheel hub ? I don't know but hopefully someone will ?
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:04 am

Not used spacers with these wheels Colin, they were made to measure so we were able to specify the back spacing required to fill the arches.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:48 pm

Just doing the first trial fit of the polished bonnet to see how she looks and fitting some foam paint protection between the mating surfaces.
Made a couple of templates for the inlet and exhaust trims I have yet to make by sticking painters low tack tape to the outside and marking the inside.
Now to find some left over Ali
Attachments
72172533-93B9-47E4-94FB-08E44C0423C0.jpeg

locost220

Postby locost220 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:54 pm

Had a couple of goes at making the Ali trim to go around the exhaust exit of the bonnet, did not like the in-consistency of the thickness of the bottom one so tried a different process with the second one that came out much better.
Need to finish cleaning it up a bit more before cutting the bottom strip off and starting on the inlet side.
Attachments
F245AB2F-24A2-4B21-9CCD-29F88D3C56A2.jpeg

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:41 pm

Well done for keeping on going Richard, I'm trying to get going with winter servicing and sorting the diff on my car :D

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:47 pm

Momentous day today.
After changing over the metal fuel pipe adaptor between the filter and pump for a shorter one, bleed out the bottom rad hose as was not convinced I had all the air out.

Gingerly lowered the car onto the garage floor for the first time and after a splash of petrol and double and triple checking I started it and eased it out the garage with the gentle susssing of a fresh clutch.
My concerns over how close the pass side arch gets to the exhaust on the end of my extensive left lock were confirmed and I need to fit a steering restrictor otherwise the clear and base coat will soon be affected.
Got the machine mart carb balancer and gas analyser fired up to see how things were after I had a fiddle with the balancing by ear during the week.
All seems okay for now to get the car on and off the truck on Wednesday for it trip to the wrapping co.
Had a go clearing out the mass of nuts, bolts, cable tie and insulating tape off cuts from the engine bay and nose cone area.
Tried out the hinge nose cone cable tensioner and could see that the number plate would scrape the floor if not too carefull so I shortened them both.
Put some air in all the tyres. Adjusted the tracking and camber by eye.
Wound up the suspension on the damper bases on all 4 wheels to give us a bit of leg room for the truck angle.
Did a bit more work on the adjustment of the bonnet catches to get it nice and square and as tight as I dare.
Could not resist a couple of runs up the 30 foot driveway to try the brakes out, umm no servo will take some getting used to.

Took a few pics to show the family.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:18 pm

Great day then, you should be proud :mrgreen:

Return to “Car Related Discussion”