Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

locost220

Re: Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Postby locost220 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:07 pm

I did not think twice about taking the flywheel off to jet wash the engine given I am used to a distributor.
There was no key on it so I had to go by the whisper mark on the flywheel that matched up with the balance hole on the end of the crank.
I imagine if I was one hole out that would be too far to fire at all being there are only 6 places it can go on.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:59 am

Yeah it’d be 60 degrees out, but you can’t bolt it on wrong one of the bolt holes is offset
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:32 pm

Well spent the last 5 hrs playing with the brakes again, starting with taking apart every union joint on the car, including the bleed nipples, not that easy with the car all but fully assembled.
Retightened them as tight as I dare and bleed through another 2 and half litres of fluid with the auto bleed.
Tried sitting in the car and trying out the pedal still seemed a bit spongy, so I pumped it a few times and held it down for a minute ( same as the SVA inspector made me do ) and like that fateful day it caused a couple of joints to weep, so took one joint apart off the car and reflaired both side and also grew a pair and tightened another a bit more.
Once rebleed I
dragged the daughter away from her pc to operate the pedal whilst I tried to turn the drums and disc with a pry bar and all seem far better with just a bit of movement on drivers side rear, rebleed that one for a bit
Happy to crack on and see how things go now.

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:54 pm

Well done with the brakes. The flywheel only fits on one way so if all the bolts are in then it’s correct. I have a few days off next week so I’m sure I could get over for a while if you need a hand.
Don’t forget I’ve got a towbar if needed, I’m sure we could work something out

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:40 pm

Thanks Matt will bear that in mind,
Well sneaked our for another session, pulled the injectors all out and left connected to the fuel and the wiring and sat them in some of the clear paint mixing cups and spun the engine over and all appear to be firing and squirting fuel.

What sort of fuel pressure should I have the reg set at ( sure I did this before the strip down )

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:22 pm

3 bar or 45 psi

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:03 pm

Bit more progress made today, replaced my plastic adaptor in the fuel line for one made by a work mate, then cleaned out the mounting threads for and put on the spare wheel carrier and number plate holder, wired up the number plate light wiring within the carrier.
Went for a rommage in the loft and dug our the front arch supports, fitted both them and the passengers side arch and a very flat wheel so I can work out if I had Want to have mud flaps or not
Attachments
1414569C-5CD6-46F4-894F-2F342A7BFCBF.jpeg

locost220

Postby locost220 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:15 pm

Week off this week, but not sure how much time I will get during the day times the rest of the week, given we should all have been in America and meant to be spending some time together as a trade off.
Good news other half decided to work today so I spent a while working out a mounting base for the bonnet across two black and decker work mate, then started wet and drying with 1500 grit the clear coat. Did this for about 4 hrs during the day and only tackled 1/4 of the bonnet thus far, so by the time I redo with 2000 and maybe 3000 plus the three different polishing compounds I will be a few hrs in.
Took some time out to go to a local ish vinyl wrapping place and arranged a date in Nov to take the car to get the rear arches done in clear protective wrap.
So I have a mini deadline to meet to get the car on its wheels, ideally with all panels fitted, most of the cage fitted and even better if the engine was running better.
Tried speaking to Me motorsport and waiting a call back to book in a RR session.

Got a few more things I can get done if I fancy a break from the wet and dry, a second acc cable, arches support need mounting and straighteng if required, etc.

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:35 pm

Where are you going for your rolling road session? Any guesstimates/sweepstakes on power?

locost220

Postby locost220 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:22 pm

I want to take it to the RR that works alongside ME motorsport who made the Ecu. Its their ECU that is designed to work the VV to the full
To be fair I just want to make sure I get my money worth out the Ecu as it substantially dearer than a simple switch one to turn the VV.
I also dont want to stress the engine though, something reliable and economical will do me.

Spent a couple more hrs earlier on the bonnet, managed to get a signal from the house WiFi and have some sounds and skcc videos playing to pass the time.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”