Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Fury1630

Re: Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Postby Fury1630 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:29 pm

Ah, probably not that then - worth a try I guess.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:58 am

And would hope after they had direct access to the car they would have ruled out any simple things so be interesting to see how it behaves once I get my old bike carbs on there.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

ChrisS

Postby ChrisS » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:11 pm

Sorry to hear of the hassles.

At it’s simplest, a throttle body is a hole. Unless the ones fitted on your car have a bore of about 10mm then I seriously question the need for new ones. Yes, bike TBs can have issues with the niceties of progression at very small throttle openings but otherwise, no problems.

Simple sums will tell you if they are up to the job. What bore are they, what power are you anticipating.

Same re the injectors really, can they deliver sufficient fuel for the expected power output and as you’ve had them checked, it seems unlikely they are to blame either.

Bear in mind the fuel system behind them needs to be up to snuff too.

I’d be extremely wary of throwing cash at a problem that doesn’t sound like it needs new TBs to me.

Please, let us have a bit more info like TB bore, injector flow rates, fuel pressure etc.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:52 am

Thanks for the thoughts, I will gather some info when back home, it is hard to understand why when the is clearly fuel the chambers and assuming there is a spark surly something should try to ignite.
May we get in contact withME to see how much checking of the ECU he did and I expect zero response if I ask for my money back when a £1200 of their recommended TBs does not work.

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:08 pm

Rich, sorry to invade your thread, but here's the photos of my nephews 100e running a 16.01 at the Pod with your old engine parts :D
Attachments
100e Santa Pod 1.jpg
100e Santa Pod 2.jpg

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:12 pm

Looks great Tony 8-) , but isn't that called rubbing salt into the wound?

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:16 pm

So the guys at ME suggested I do some basic checks on the engine such as compression and maybe check change the coil pack and leads.
After a few failed attempts getting the compression tester to screw into the head and now Armed with matts extension piece for the tester I managed to get some pretty disturbing low readings over 4 attempts.
Now when me and Matt tested the engine about 18 months ago they were all way over 100, probably 150 ish but cannot recall.
We did the head up as part of mini grounding getting the cam belt, tensioner, idler and water pump done whilst time allows and replaced valve stem seals and a mini grind of the valves.
Car started great after the refit but not since then

Once I got the readings on Saturday I begun to wonder if I had done the final 90 def pull on the heads bolts correctly.
A chat with Matt resulted in me deciding to pull the head today to either find a def head gasket or valve seal issues, realising this would probably not deal with all my issues as the car still run rough before and after the mini grounding.
I will have to decide if to refit this TB set up or the bike carb set up I am putting together.

I have checked the valves in as much as pouring fuel in the upturned head with the plugs in to see if it disappears, so far so good.
Matt has suggested I get the head skimmed whilst it is off as well.
Attachments
3EB6BAFA-2D92-4B58-B512-236094A42ACA.jpeg
86B05B36-4FA6-4829-B2BA-1A064A1869B8.jpeg
C3C10BB1-1AB8-4F56-9F9E-9A8B1AE8C70A.jpeg
9523AC2F-CD0E-45DF-A31A-7899AED1391E.jpeg
3D23779E-369B-4060-95B6-B55533F143E2.jpeg

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:49 am

If that last pic is you compression test results I'd say that's the problem not the intake. I've had a few low compression test results! Check the head for flatness, use a long steel rule, I think the tolerance is 1mm across the diagonal of the head. Use a new head gasket and if you're still having problems it's gotta be the pistons, either the bore is vocalised, the rings are shot or (in my case) you've got a broken piston.

It's at this stage where it's all an absolute pain and you'll feel like pouring some E10 (topical) over the car but you will get there, still with logic and be methodical. If you want a chat PM me for my number (unless you've already got it) happy to mull things over with you, but I'm no expert :lol: :lol:
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

locost220

Postby locost220 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:56 pm

Thanks for the input Chris, strange thing is the pressures were brilliant over a year ago even though it run like crap then as well.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:03 pm

Today I spoke to the local engineering company that I used to take the pinto stuff to and said I should be looking for 5 thou max tolerance across the head and Chambers
Just had a gander using a short and long ruler and cant get a 4 thou feeler gauge under anywhere so looking pretty flat.
Attachments
IMG_20210907_205118.jpg

Return to “Car Related Discussion”