Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

locost220

Re: Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Postby locost220 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:23 pm

ChrisL wrote:Fibre glassing looks like fun, albeit messy fun. I guess it's sanding and pointing next or are you going to keep the raw look!

Good luck getting the car started, you know it'll be something simple...

Yes Chris fibreglass is fun, messy and frustrating at the same time.
When I look back through the pics on my phones at the state some of it was in and the amount of repairs and work it has taken to get it looking respectable it obvious why it has taken so long so far.

Just been out and hopefully done what will be the last coats of the rollcage hoop, used loads of thinners ( to taste) to get it to a consistency to spray better, to flow out. The epoxy does rethicken quickly as I recall from when I have hand painted it, having to re add thinners during application.

As far as the shrould is concerned I have given it a few coats of filler primer and aiming on a light rub down to see if it is good enough for a satin black but has a couple of nicks around the hole so think it might need a light bit of filler and more filler primer all over to fill other air holes first.
Attachments
010C2A8E-33F1-4FD1-ACEC-5DCD5F6D9FB2.jpeg
066D1485-4C44-42E4-BCF4-85BA5AC23287.jpeg
135EAC18-130F-420B-B059-41F2BF6C603C.jpeg
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:59 pm

The shroud looks very good Rich, that should come up nice once painted.
This whole project is getting near the final push, cant wait to see the finished car all painted and gleaming.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

locost220

Postby locost220 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:54 pm

Thanks Colin.
The roll hoop seemed to look fair after the latest coat of the epoxy so I broke out the last can of the 2k satin clear coat and warmed it on the house rad for an hour before shaking it and then using the special top to break the internal bladder via the plunger on the base of the can, bit more mixing then gave the hoop and one of the top rails a couple of coats, just checked and all looking good.
Waiting for a couple more cans to arrive to finish it off and started plans to fit the cage with a mate, will be a min 3 man job for the main and top pieces.
But he’s a bit crook so may have to look elsewhere in the short term.

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:28 pm

Let me Know Rich if you need a hand, could come over after work on Saturday ?

locost220

Postby locost220 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:17 pm

Cheers for the offer Colin, but now looks like I have managed to rope in one of my brothers and original mate and his Dad to put the side fixings in as we hold it, which is the main issue getting the main hoop on at the same time as the top rail.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:23 pm

Mates came round a few hrs ago, so I had already pushed the car out the garage, laid out all the parts to be fitted after clearing out the holes and trial fitting all the bolts yesterday.
Please to report it all went on without many issues and not a scratch in sight.
Attachments
5A0C61E2-DB6A-48D4-A826-C4A2C65784CB.jpeg
BAE3B2FF-5DFE-409E-916A-1786C2557120.jpeg

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:40 pm

That sounds like good news to me Rich, all coming along nicely.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:28 pm

Please to report it all went on without many issues and not a scratch in sight.

Excellent :mrgreen:

locost220

Postby locost220 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:39 pm

Had a call set up with Me Motorsport this evening where they dial into your ecu via Teamviewer software and ECU connected via a set of leads to the laptop.
But before that I decided to change the crank sensor for the spare that arrived last week, I did not hold my breath as already knew I had sparks on the plugs, nada
Trust me to have a less than fully charged car battery so a quick game of musical cars and untangle the jump leads and battery charger leads then prize the daughter laptop away by replacing it with her I Pad, sort out the mobile hot-spot on my phone so laptop has a signal in the garage, get me gone all teckke (daughter did it)

Then dial up the man holding the Fort today and he got me to crank it over a few times whilst observing the results, first he was concerned about dip in voltage to the ecu on the first mico second as the starter motor starts to crank, so I quickly wired the ecu to the positive of the battery followed by the earth as well
They he checked a few things on the next few cranks including confirming we were losing the signal from the cps on cranking or at least disturbing it.
He turned the ignition off on the Ecu software and then the signal from cps seemed more stable so he thinks I need to check for cracked plugs, badly fitting leads on spark plugs and recheck earths as he thinks it ignition noise that is causing my biggest issue.
Will do so but also wire the ecu direct to battery in the short term as well and try again.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:26 pm

Decided after looking over the car with mates who helped me fit the roll cage that the yellow of the trims fitted on the bonnet does not really go with the bonnet so they need to be changed for probably a satin black instead, so after removing the 4 pieces tonight I have started to remove the powder coating by using paint stripper and I had hoped the media blaster but it amazing how much more tougher the PC is over painting and the media barely touching it.
So a few coats of what I feel is a very much green nytromorses and a scraper seems to be making some progress.
Attachments
B96DBD84-AE0D-4199-990C-08DACEC223F9.jpeg
EEA3F6F1-981D-41D3-BD31-21E082ADD4FB.jpeg

Return to “Car Related Discussion”