My MEV GType build - MX5 Mk2 donor

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

greenwoo
Site Admin

Re: My MEV GType build - MX5 Mk2 donor

Postby greenwoo » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:26 pm

woo hoo...shiny shiny oooomph.

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:01 pm

greenwoo wrote:woo hoo...shiny shiny oooomph.

Yep should make for an interesting B road blaster mate

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:13 pm

So after a bit of time waiting for ECUmasters to send a Mk2 crank trigger sequence to Nick at Skuzzle its now home safe and sound.

Lessons:
I had changed the mk2 (ecu controlled) alternator to a brand new mk1 one, top dollar not ebay cheapo and it failed in 5 mins of running, Nick put another brand new one on... 5 mins it failed. Nick then put a second hand one off a mk1 he had kicking around and all works perfectly.

So even if you buy from an ebay seller/parts wholesaler that charge top dollar it means sh*te all.

Nick called to update me on the car this morning and he was gobsmacked at the Dyno of my car, 136bhp at the wheels (160 approx at the Flywheel!!) He genuinely couldn't believe it! The book says 140fwhp from the factory, he asked if the car had cams or headwork done. Nope its a standard 1.8 with MAF and carbon canister removed and a K&N Typhoon, standard exhaust manifold and my home made exhaust. Emissions all good for IVA too.... CHUFFED doesn't come close to how I feel with the car back here now and driving it into the garage. The donor was a very good, lower than average mileage and FSH

Also Im amazed at ECUmasters technology and the teeny tiny size of their amazing ecu.
Anyone that is close enough to use Skuzzle I would highly highly recommend Nick, he really knows his stuff and doesn't give up. He's a lot lot younger than most of us in this club but his passion for what he does is infectious.

I'll definitely be going back there come the summer and supercharger time.

He didnt charge to pick up or drop off the car as he had it a while and the bill came in and £80 under my guesstimate so I gave him an 80 quid cash Xmas drink....

PS. IT SOUNDS AMAZING!!!! Exhaust note is low and crisp and the unmistakeable K&N induction roar!

Last edited by Hammy on Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:40 pm

Excellent result, should be on the road soon then :D
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:50 pm

Tony C wrote:Excellent result, should be on the road soon then :D

YEP could be mate, a couple of weekends work but I now have 3 project cars on the go, admittedly one is my daily and 1 is another 5 for my next donor, I bought the 5 as I kept hearing about David T and Andy F going to car meets and I was all like 'I wanna go' LOL :lol: :lol: ......
It will be ready for March if not before

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:59 pm

Here's said 5, its sweating already as it knows the end is nigh everytime I open the garage and it sees the GType :lol:

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:27 pm

bloody hell, are you trying to corner the market on mx5's?
nice result from skuzzle :D

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:26 pm

greenwoo wrote:bloody hell, are you trying to corner the market on mx5's?
nice result from skuzzle :D

Maybe or maybe getting them before they go up in price too much because of Vultures like us lot :lol: :lol:

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:49 am

So its been a quiet couple of months for me what with one thing and another! However I am applying for an IVA date this week and am aiming for April.

I got back out in the garage this weekend fitted the dash, light switches and final fixed the dash shroud....

The instructions that come with the Acewell are really very good indeed, its such a good package for the price.

Ive got two pairs of mirrors, It's 50/50 on whether the smaller ones will pass IVA and so I will be fitting the bigger ones for now

A couple of more updates to come and then Im ready, Ive also got a full week in the garage in March for all final pre IVA touches.

Cheers all! :-)

Rexholme

Postby Rexholme » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:35 pm

Nice. Love the look of that Acewell, is that the ACE-7659 and ACE-7859 (I.e lap-timer)?

Return to “Car Related Discussion”