My MEV GType build - MX5 Mk2 donor

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Hammy

Re: My MEV GType build - MX5 Mk2 donor

Postby Hammy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:39 am

Some more progress. A lot of what Ive been doing isn't really that photo worthy as I have been doing a lot of wiring. However this weekend I got my rear wings fitted....

I used a lot of Tiger seal to fix them to the wing stays, I keyed the powder coating before hand

Ive also fitted very cool number plate bolts using an old plate I had to get positioning correct.Image

On the demo car it has one fog and one reverse on the rear cover, I didnt like the non symmetrical colour match and so I have two fogs and have fitted a reverse light above the number plate....

Lastly I have started fabbing my dash panel to take my Acewell and various switches. Im waiting the Exocet specific cowl from MEV but in the meantime used the OEM parts as a pattern...ImageImage

More to come on this, for now though its back to yet more wiring! :-)

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:19 pm

Crap update without pics, loads has gone on with wiring. Car goes to Skuzzle Motorsport on 23rd for a week for ECU, engine loom and fast road geo set up. OH and Supercharger was delivered this week for fitment after IVA test. All's well :D :D :D

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:34 pm

Will update tomorrow on my dash design / build.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:47 pm

Supercharger 8-)

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:01 pm

A very quick update......

Instrument cowl nearly finished...
So here's the dash, the panel isnt bonded in this photo but I have now bonded it and its a nice flush fit. Quite a bit of work just to get the switches in my reach for the IVA man. Post IVA it will just be the Acewell up front with no cowl.

The mounting bracket that came with the overflow tank was naff to say the least, a lightbulb moment and I got this from halfords.....

A whole 4 quid!!!

And then I quickly mocked up a temp solution for the fuel filler so that the car can to Skuzzle on Friday this week. Its neat but very tight and will put stress on the bodywork so I am ordering a 90 deg and 45 deg Gates hose from CBS and an Ali coupling which will be perfect and no stress anywhere...

So need to bleed the clutch tomorrow and then its ready for Skuzzle boys picking it up on Friday. Im off for the week and will crack on with other jobs for IVA. It will be good to have the car gone for a few days to have a clear up in the garage and start refurbing the supercharger..

The list of jobs is now getting very short indeed.

Cheers guys

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:04 pm

nice one John,what are you getting Skuzzle to do to it?

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:11 pm

greenwoo wrote:nice one John,what are you getting Skuzzle to do to it?

They are fitting an ECUmasters ECU and doing the engine loom, there are so many variations of the mx5 engine, sensors and wiring diag differences I thought it would be easier to get them to do it and set the engine up for IVA emissions. Also they will be doing the supercharger install post IVA which includes rolling road at no extra charge. I may also get them to do geo but depends on time they have as they are always chocka booked

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:27 am

Sounds like you're nearly there then, you've made good progress since I came over when I don't recall mention of a supercharger :shock:
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:45 am

Tony C wrote:Sounds like you're nearly there then, you've made good progress since I came over when I don't recall mention of a supercharger :shock:

Thanks mate, ref the SC I was probably so confused with the Mazda switches at that point that i forgot to mention it. It such an easy route to power on these engines, Mazda did such a good job on the design that theres not much to be had power wise from TB's etc.

Im not after crazy power, I still want it drivable on the road near its limits. Looking for about 170-190bhp, no intercooler reqd sub 200
Last edited by Hammy on Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hammy

Postby Hammy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:14 pm

So Nick from or 'of' Skuzzle fame came and took her away today, great to see it out in the real world, I think it looks awesome and loads of compliments from Nick on my build....

So now I have an empty garage and work to do on the rear tank cover but I decided to start on this post IVA bad boy......

It was already mechanically refurbed so was just cosmetics, I may still do an oil change for my own peace of mind..
ImageImage

Soooo close now but loads of time pre my self set deadline. When it comes back I still have Acewell and rear lights to do and then IVA prep

Return to “Car Related Discussion”