Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

locost220

Re: Locost ''Eleanor'' Rebuild

Postby locost220 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:23 pm

Managed to fit a choke cable that now makes it a lot easier to start.
Making plans for a local tyre shop to check set the tracking and camber but need to fit a small set of wheels (13 ) so they can get their gauges on, so I presently working on getting them to hold air.

Put it all back together and did a few loops of my local roads as the start of some shake down miles.

Seems rough running between 1000-2000 rpm then makes a nice rasp above 2000
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:36 pm

Well done Rich, Bike carbs are slightly difficult to get sorted, mainly due to different jets for different parts of the rev range, lower down issues could well be down to mixture settings or maybe the idle settings.
Am no guru, it's just info I've realised while trying to get my carbs better.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:15 pm

Sorted out the two dodgy 13 inch wheels I need to fit for the local tracking man and set about fitting them with wheel spaces due to the different off set.
At the same time I had a go at adjusting the camber on the drivers side, by cracking the top ball joint and turning out the ball joint one full turn.
4 spoke RS are classic but not sure if they would grow on me, maybe if I referred them and coloured the inlays in the spokes blue.
Hoping to be first in the Q tomorrow morning.
Thanks for the advise Jason, have decided to leave playing with the carbs till at least after the tracking is done as it at least should get me there.
Attachments
318582C1-3208-41F5-891F-41794FC06194.jpeg
40C91C47-531D-439B-8967-24693B4AC4C4.jpeg

locost220

Postby locost220 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:10 pm

Bit of a mixed bag today, up early to get the car out and loaded to get some more fuel and head to the local tyre/alignment shop, when the tech finally arrived he tried to fit the clamp on one of the rear tyres and even with the small ones on could still not get the clamp that goes on the thread section to go on so admitted defect before the car even saw a ramp.
Could not recommend anyone local who would fair any better so I called fellow Skcc er Jason for the contact details for the shop he uses in Croydon, so once I spoke to them he booked me in for next week but agreed to try the gauge out this afternoon rather than me waste taking another day off.

So with some time to burn I called and then went over to a trim shop in Bromley to discuss a tourneo , rear boot box cover and a sun / shower cap.
Prices later in week.
That done I decide to get a few more miles on the car and the cheap expendable tyres even though car clearly needs some carb/ECU work so took a slow drive to one of the railway depots I work at to show the car off to a few workmates who have followed me through the process, also a hr or so to have a cuppa or two and cuddle the office heater, bugger me it was a bit nippy.

The trip gave me a chance to try out the Tom Tom Velcro fixed mount as well, that seems to have handled the pot holes well as have the rest of the car as nothing seems to have fell off.

After a while I made it to Croydon place and after trying out the kit the man he say yes so all booked in for early next Wednesday.
Back home with about 30 miles done and once again warming up and not sure if the silly grin is from the cold or the amount of enjoyment today.
Attachments
F28FFBC6-9FCE-4D8B-A453-6F6D56612376.jpeg

locost220

Postby locost220 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:59 pm

Busy and unusual day for me today, given I am not known for being that keen on car cleaning or detailing I had a mission to complete.
Starting a few days ago with a visit to Halfords to get some products so this morning as the sun come up with a full wash of the Locost with a wax less shampoo using two buckets so I could rinse the mitt before taking more fresh / shampoo water. Then a dry off with a towel, then a session with a tar remover, then a metal spot remover.
Put a tarp down in the garage to push the car on as I started a clay bar clean of the car, followed by a alcohol wipe over.
All this to make sure the car was as clean as possible including any waxes or polishes, in preparation for a hand applied ceramic coating in an attempt to protect my home brew paint job, improve the rain beading effect etc.
This last part was made slightly harder by being inside the garage and more than a bit chilly given the solution I decided to use Armour shield 9 has to be buffed off once it has started to flash, that being harder to see due to the lighting and taking longer than expected due to the temp.
Finished off about 6 pm with sore back and arms, but hopefully a day we’ll spent if it last the suggested 2-5 years.
Need to keep it dry now for 7 days, so see how it looks in the daylight tomorrow.
Attachments
282148F2-A078-42AF-BE02-2D9C12135789.jpeg
64E05BE5-8A93-459C-9A3B-090AEA156C3A.jpeg
E031BC75-9D78-4A16-BF34-87B605659C2D.jpeg
0CB3E4A4-5AF3-4882-A1EE-9A6956F30428.jpeg
019EC744-D76F-482D-9696-CEE01A9CCFDE.jpeg
43643736-FAF8-470C-9A79-2FE7B796ACFA.jpeg

SJLB

Postby SJLB » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:16 pm

Looking good Rich. I'm sure you've got a neater solution in mind for the exhaust clamps?
Steve
Westfield Megabusa, Bromley, Kent.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:48 pm

SJLB wrote:Looking good Rich. I'm sure you've got a neater solution in mind for the exhaust clamps?

That to impale the wildlife before they reach the paintwork :)

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:26 pm

Hi Rich, How'd it go today at the chassis geometry set-up session ?

locost220

Postby locost220 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:36 pm

Yep all good Jason, although it was dark and damp as I left home it was still nice to get out in the car, still running rough despite my fiddling last week.
He took the car for about an hr and had to do a bit on the tracking on both sides and camber on one side. He did say he would send me the printout but might have to chase that.
Decided to take the opportunity and took a drive towards the m25 roundabout via the caterham bypass and made it to the dizzy 55mph
Before going round and back towards Croydon and home.
Gave the car a good wash as well as the proper wheels and tyres that can now go back on.
Attachments
B014E575-2103-4A18-BD22-7A2F6B1D67EF.jpeg

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:40 pm

Fantastic news, am glad they managed to get it sorted for you at quite quick notice :)

Return to “Car Related Discussion”