The end of our cars?

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

Richard

The end of our cars?

Postby Richard » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:21 pm

It seems that as part of a drive to update vehicle regulations, the DfT are proposing making it illegal to modify a vehicle (they call it tampering).
Quote: "We will create new offences for tampering with a system, part or component of a vehicle intended or adapted to be used on a road."
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... #questions
Whether this is intended only to apply to future vehicles or will be a blanket restriction is not made clear. Neither is the scope of the ban spelled out but the wording appears to cover any changes from original spec, even cosmetic ones.
There is a survey for comment on the proposals, which must be done by Nov22nd:
https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/ETVHG5/
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control, Quaife LSD. Now with big brother 1973 TR6 being totally body-off restored.

nelmo

Re: The end of our cars?

Postby nelmo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:44 pm

I don't think this is anything to do with kits - it's all about future, automated cars, to make laws against people tampering with their systems...stop people trying to hack them, I guess...

DJ.

Re: The end of our cars?

Postby DJ. » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:03 pm

nelmo wrote:I don't think this is anything to do with kits - it's all about future, automated cars, to make laws against people tampering with their systems...stop people trying to hack them, I guess...

That was the impression I got reading it, but sometimes laws have unexpected consequences.

I spoke to a German Caterham owner when I was at Goodwood once and over there you can't change anything. His Seven was approved with a rear exit exhaust, and he wasn't allowed to change it to side exit.

Return to “Car Related Discussion”