New Car battery required

Need help from a fellow owner, something to air - discuss away!

Moderator: Contaminated

ChrisL

New Car battery required

Postby ChrisL » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:27 pm

Went to start the Tiger for it's MOT this morning and dead battery! And now it looks like it's not holding a charge so time for a new one, which is a shame given that Kenton bought this one from a motor factors at the side of the Autobahn some years ago!! (You haven't still got the receipt? :lol: )
So what to go for, a light lithium ion thing ala an Odyssey or stick with a sealed lead acid, thought and opinions please.

Cheers
Chris
Yes I've been drinking, what of it!!

nelmo

Re: New Car battery required

Postby nelmo » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:32 pm

I changed mine recently and was considering a Li one but was put off by the cost and some descriptions saying they can be damaged by heat. Maybe not a problem in a better ventilated bay or if you have the battery in the boot but I didn't want to risk it - stayed with the basic Halfords job.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:05 pm

Lithium as Neil says are very expensive, they don't like being fully discharged and can be explosive is misused. All in all, I would avoid them as the weight saving isn't going to make a massive difference for a road car.
A half way option is an AGM battery like Odyssey Extreme, I thought about one of those last time, but was a cheapskate in the end and bought a standard battery.

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:07 am

I've used the Odyssey batteries in the Fury & now in the Stylus, can't say I've had any problems with them & they are the size of a car stereo so easy to mount. If you go for one I have an aluminium cage to fit one lying unloved in the garage.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:29 am

Tayna.com are very good prices and I've had exceptional support from them when needed.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control, Quaife LSD. Now with big brother 1973 TR6 being totally body-off restored.

davehall

Postby davehall » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:53 am

I have a hardly used Odyssey Extreme PC680 sitting on my garage floor (and a cage I think) that you’re welcome to have for not much money. It hasn’t been used for a good while so not sure of the condition.
Westfield SEiW 1.8 Zetec, Jenveys, Omex

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:44 pm

Thanks for the offer Dave, I suspect that the issue will be getting it to me as I'm up in Bedfordshire and I doubt the post will work for a battery.

I'd be interested in a cage for a 680 Dave or Tony I guess that could be posted but would understand if you don't want the faff of posting...

Cheers
Chris

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:14 am

Sorry, I've been off line, did you still want the battery cage?
IMG_20211016_071243125.jpg

ChrisL

Postby ChrisL » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:46 am

Yes please, if you can post it?
Let me know what you want and what I owe for postage and a payment method, PayPal/bank transfer via a PM.

Thanks
Chris

Return to “Car Related Discussion”