Quick vs Slower member runs

Members are encouraged to post details of local runs, a way of meeting owners in your own area.

Moderator: Contaminated

Contaminated

Quick vs Slower member runs

Postby Contaminated » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:49 pm

After a quick conversation with Mark earlier about how we are managing a run on Sunday I thought this was worth a post.

I'd hate to think that we're losing out on numbers on runs out because members think we drive too quick or too slow - mostly that we drive too quick!

For the record we very much promote a "safety first" culture. The last thing we need is a reputation based on broken metal.

Given the above, let us know what you need. On Sunday I will have my son in the car and Ash will be taking his car on its first proper run - so it will be steady. Another group will get a move on and we'll meet for breakfast in Deal.

Bear the above in mind and come for a drive!

Dan

Ben_Copeland

Re: Quick vs Slower member runs

Postby Ben_Copeland » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:53 pm

Thats very well put Dan, i'm glad you posted this as my car currently would struggle even with Ash's i'd imagine lol and to be honest it has put me off a little bit. Although there are other factors which have stopped me coming along.....
Ben

On the road, but never finished....

Contaminated

Postby Contaminated » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:04 pm

That's exactly the point Ben. I get as much pleasure from a potter to a cafe or pub in a convoy as I do a serious hoon - probably more on a sunny evening actually.

AshG

Postby AshG » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:33 pm

im not worried about going fast. im worried i cant go fast lol. i have no idea of the normal pace or what sevens other than mine are truly capable of. when i went out the other night i destroyed my mates 190bhp vvti celica down the twisties but he reeled me in like kipper on the dual carriage ways.

now that the car is built and on the road my upgrade list is growing faster by the day

1. aero screen or screen
2. toyo t1r's or r1r's (are the r1rs r888's really worth all the extra money?)
3. change rear springs to 250lbs
4. laser align
5. corner weight
6. fit bigger engine
7. 4pot brakes

going to try and do the tyres and alignment tomorrow the rest will happen when they happen.

James

Postby James » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:34 am

Nice post dan well said,

Ok im one of the people who does like a spirited blat and i have a certain group of friends i go out with if spirited "damn right stupid fast". is what i feel like doing that day, but on the other hand i also like to just drive the 7, nothing beats a nice country road with 5 or more mates just crusing along! Maybe on larger grouped events 2 groups is good, but when people post a blat ect maybe it should state erm spirited or normal..

Ash,

i have rearranged your list for you :)

7. 4pot brakes - no matter how good you look it's not worth s*** if you cant stop!!!
3. change rear springs to 250lbs - Make your car drive like you want it before cosmetic upgrades
1. aero screen or screen or crash hat untill you do other things like brakes :)
2. toyo t1r's or r1r's (are the r1rs r888's really worth all the extra money?) R888's are in the dry but very bad in the wet :shock:
4. laser align - makes the car feel so more planted
5. corner weight - Really makes a difference on track and on fast twistys
6. fit bigger engine - Depending on how serious you are on this then get it done before corner weighting as it will throw it out!

plug

Postby plug » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:24 am

Nice one Dan. I like a spirited drive but my idea of spirited and other peoples idea of spirited may , and probably are, two different things!! 8-)

Ianz18Avon

Postby Ianz18Avon » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:13 pm

Nicely said Dan and a point worth making,
Some of us are owners and some of us are builder/owners, I think that theres more of an emotional connection with a car, when you've built that car yourself or have bought one and have rebuilt it, than just buying it of someone elseand running it. Yes I like spirited at times but I know what its like to spend 3 years building a car and to then see it towed away after a heavy impact, it is truely gutting, so I think that there are some people put off of some of the runs because they feel its gonna be more like a race than a run out.

Ian

2kwik

Postby 2kwik » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:41 pm

More emotionally connected if you built it rather than bought it?? :lol: Get me a ferkin' hanky. The thread was about going fast or not - if we need a counsellor, I'll bring one tomorrow. I have to say, if the car in front is going too fast, don't go after it. With British roads and traffic, you'll find them at the next roundabout. ;)
Fun is not a straight line

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:28 pm

Guys i've been toying whether to 'moderate' this thread or let it runs its course. I'm a bit concerned that folks reading this may well get a bad impression of something that was a really simple comment so, in the spirit of free speech here's a few thoughts: if someone really wants to reply, so be it, but take care with the words that you choose.
1/ My conversation with Dan was more along the lines of splitting the group so that no one felt they had to keep up, nothing to do with flat out speed, more the logistics of keeping a group of 8 cars together. I've been on runs with other clubs + associations and it ain't always fun to be tail end charlie when the other cars have all managed to overtake a caravan and you're left on your own, in fact thats exactly when the 'wrong' overtake can occur - perceived pressure to get back on terms.
I merely suggested spliiting the group into 2 - or rather having someone (Dan ) 1/2 way in the initial group to take over if there was a split.
2/ Perhaps there are folks who havent come out because of the thought that some of the 'members' runs are occasionally too quick. Frankly i find that hard to digest as there's never been any reference to driving quickly for anyone to garner such an impression, nor has anyone been out on such a run and not come again.
3/ there to my knowledge has ever been anything implied that a 'spirited' run is a race or in reality fast. If i've used the term i merely refer to making good progress, overtaking where practical and safe.
4/ the members runs through here that i've been part of ( only ones i can comment on ) have taken into account conditions/sensible ettiquette and safety, and moreover the actual folks that are part of such a run out - which whihout checking hasn't amounted to more than 4-5 cars at a time. Hence my comments in point 1.

I too like a gentle run, although when possible like to try and get some clearish roads - not to hoon around like an idiot, merely to avoid sitting behind 10 cars that are following a caravan or horse box. The quick stuff is for the track.

As Dan said in the 1st post, this should all be about safety. I think somehow the intent of that message has got lost and we've ended up going off on a tangent that is in reality a red herring.

If anyone is reading this who hasn't been out on a run with us in this part of the world, don't be put off, in fact , make a point of coming along, you'll be welcomed and taken care of!

End of!

2kwik

Postby 2kwik » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:07 pm

das is gud, herr general! (pronounced with a 'hard' g) und vill zee you in der morgen.
Das und undeed.... :D
Fun is not a straight line

Return to “Members Run Outs”