Brands Hatch Taster Sessions 23rd March

Members are encouraged to post details of local runs, a way of meeting owners in your own area.

Moderator: Contaminated

Hugh

Re: Brands Hatch Taster Sessions 23rd March

Postby Hugh » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:55 pm

Good to meet some new faces tonight, and blow the cobwebs away on the tintop!

Hugh
(eagerly awaiting shots of the Toledo on its mirrors going rounds druids!! here sometime tomorrow

greenwood03

Postby greenwood03 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:14 pm

Beauty, as you said Hugh blew the cobwebs away. Mmmm time to find a proper afternoon or evening to do.......

Nash

Postby Nash » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:07 pm

So a good time was had? Nothing to report? No lap records broken?

Was their many cars there in total? Was it good value for money? Was it enough time or was it finished too quickly?

Questions, questions.............. come on people need to know :?: ;)

....................Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Hugh

Postby Hugh » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:15 am

I had a good time, I've done a couple of days at Lydden and one Brands taster session before and was feeling held up by what should have been much faster stuff so in future I'll do open pit lane events; that said if you want it for an introduction to the track or car shakedown they are ideal. 20 minutes on track is about right for a single stint without checking the car over, especially if its one of the first track days you've done; and some of the <cough> more mature members were reporting being knackered and having sore shoulders by the end of the session. We also have a budding replacement for Captain Slow within our midst... :twisted:

greenwood03

Postby greenwood03 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:11 am

Neil. The taster sessions are just that, either an introduction to those who might be interested in a longer - afternoon/morning, but who perhaps arent sure.
20 mins gets you: 2 sighting laps ( sometimes 3 ) following line astern, showing newbies the lines. And then pace car pulls over and way you go. Its desogned for guys that are really novices, as Hugh said, there's little value for the more experienced track day driver - and they're not encouraged to partake. That said its a nice way to get back into the swing of things at the begiining of the 'season'.

Once the pace car has gone that leaves you with enough time for about 14/15 laps. 20 mins is about right for novices, and for their cars. I think that they are a great idea, whether someone wants to test the water without lumping out a lot more for a full session, or just to say that you've done it!

Briefings are always good with MSV ( who run Brands ), its as safe as you can get, and you're unlikely to rag the car to death.

Oh and Hugh - I thought that we'd made a pact not to talk about our very own James May?

Contaminated

Postby Contaminated » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:44 am

I had a really good time. I've done one taster session before, and that was a very nervous affair! Armed with some much better tyres last night was a totally different experience. I was quicker everywhere except Paddock where my current braking issue shows up a bit (slight pull to the left which unsettles the car going in).

I really appreciated the first couple of slow laps to get my eye in and then I put my foot down for the first half of the session. It was nice to be overtaking people this time and I was surprised what I could keep up with down the main straight now I'm happy to rev the car a bit higher.

I slowed up a bit for the last third or so because I was trying to work on my lines (which are still rubbish!) and my shoulders were aching!

I'm going to get my front calipers off and stick some Green Stuff pads in and then think about one more taster or an open pit lane.

Dan

Contaminated

Postby Contaminated » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:58 am

greenwood03 wrote:
Oh and Hugh - I thought that we'd made a pact not to talk about our very own James May?

Yes, especially as he bought the beer after!

plug

Postby plug » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:54 pm

And there was me thinking it was a taster session for people with no experience of their cars, silly me. Be careful next time you do a track day as your helmet might not fit!!!! ;)

Contaminated

Postby Contaminated » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:29 pm

You're not alone mate, I got it after the first session I did. I specifically remember Mark asking me "how come you drive like a **** on the road and like Captain Slow round a track" :lol:

greenwood03

Postby greenwood03 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:14 pm

Oooi, i havent said a word - its Hugh that started the Captain Slow malarky.
Dave i thought you were spot on learning the car after only having done a few hundred miles since buying it - my views are even more tempered by the beer, cheers for that!

Return to “Members Run Outs”