Sunday 2nd May Edenbridge start to join the East run.

Members are encouraged to post details of local runs, a way of meeting owners in your own area.

Moderator: Contaminated

SJLB

Re: Sunday 2nd May Edenbridge start to join the East run.

Postby SJLB » Sun May 02, 2021 7:58 pm

It was good to get out for breakfast even if I didn't make the run. Came back up the A21 with Kev & Mat which was fun. Must get the car back in one piece this week!
Steve
Westfield Megabusa, Bromley, Kent.

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun May 02, 2021 9:24 pm

It was brilliant to finally get out on a proper breakfast run. Nice to see you all, it's been too long!

Sounds like everyone enjoyed the route mainly thanks to Richard. There were a few drops of rain and I had a hail shower on the way home, but the roads were dry enough to push on at times and we saw the sun.

Company at breakfast was great and chatting afterwards meant I was much later home than I should have been!

I can't do next Sunday, but hope to see you the following weekend :D

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Sun May 02, 2021 9:48 pm

Hi Guys, Many thanks for for inviting me for today's run out, I had a great drive out for my first serious drive in the locost and thank you to everyone for making me feel welcome. The pics above are great, I only wish I had seen whoever it was checking their oil level at the 1066 stop as it might have saved me quite an issue I had on the drive back. It turns out oil was finding it's way out of the dip stick tube so it ran out on the A21 near the A25jct. No oil light, or very low oil pressure shown so it seized without any warning. I made it to the lay-by and got it recovered.
Next step is to strip it all out again and tear down the engine again so see what is left usable. Fingers crossed it'll just need a regrind on the crank and new bearings, but it my locost story continues, it's likely to be more than just that.
Jason

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun May 02, 2021 9:59 pm

I'm really sorry to hear that Jason!
I hope isn't too badly damaged!
Duncan

SJLB

Postby SJLB » Mon May 03, 2021 1:47 pm

Oh sh1t ! what a rough start to kit car ownership. Hope you get is sorted quickly.
Steve
Westfield Megabusa, Bromley, Kent.

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Mon May 03, 2021 3:11 pm

Well I started to strip it down this afternoon, and when the inlet manifold was removed quite a bit of metal fell out. :shock: So i felt around inside and found a valve stem with no head on it anymore :( The pics will explain, also, There was oil in the sump, so probably why i didn't get an oil light show or drop in oil pressure.
Attachments
IMG_7231.jpg
IMG_7229.jpg

Matth93

Postby Matth93 » Mon May 03, 2021 3:17 pm

Ouch! It looks like all the valves have been touching so has the head been skimmed too much or was the valve timing out is the next question

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Mon May 03, 2021 3:43 pm

Hi ya, no, the valves haven't made contact with the piston, they are machined cut outs that were put there just in case along with the pistons being skimmed themselves to guarantee that there wouldn't be an issue at the cost of some bhp. I wanted to be safe with no risks so gladly sacrificed some compression for peace of mind after I had taken the original engine apart.

Jason

Kegco

Postby Kegco » Mon May 03, 2021 7:02 pm

Sorry to hear that Jason
Hopefully it’s not to painful
ST170 Tiger cat E1
2.1 Tiger cat E1
Mini Rod73 (track toy)

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon May 03, 2021 7:50 pm

That doesn't look good :(

Return to “Members Run Outs”