Sunday 21st oct

Members are encouraged to post details of local runs, a way of meeting owners in your own area.

Moderator: Contaminated

Weathers

Re: Sunday 21st oct

Postby Weathers » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:37 am

1/ graham
2/ Tony Beeee
3/ Weathers OUT - not feeling well
4/ Tony H
5/ Neil H
6/ Russ

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:51 am

Bugger - anyone near Ditchling and has a spare throttle cable they can get to me in the next 90 minutes before the AA get here, that would be great :-(

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:12 am

nelmo wrote:Bugger - anyone near Ditchling and has a spare throttle cable they can get to me in the next 90 minutes before the AA get here, that would be great :-(

I hope you got home ok.

graham b

Postby graham b » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:20 am

Only got your message on arriving home...no spares anyway.

I had roof trouble after leaving nutley...stopped to fix.
Then drove on to heathfield but didnt know the cafe and couldnt locate the others...so went home the long way round :D
(Nutley cafe was closed )
graham b
Lotus elise
Supercharged.
BBR Mx5
caterham R300
Westfield seiw
Tiger e1

Tony B
Site Admin

Postby Tony B » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:33 am

Oh no, I did have a spare throttle cable too!!!! We waited for you in the ditch long car park but after you didn’t show we assumed you had bypassed the beacon, hope the AA sorted you out!

And G, I know I’m mutton but we said Isfield not Heathfield :lol: , we had a lovely breakfast at the steam railway, it’s now my top breaky venue....

Other than that, what a great morning to get out, thoughrally enjoyed that - till the next time.....

graham b

Postby graham b » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:51 am

i need new hearing aid batteries, :lol:
graham b
Lotus elise
Supercharged.
BBR Mx5
caterham R300
Westfield seiw
Tiger e1

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:01 pm

Just back - AA guy did a temporary repair (which I could have done myself had I thought of it :oops: ).

Beautiful day out, even after my slow return home (didn't want to stress the throttle cable as it was just held on with a couple of grub screws :o ) - that was a lovely route, must keep that for future use. Had breakfast in the Green Welly in Ditchling - very nice but expensive bacon and egg butty...

A couple of pics - at Pease Pottage:

There are worse places to breakdown ;)

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:49 pm

nelmo wrote:Bugger - anyone near Ditchling and has a spare throttle cable they can get to me in the next 90 minutes before the AA get here, that would be great :-(

Sorry, after this happened on the M27(?):-
Image1.jpg

We assumed you were lost. As was said, we waited for some time at Ditchling summit & after that we changed the route, turned round at a closed road & after the café was closed went somewhere else, so you never stood a chance of finding us. A breakdown never crossed our minds - & we had no signal at the breakfast stop ( I was trying to message Graham).

Sorry.

Don't wish to be smug, but I've always run a twin cable for that reason.

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:27 pm

About 10 minutes after that ;)

My satnav was unhappy that i hadn't gone to the exact last waypoint (we went about 20m past it) so it was trying to redirect me back to it, which is why I ignored its instruction to go off at that junction (i thought the route went to the next junction).

Also, I had put RainX on my windscreen yesterday (Crunchies suggestion) but for some reason, in certain bits of the run, it suddenly clouded up the whole screen and i couldn't see a damn thing! So that was fun...

While i was waiting for the AA guy, i was thinking of doing a double throttle cable but a better first mod is some sort of rounded cable guide at the pedal end (that's where it snapped). Up to now, it's just threaded through a hole and bent back over a straight edge - no wonder it wore through.

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:55 pm

nelmo wrote:Also, I had put RainX on my windscreen yesterday (Crunchies suggestion) but for some reason, in certain bits of the run, it suddenly clouded up the whole screen and i couldn't see a damn thing! So that was fun...

While i was waiting for the AA guy, i was thinking of doing a double throttle cable but a better first mod is some sort of rounded cable guide at the pedal end (that's where it snapped). Up to now, it's just threaded through a hole and bent back over a straight edge - no wonder it wore through.

I saw you wiping the screen - we seemed to be cruising around the dew point for most of the first hour, my heated screen was struggling to cope :D

This is an ancient picture of my twin cables. I drilled the pedal, force-fitted a thin-walled tube through it & put a vertical slot for the cable (on the far side in the pic below), the barrel nipple (they're bike gear cables) then sits in the tube & the cable nipple is free to rotate with pedal travel. It sounds counter-intuitive, but cables REALLY don't like being bent. Another important thing is the cable-outer support you can just see blurred in the background to stop the cable outers sagging & kinking the inner as it passes though the adjuster.

IMGP9682.JPG
IMGP9682.JPG (250.27 KiB) Viewed 2732 times

Return to “Members Run Outs”