Remembrance Run 12th Nov

Info on upcoming Runs will be posted here, members are also welcome to add details of any 'meets' within that sub-forum.

Moderator: Contaminated

Crunchie Gears

Re: Remembrance Run 12th Nov

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:18 pm

I go to this event not only to meet SKCC friends and the villagers who appreciate our attendance; it makes me remember Bobby Glasbrook who died on my watch at the age of 23. Always makes me sad. He was the only soldier I lost on two tour in the troubles. Meeting his family, and what we did has had an effect on me for the rest of my life. That said I am privileged to have served with th soldier I did and I think we made a difference.

My father told me of his war and the stories where something I remember although I lost him yearly in my life. He very defineately lived very fast during that time.

My step father was in the Army Air Corp in WW1. His stories where helerious but shadowed with grief. It made him cry and laugh. His WW2 experience was not good and he took some depression from them into his later life, if only sometimes.

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:26 pm

Not a day for hooning aroubnd today, both due to the topic and also the weather, but maybe a couple of tales however.
Looked like we might have got away with it first thing as it had obviously rained over night, but was cold and damp as i eased the car out onto the road, on the way out the local garage it started to rain so pulled back into my road under a tree to put my rain suit on.
Took my coat off and decided to lean on the tree trunk to steady myself to put it on, but a little too hard causing the over night rain settled on the leaves to dislodge and give me a good soaking, hopped around for a while putting my legs in and then realised i had it on back to front, dohh.
The motorway/A road drive to the start at the caravan place was freezing and mostly in the dark so was no surprise i mis-took small lake for a puddle and got what felt like a full bow wave over the car stopping me in my tracks, i hoped the crash dash cam on the back of the roll bar has caught it, but since i dropped the micto sd card in the long grass on the way to the house i wil lelt you know if i ever find it, Added to the fact that the car would not start due to a detached starter wire and a touch of burst blood vessels in me eye, maybe i should change my name to Mike with that sort of luck today.
Was good to catch up with a few today and swap a few stories, nice to be so welcome at the village, having missed this last year, very thought provoking.
Mark thanks for organinsing mate, get better soon, will sort out a Paypal transfer for the funds collected today, can you PM me your details.
Richard (MIKE).
Last edited by locost220 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

locost220

Postby locost220 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:30 pm

Some pics from today.
Attachments
WP_20171112_07_36_28_Pro.jpg
WP_20171112_09_54_28_Pro.jpg
WP_20171112_09_54_23_Pro.jpg
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Kegco

Postby Kegco » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:21 pm

Proud Dad (me) boy in air cadets parade otherwise would of joined your run this morning
Attachments
31F0C7EE-E355-4A3D-B355-6411C271A511.jpeg
ST170 Tiger cat E1
2.1 Tiger cat E1
Mini Rod73 (track toy)

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:36 pm

Great to catch up today. We got a warm reception at the memorial, which makes our attendance more poignant. As others have said the turn out from local families was greater than normal, I also couldn't help noticing a couple of the elderly former servicemen there today had significantly more than the standard campaign medals. Very humbling.
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

David T

Postby David T » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:18 pm

Sorry I didn't join you in the end. Was not feeling 100%. Still managed an hour outside in the cold in the afternoon to watch daughter's local parade. Brrrrrrr.

leegav

Postby leegav » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:10 pm

@ crunchie....
Its a tough weekend for me. Usually drowning my self in the black horse in taunton!

13 (its why i have a 13 sticker on my passenger side) losses before i left in 2009... Didnt know them all as well as each other but new a few very very well including the kids and wives. One still haunts me. Shaun ward (scouse) - asked me to stay on camp with him one weekend after C.Os rounds on a friday so we could blow off some steam together as he was feeling a bit uptight. I told him "sorry buddy im shagging a bird in falmouth this weekend". Had a phone call on the sunday morning to say hed taken his own life and left a note explaining he couldnd live with himself after iraq. His family were great but it desyroyed his brother who regularly drove from liverpool to plymouth blind drunk trying to get on camp and have it out with is who didnt give him the support he needed. That weekend is a time for reflection for me.

A funny side of that story is i got arrrested in liverpool before his funeral because somebody had seen me unloading blank ammo from an sa80 out of the boot of my civilian car before his funeral firing parade. Luckily the adjutant was local for the funeral and confirmed i was there with the other 4 marines. On "official business" :lol:
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:56 am

leegav wrote:@ crunchie....
Its a tough weekend for me. Usually drowning my self in the black horse in taunton!

13 (its why i have a 13 sticker on my passenger side) losses before i left in 2009... Didnt know them all as well as each other but new a few very very well including the kids and wives. One still haunts me. Shaun ward (scouse) - asked me to stay on camp with him one weekend after C.Os rounds on a friday so we could blow off some steam together as he was feeling a bit uptight. I told him "sorry buddy im shagging a bird in falmouth this weekend". Had a phone call on the sunday morning to say hed taken his own life and left a note explaining he couldnd live with himself after iraq. His family were great but it desyroyed his brother who regularly drove from liverpool to plymouth blind drunk trying to get on camp and have it out with is who didnt give him the support he needed. That weekend is a time for reflection for me.

A funny side of that story is i got arrrested in liverpool before his funeral because somebody had seen me unloading blank ammo from an sa80 out of the boot of my civilian car before his funeral firing parade. Luckily the adjutant was local for the funeral and confirmed i was there with the other 4 marines. On "official business" :lol:

Moving account Lee. I will give you a call Monday when I get back.

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:33 am

Sad story Lee, unfortunately acts of suicide are done in desperate times, without thought to others around them, as its difficult to see past their own pain and suffering. It always leaves a lot of unanswered questions “ what ifs... ? etc, usually fuelled by hindsight. Takes time like all things to accept and move on.

Continue to do what you do well Lee, that is to reflect, remember and respect.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

leegav

Postby leegav » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:30 am

8-)
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-11-19-08-28-14.png
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

Return to “Group Events, Run Outs and Local Meets”