Captain ‘’Not So Slow’’ Euro report 2017

Info on upcoming Runs will be posted here, members are also welcome to add details of any 'meets' within that sub-forum.

Moderator: Contaminated

locost220

Captain ‘’Not So Slow’’ Euro report 2017

Postby locost220 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:54 pm

Well apparently, we are a bit slack on the reports front for this years Euro tour so guess I should get my finger out.
Car was prepped well ahead of the off, with me resisting the urge to go out on runs the weeks before hand dreading an off and last minute panics, as it was the closure of the anti fly tipping gate on the entrance to my garage area was enough of a concern to keep me on my toes, not getting the special key till Monday afternoon, to stop the other half moaning about my threatening to grind the lock off and telling me to take the tin top instead.
The key allowing me to get the car out for a full fuel up, 45 litres split between the usual tank and the touring holding tank, coffin storage box stuffed to the gunells with all sorts of what nots and widgets, some would see the light of day, many would not, car scraping over the speed humps, opps maybe I have over done it some.
After an evening meal out with family as a penance I as expected had little sleep like a kid on xmas eve, up slightly later than previous years I still managed to be the first to arrive at the eurotunnerl car park and managed to down the first of a few teas whilst getting some Euros out the cash point having not got round to getting any exchanged.
Was not long before I was joined by Neil and then a steady stream of expectant travellers arrived and a few cracks started the style of the week.
Pleasantries were exchanged with all, including those MIA since last tour, great to see Rob make it to the start, got to say I did admire him for even turning up having had virtually no running in time since his power upgrade, would he even make it to the end of day one ?
After loading on the tube, the fixes started in earnest with Jay changing head set, giving me a chance to try out my radio, all sorted and a few chats with fellow travellers we set off after the usual fun and games via the petrol station.
The Sat Nav fun started straight away with chirps of ‘’well mine say turn around when possible’’, or ''come off the motorway as soon as we got on'', Mine threw in the towel quicker that an Italian and I just focused on keeping others in sight, winding the old girl up to the dizzy speeds or guessing most of the time as speedo did not work as usual.
We pulled over after a while for a quick check of Robs car temp and concluded it was probably still getting air out or a dicky gauge, we later hit traffic and before long Rob was seen pushing the car over to the hard shoulder with Paul and Neil pulling off to help, once traffic cleared we made good speed and pulled in for a top up when I first noticed my exhaust rattling having broken a support bracket and bring out the first of many attempted fixing straps.
With no sign of them after a whilst we adopted the top gear stance and left them to it and cracked on till lunch, last to arrive as usual I was pleased to gather the others had not been there long and joined the Q at the table awaiting lunch, some were disappointed. Not going to try to recount the route each day, save to say they were mostly fantastic with marky deserving a medal for them.

Once the first day was done and made it to the first night stop over, was good to see Paul had made it there having got separated from Rob and Neil.
The not too secret monorail was reportedly not in use, but then all of a sudden was open so jumped on that before even seeing my room, feet up holding the brakes off and trying to film it on my phone was a nice speed event to end the day.

Once planted in chalet style accommodation for the evening I had to ponce shower jel off Phil, thanks mate but still cannot figure out why you had shampoo ?
A few beers later and a chance to take a few pics, it was a tour to the local eatery ably aided by Rob who for some reason had been sent on a wild goose chase to the wrong area thinking the hotel bar was shut.
A stager home and a nites kip was followed by a welcomed breakfast open early thanks to mark again, there was Kelton taking his favourite lass for a walk and a fix of Phil Knob and off we popped.

Day 2 is best mostly forgotten, seems that every one who had a car wanted to come out and join us, except that I cant forget as recall some fantastic roads thrown in as well.
Lunch was on the side of the River and we eventually made it there after some more Sat nav fun.
Determined to drive every road el captain put in front of me I managed it on this day, fuel top up come and went as did the 200 Tic Tacs I had stowed away in a nooke in the cabin.
I did see the porker museum, but having circled the round-about and getting moved on a few times whist trying to determine where the car park was I gave up and headed for the hotel.
Last to arrive as usual it was good to see a petrol station right on the doorstep, park up and car all wrapped up,
now where to start with this one !
I meet Rob at the reception and got the jist where the rest were ( outside having a beer ) I found my assigned door unlocked and went in, umm nice and big clean room, quickly un packed a few essentials in the bathroom and decide I need to err ‘’Go’’, having not been for a few days.
So after doing my business I sorted out what I needed for the evening and left the room with old fashioned key in hand, found I could not lock the door and quick double take of the key number, 25, check the door 28 , poop literally, never seen me move as quickly to grab my stuff and get out of dodge into the correct room.
I picked my moment well telling the rest I think, as the table will testify, too pooped to go exploring most of us I believe eat in and had a few drinks and passed the time putting the world to rights.

Nice brickie and all cars sorted, group one set off followed a while later by me and a few others, once again fantastic days worth of roads
( how does he do it ), during the day we rocked up at the river side Café first (hare and tortoise) and afterwards a trip to old haunt for the trikes, shame it was so bumpy otherwise could get some serious speed, but missed out on the monorail.
Drone was flying high so look forward to some more footage,
Back to the same hotel and a venture out to the local pizza, kebab and a puff or two afterwards for a few adventurous, think this was the night I also had a go at welding Robs Cycle wing support, did a horrible job, a bad work man always blames his tools, but sorted it at home now so will make a better job of the other side next year Rob.
Next day and more of the same, trying to throw my 1 Ton worth of car round some of bends on this trip was a challenge but got to be done, got to the mountain top lunch stop with Neil and Gary late ( as ever it seems ) to find staggering views, was joined by peskie flies so took shelter inside and then blatted on as hordes of people descended.
Then onto the lake Titisee after a quick fan belt change for your turelly, a chance to revisit this place from a couple of years ago, a bit more Sat Nav fun saw us arrive the same time as the rest with some parking fun, after a walk and a ice cream the rest of the route just had to be done, it would be rude not to.
Think this was the last night at this hotel with the evening dentist game and all, Jay and Rob fixings his car and a temp repair on marks car that lasted the duration of the trip, he had obviously heard of my welding job on Rob arch and declined my offer to have a go with the brasing kit that stayed hidden.
On to the next day and the roads just keep on giving as did I a face full of stones to Neil sorry mate, arriving late to lunch again, its busy and just PACKED OUT and we did the crawl round it and out again. We found very posh hotel for some drinks and got some looks from the locals, later we stopped for a little traditional lunch at a village to say the least, blink and you miss it.
As time was getting long we decide to delete a load of wey points to get to the hotel before dark and in doing do encountered and became part of a VW tour to a show ground that slowed us up some.
Eventually finding the right parking area in Premier Class hotel we eventually caught up with the others in the midst of where my Room bitch for me, thanks to felicity for sorting it out after I ended up in another wrong room.

Next morning saw us bid farewell to a few of the others who remembered that me Neil and Paul we going off piste to the track day, loads of motorway miles and a few of non ones saw us eventually rock up at the dam buster location for a drink and a meander through a few more quiet roads before heading direct to the night stop, after a non excitant bite to eat and a few beers and the cars all parked up me and Paul tried to right a few wrongs and got a few hrs sleep.
Up with the lark and an early breakfast with the joy of trying to bridge the language barrier with the chef and ending up with a triple strong coffee, yuk.
Enroute to the track picking up a couple of groupies, and enjoyed the event, ( Neil will be posting a video so sure he will surpass what ever I can say here ) the trip to the overnight top was err eventful,, sorry once again guys self preservation and top gear kicked in once again leaving Paul in no mans land.
Once we finally regrouped a few hrs later than planned Neil had found us the poshes hotel I have ever paid for, what a treat.
The long run to the tunnel was mainly un-eventfull, getting there hrs early and getting very early train and wondering how cruchie was getting on.
Back in doors early I was knackered the next week or so, would I do it again, in the drop of a hat.

other things of mention, the roads, the weather,Robs loose nuts, the roads, the crack, the Gary exclusion zone round marks engine, the roads, the roads, did i mention the roads
Not started on a video yet but will do soon.
pics in no order.
Richard.
Attachments
WP_20170524_07_48_19_Pro.jpg
WP_20170523_18_24_48_Pro.jpg
WP_20170523_18_24_45_Pro.jpg
GOPR1898.JPG
GOPR1896.JPG
GOPR1895.JPG
GOPR1887.JPG
G0011875.JPG
CIMG3720.JPG
CIMG3729.JPG
CIMG3730.JPG
CIMG3731.JPG
CIMG3739.JPG
CIMG3756.JPG
CIMG3769.JPG
CIMG3780.JPG
CIMG3765.JPG
CIMG3766.JPG
CIMG3767.JPG
CIMG3720.JPG
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Tony C

Re: Captain ‘’Not So Slow’’ Euro report 2017

Postby Tony C » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:24 pm

Great write up Rich, a good read
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:57 pm

nice one Rich, glad that you had a good time mate...the roads were stunning as ever and its amazing that we seem to find new ground in a relatively small area.
I do have a cunning plan for 2018 - if there's a call for another trip, which would mean using the same Hotel for 4 nights - having a base makes life sooo much easier.

Nash

Postby Nash » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:28 pm

Well played Rich. Having spent most of the week as your wingman was a pleasure.
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Phil N

Postby Phil N » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:28 pm

Great memories made Rich and the company was awesome! Looking forward to next years one. Hurry up Captain. ;) ;)
9 is more than a number

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:05 pm

Great write up Richard. :D :D

Thanks for your company and your bravery to go in the passenger seat. :shock: :o :P

Red27

Postby Red27 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:00 pm

Looking forward to some video, excellent write up Rich. Where the roads good by any chance? :D Glad to hear you actually made it, I was hearing reports that you had been locked in by the council :o
Linda

"Gilles was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing" - Jody Scheckter

locost220

Postby locost220 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:37 pm

Well have started on the video, by skimming out the decent pics and videos, no idea what to do with them yet, want to try some thing different and interesting to compete with the others.
Rich.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:12 pm

Great write up and photos :)

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:25 pm

Where's Gary??? need his report and need the photo of his own special sticker :D

Return to “Group Events, Run Outs and Local Meets”