Saturday 20th - CKC Trackday Llandow

Info on upcoming Runs will be posted here, members are also welcome to add details of any 'meets' within that sub-forum.

Moderator: Contaminated

Weathers

Saturday 20th - CKC Trackday Llandow

Postby Weathers » Tue May 16, 2017 8:00 am

Is anyone else going to Wales at the weekend? And if so what are your plans?

Weather doesn't look too great at the minute. That will teach me to "Go West" :lol: :lol:

David T

Re: Saturday 20th - CKC Trackday Llandow

Postby David T » Wed May 17, 2017 4:02 pm

I'm going.

Heading out first thing Friday to Track Developments at Castle Combe for geometry session. Then on to campsite next to circuit. Hopefully there's a few other kits staying over again. Then obviously heading next door to the track first thing Saturday. Might have time late Friday afternoon to wander north to the hills before camp site.

What's your plan?

Weather, now more a short range forecast, much improved with sun.

Looking forward to my trip.

Weathers

Postby Weathers » Fri May 19, 2017 6:59 pm

Have a great weekend. Sadly a £1k bill on the tow vehicle has put pay to this! :cry: :cry:

Kitnet

Postby Kitnet » Sun May 21, 2017 6:34 pm

Yes a few of us went. It was a good day with a good mix of cars & abilities. It started of damp but dried out in the afternoon. Everyone there was really friendly & track etiquette was at a high standard. My car went well I was flying all day. :)
Attachments
l2.jpg
l1.jpg

Kitnet

Postby Kitnet » Sun May 21, 2017 6:43 pm

David T wrote:I'm going.

Heading out first thing Friday to Track Developments at Castle Combe for geometry session. Then on to campsite next to circuit. Hopefully there's a few other kits staying over again. Then obviously heading next door to the track first thing Saturday. Might have time late Friday afternoon to wander north to the hills before camp site.

What's your plan?

Weather, now more a short range forecast, much improved with sun.

Looking forward to my trip.

Dave does my car every year. How did you get on at Llandow. I wish I saw this post before going I would have said hi when I was there. I spoke to a lot of people that day in between track time.

Did any one else go?

David T

Postby David T » Tue May 23, 2017 9:08 pm

Ha, ha. Now I can put the user name to the car.

Spent 8 hours with Dave on the Friday setting up the geometry. Without me in and full fluids, when corner weighted, the car was within 1%. Without fuel, including 35kg cage, the car weighs about 610Kg. Not a bad starting point.

We worked through each setting in turn, revisiting those which are upset by adjusting others. The existing set up was done by me - toe via fishing line and 15mm copper pipes, camber via a home made plumb bob gauge. On the plus side, the settings I had aimed for were pretty much spot on and consistent side to side. On the negative side, they were not very optimum. :lol: For example, I had 500% front toe in! :shock:

Rear damper had to be removed to adjust as not possible to get c-spanners in due to clashing with wishbones. This always takes some time. Much more time was consumed removing the lower rear wishbones to set the rear camber/toe. If outboard rose joints, it is much more straight forward, but the Avon has inboard. Anyway, got there in the end, just took quite a bit of time.

So, after arriving at 09:15, I was away by 17:30 and on my way to Llandow camp site. Straight away the car felt lighter and more responsive. The feeling of understeer on higher speed sweeping bends now gone. First results looks promising. :D

As last time, found a friendly bunch of other kits already on the camp site and passed a few pleasant hours with some beers and banter. To be honest, I didn't get great sleep in my little pop tent, but I certanily felt better than last time when Mr James Beam joined us in the awning. :? :shock:

Next morning 1/4 mile convoy for us to the track cafe for a full English and a strong coffee. After that signing on and briefing. The morning was generally 15min slots based on ability. Then open pit lane for the afternoon.

As soon as I got to push the car harder round some bends on track I realised how much of a difference the chassis set up had made. It sounds cliche I know. On the non-straight bits previously I would steer the car around, with a speed up to the point it felt uneasy. Now it is possible to instinctively drive the car around balancing steering and throttle as I always expected to think it should be. Like piloting a go kart and inspiring confidence. Straight line performance is unchanged as you'd expect, but during the day my ability through the bus stop, chicane and bends just got better. Thanks to the car I was able to significnatly improve my technique and with it my overall speed. Need another session on track ASAP.

During the say I did manage a few firsts too :oops:
1. Two black flags (dipstick popped out and provide red arrows smoke trail down hangar straight, snood escaped from passenger footwell on other straight)
2. Tow truck of shame (had to shut down on track due to risk of oil spillage)

Finally left Llandow at about 16:30 (finish is 17:00) for the 2.5 hour trip home. All was good until I got caught in the mother of all rain storms - must have been at least an hour from the Severn bridge to about Newbury. Not fun. Was quite scary trying to keep the car safe from aquaplaning. Too much standing water in the lorry lane and not possibe to keep high enough speed for middle lane. Thankfully motorway was very quiet.

So, in summary, a very productive and enjoyable, if tiring couple of days. Assuming no calendar clashes looking forward to next year. I recommend it to anyone who wants to spend some time on track in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere, with only like minded kit owners for company. Oh, and if you drive you car even remotely hard, go get the geometry set up properly. ;)

Kitnet

Postby Kitnet » Tue May 23, 2017 10:09 pm

Good to hear you had a good a day as me Dave. :)

A quick video of my day. Started of damp & slippery but cleared up as the day went along.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc5XwoKpW3U

Return to “Group Events, Run Outs and Local Meets”