Euroblat report - Captains

Info on upcoming Runs will be posted here, members are also welcome to add details of any 'meets' within that sub-forum.

Moderator: Contaminated

Red27

Re: Euroblat report - Captains

Postby Red27 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:35 am

So sorry to hear that David. My guess was passport(s) from Mark's comment. I'm paranoid about leaving anything behind when we go anywhere, to the extent that I've got several bits of software on various devices for making checklists for every widget that I think I'm going to want, and nothing gets ticked off until I've put it in the bag. Or I pile things up in a place where I have to go through them to get out, i.e. the front door, and so can't fail to see them. I feel the need now to go and find another app, as a backup. Must put that on my checklist for pre-packing preparation for our Cholmondley trip... :oops: :oops:

As for roofs, they seem to be a black art. Graham suffered a bit of ballooning with his on the UK trip :? . Originally, my half hood kept trying to knock me out at speeds over 55-60mph. Not sure what your roof is doing, but if you're suffering from a lot of "flappage", particularly inwards, then a couple of bars made from ally tubing which can be sat between your roll bar and screen might help? This was the solution for our hoods. Velcro cup attaches to the roll bar, and there's a bit of 90 degree plastic section at the other end which braces against the screen, if that makes sense.
Linda

"Gilles was the fastest driver in the history of motor racing" - Jody Scheckter

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:15 pm

Really sorry to hear that :(

A short story that might cheer you up.........

In the seventies I was with parents about to reverse out of the drive. We were going to my aunt for Xmas dinner. Suddenly there was a loud bang and we looked back to see the underneath of a Volvo sliding past! The car hit the curb and flipped onto its wheels in a neighbours garden.

It turned out that the driver had left his family at the airport while he drove home for the passports. As we said to him it could still have been worse, at least he was alive.

Nash

Postby Nash » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:38 pm

David as said previously we missed you both on the trip. Gutted for you. Time will move this into folklore and at some point, you may not laugh but it will become a shrug of the shoulders and a purse of the lips.

In the mean time rejoice in the fact mango didn't miss a beat.
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:00 pm

As Neil,.. David, feel your pain and annoyance, wasn't mean't be be, given time it'll be put down to one of life's great experiences.

Had a passport problem coming back into the country not that long ago, decided to do the night time jaunt back to Calais from Nice in one hit, wired up with Redbull and 10 hours later, just literally pulling up to calais passport control, James turns and says to me "my passports out of date", ..it was by 18 months. Composure totally lost... "stupid anglais" or words to that effect were muttered by the gendarme..

Hey ho..
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:19 pm

David,

I heard of your troubles during the road trip and was sorry to hear that despite your heroic efforts to remedy the situation you wouldn't be joining us.

I can't offer much in the way of consolation, but before any business trip or family holiday my mantra is 'tickets, money, passport'............anything else is superfluous, the kids, clothes, sunglasses, etc........... :lol: :lol:

Looking forward to seeing you on a run soon

Cheers

Tony
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:35 pm

yeah i'm sure David wants to hear that we have various fail safes to make sure we have tickets and passports......

to help a little........i rocked up at Gatwick years back on a business trip, i was meeting another work colleague who was originally from south africa, not the sharpest tool, we got within about 100 feet of passport control on the way out when he asked, what are they checking? what passports? But englands is in Europe isn't it, surely i don't need a...no, oh, oh poop......shame i was looking forward to spending an hour sitting right next to him listening to his thoughtful insights ......

MangoFury
Site Admin

Postby MangoFury » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:47 am

Thank you all for you kind words. Linda - thanks for the thoughts on roofing. The roof was a minor issue but the main problem was being thoroughly distracted leading up to the event and being knackered before we'd even started.
I had copied the Eurotunnel check in number into a Word document, in big font, but even that didn't get printed off. The brain hadn't equated SKCC road trip with Europe I guess.
Anyway, after a week of self loathing and questioning why it happened (generally concluding with "David, you are a tw@t"), it's history now. A failure that is painful enough not to be repeated.

This week hasn't been much better though. At the dentist yesterday for root canal work leading to a crown. That got canned in favour of an extraction as there was a significant crack down the inside of the tooth as was exposed by the removal of the old filling which would leave it liable to bacterial entry and infection (which I had previously).
So, this morning, rinsing with salt water, turns out the deep root of the extracted tooth has left a path from mouth to sinus canal to nose. Salt water into mouth, comes out of nose. Cool party trick.
As Tom Jones sang, It's Not Unusual. Should heal up in time. Back to being a baby, eating mushed up food for now.

Born under a bad sign?
"If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all" :lol:

Needed to do something with the car so signed up for a trackday at Snetterton next week with Paul (Crunchie). I'm thinking track day insurance is a must... :roll:
2009 Fisher Fury, 2 litre standard Zetec, Honda TBs, Megasquirt ECU

Red27

Postby Red27 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:31 am

Not all bad David, you've inadvertently quoted a bit of the illustrious Whitesnake! Happy days! Although I expect that wasn't your intent.

Good luck with the track day, and if you're into mushy foodstuffs at the moment I highly recommend Farleys Rusks, yum yum.
Linda

Red27

Postby Red27 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:26 pm

So, you all went to Schlumpf and got me some nice piccies of the Royales, right? (Can you tell I work with Americans....) Except no-one's put any up yet :( (Piccies, not Americans). Don't tell me none of you got any photos from inside the museum?
Linda

locost220

Postby locost220 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:27 pm

What museum?
:D rich
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Return to “Group Events, Run Outs and Local Meets”