Track Day or Auto Test Brands Hatch

Info on upcoming Runs will be posted here, members are also welcome to add details of any 'meets' within that sub-forum.

Moderator: Contaminated

Would Members Prefer a Track Day, An Auto Test or Neither!

Prefer Track Day / Afternoon
91%
Prefer an Auto test
9%
Neither Interest Me
No votes

Total votes: 11

greenwoo
Site Admin

Track Day or Auto Test Brands Hatch

Postby greenwoo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:48 pm

I wonder whether there's enough interest in the K/Car Community in this part of the world to run either a dedicated kit car track day or an auto test? In talking with a number of owners a track day does seem to feature high on the list of 'to do's ', with the main reservation being 'what else will be on track at the same time, will my pride and joy get trashed ? '.
Talking with Brands it would be possible to work out a few differents routes to achieving a situation where there were only 'kits' on track at any one time:
1/ Agree to host a K/C evening/afternoon event. Which would mean 60 cars needed, exclusive as long as all places filled. If not opened up to the public, and the final spaces sold to anyone. Same cost as any other Brands hosted session - with a discount for a large group.
2/ Possible to take an entire session within a sessioned evening/afternoon/day - meaning approx 22 cars. Same cost as any other Brands hosted session - with a discount for a large group.

Other possible option. Hire the Paddock Area and run an autotest. Brands putting out the cones etc and owners using their own cars ( bit like the Caterham experience days if you know of those, but with your own car ). This could be split into am/pm to cut costs.

Was wondering whether there'd be enough interest to make any of the above work - combined with a a bit of a K/C 'fest'. Could be great fun.

Interested to hear any thoughts /opinions.....

Ross

Re: Track Day or Auto Test Brands Hatch

Postby Ross » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:22 pm

I'd be interested in the track days, but probably not the autotest, simply because I've done them before and the car takes a real thrashing. On the last one I did (VXR day) one of the Astras left its gear box in the paddock when someone's J-turn didn't go quite according to plan :-) Unless you had something a little more sedate in mind?
Ross

goaty

Postby goaty » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:58 am

i would definetly be up for the track days, only got to do 2 last year but they were soo much fun.
Only issue i have is my engine wont be run in and ready for this season so tin top this year for me, apart from running in miles.... :D
even if i cant drive them this year i will def atted as watching them is almost as much fun too.
thanks

Nash

Postby Nash » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:51 pm

Trackdays for me. Lydden Hill is local and they run them most months.

Not into Autotests though

....Neil
Buckle Up - Adventure Calls

Ben_Copeland

Postby Ben_Copeland » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:13 am

Interested in Track Days, but with car in the state it is atm, its unlikely this year lol
Ben

On the road, but never finished....

Toltec

Postby Toltec » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:46 pm

Would be up for a track afternoon/evening, prefer open pit though not sessions.

Chris71

Postby Chris71 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:54 pm

Would the auto test be a full National-B type affair with battery cut offs and all the rest or could it be a non-competitive 'car control day' type thing?

I'd be quite up for either that or a track day, but a car control day with plenty of 'oppo' around a few cones (and more importantly nothing and no one to hit) would be good.

greenwood03

Postby greenwood03 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:24 pm

Chris, the answer is within reason it would be what we make it! I had a long chat with Brands about the various options for the track itself. I thought it would be fantastic to get it completely booked for 'kits'. In reality that means 60/70 cars to fill open session. Prob not feasible, and the only way of doing that and controlling cost is to take a contract - irrespective of how many places are sold!
Thats why i thought either - taking a session - 20-22 cars within one of their sessioned events could work ( although many T/D drivers prefer OPitlane. Or hiring the paddock and replicating the Caterham experience type days.
That would be cones to allow a bit of drifting, donuts etc etc.

The latest thought i had last night was whether it would be attractive to just get a large group to the Car Limits Events up at North Weald? I need to speak to someone that has done one of those and see whats what...

jeffw

Postby jeffw » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:43 pm

I did a sprint at North Weald on Sunday and it is very bumpy...

locost220

Postby locost220 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:09 pm

Would prefer a trackday, just done second one at Brands today, but like the first it ended on a bad note with the engine playing up so not sure when it will be sorted for me to be able to do either events.
Rich
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

Return to “Group Events, Run Outs and Local Meets”