Wales 2020 report :)

Info on upcoming Runs will be posted here, members are also welcome to add details of any 'meets' within that sub-forum.

Moderator: Contaminated

Fury1630

Re: Wales 2020

Postby Fury1630 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:02 pm

Late now, some words for days 4 & 5 as well as more pics when I get home tomorrow.

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:27 pm

An eventful trip for me - details here (be warned, it's a bit long - sorry):

https://zerolifebuild.blogspot.com/2020 ... agons.html

locost220

Postby locost220 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:14 am

Great write up, not sure if the sheep looks more worried after you 2 arrived.
Locost book chassis, Undergoing testing post rebuild :D :?
Robin Hood 2B, keeping me sane
Sylva Leader, stuck to the trailer

DJ.

Re: Wales 2020 report :)

Postby DJ. » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:23 am

Good write up on your blog Neil, I always knew insurance style companies are b*******s but talk about being punished for a minor oversight!

That Richard sounds a great bloke.

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:47 pm

DJ. wrote:Good write up on your blog Neil, I always knew insurance style companies are b*******s but talk about being punished for a minor oversight!

That Richard sounds a great bloke.

Well, it actually wouldn't have helped anyway - they still wouldn't have recovered me home and I didn't want to sit around in Wales waiting for a garage to stare uncomprehendingly at my car :-)

Yeah, Richard is amazing - he also fixed my handbrake sensor (because, obviously, he had a spare) and he added some trim onto a panel because he didn't like the fact the bare ally was pressed up against my loom - he said it would eventually wear through and cause all sorts of problems. Basically, I was embarrassed for him to look at my car - from his perspective, it's a real pile of crap (although he'd never say that) :-)

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:51 pm

I think you're being harsh on your car, it is work in progress on some issues, but it took you to the Alps earlier this year 8-)

With so many kits doing very low mileages, most manufacturers have issues that only show up after serious use. Ask Tiger owners about engine mounts, and early Caterham DeDion tubes cracked.

Jasonmpk

Postby Jasonmpk » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:22 pm

Well done guys, great write ups fantastic inspirations.

Jason

kirmodawn1

Postby kirmodawn1 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:55 pm

Great write up Duncan. So glad you all managed to go at all and the weather was a huge bonus.

Bob
Quantum 2+2 Zetec Turbo

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:58 pm

kirmodawn1 wrote:Great write up Duncan. So glad you all managed to go at all and the weather was a huge bonus.

Bob

Thanks, we were very lucky with the weather and with the regulations not changing before the trip!

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:57 pm

Day 4 - to be honest I can remember very little of it because - every day was EPIC & a fair bit of it I'd done on my own on day 3. So it's a case of calling up a memory & counting how many cars are in it.

So, there was some fog in the valeees when we set off, but it was sunny on the peaks, so it soon burnt off.
IMG_2315.JPG

The lady from the hotel came out to take photos as we left & we were soon in the Elan Valley one of my favourites & this time we came at it from a different angle, past reservoirs & joined the valley road 1/2 way along. It was every bit as good as the "usual" route, but with better scenery.
IMG_2317.JPG

IMG_2352.JPG

Down off the moors & back to the the cafe at a carvan site near the Devil's Bridge cafe we normally use - which was closed due to Covid, we'd stopped there the day before & the victoria sponge was sublime! I got a bit arty
IMG_2365.JPG

There was a fuel stop planned - the Elises didn't need fuel, the Quantum didn't either, but we pulled into the station & round assuming the sevens would stop at the pumps - they saw us pull back out of the crowded forecort & followed. On the up-side the forecourt had some pretty scenery.
IMG_2366.JPG

Then there were some more EPIC roads bathed in sunshine, a couple of rests & then a whole herd of cows in the road.
IMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2375.JPG

Shortly after that we went up the Black Mountain - the day before I had got a clear run which was just glorious, today - not so good. Just the one car & it was doing it's best but dropping back & stringing a few bends together made it enjoyable - as was the ice cream at the top, thanks GB.
IMG_2384.JPG
IMG_2386.JPG

After that Roger departed for home & we decided a proper lunch would be a good idea as there was no evening meal in the guest house & Myrthir was in lockdown.

The leading cars saw a cafe sign, turned around & dived into a car park before the trailing cars arrived, there was then the usual comedy of tuning round - just missing each other - radio messages, texts, whats-app photos & more turning round, but we all ended up in what tuned out to be a community centre games hall for a lunch that was notable more for it's cheapness than it's quality, but it would be churlish to complain & we were putting money directly into the comunity. Then we took the back-roads to the guest house, this was good as it avoided the speed cameras around Myrthir, but bad as there were quite a lot of folk doing the same thing.

All in all another excellent day.
IMG_2394.JPG
Last edited by Fury1630 on Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Group Events, Run Outs and Local Meets”