Rogue Runners 2019 - Story Thread

Info on upcoming Runs will be posted here, members are also welcome to add details of any 'meets' within that sub-forum.

Moderator: Contaminated

Fury1630

Re: Rogue Runners 2019 - Story Thread

Postby Fury1630 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:46 am

Day 5 Whitby Loop Story

Over breakfast we decided the route was too long, so decided to prune the first easterly section.

We headed north, then turned east at Thwait, making for the coast, passed along some byways, through the village of Gayles which has three streets, West Street, East Street & Middle Street. No points for originality then.

At Scotch Corner we headed out to the moors. The roads are fantastic, sweeping & traffic free - apart from the sheep.

We stopped for coffee at the moors visitor centre based in what appeared to be an old manor house.
IMG_1271.JPG
IMG_1271.JPG (129.89 KiB) Viewed 2815 times

At Stokesley we stopped for fuel & immediately afterwards crossed a water way with the romantic name “Flood Diversion Channel”. Then through Glaisdale & past the Arncliffe Arms – our first stop on last year’s tour.

We were going to refuel in Whitby, but with the shortened route, there was no need, we went round the harbour then headed to the Khyber Pass – it’s a road in Whitby. After going round the town a second time& ending up in some unfeasibly narrow roads - we crossed the town bridge & headed up to the ruined abbey.
Image1.jpg

IMG_1276.JPG
IMG_1276.JPG (54.72 KiB) Viewed 2815 times

After that we tackled another of Britain’s steepest roads – Rosedale Chimney Bank, we were going down, so my thoughts tuned to my brake failure earlier in the week. We had a coffee stop marked at “The Daffy Caffy” but there was nowhere to park so we moved on.

Then there was a road called Bell End Green, which passes Low Bell End & Bell End Farm.

IMG_1279.JPG
IMG_1279.JPG (115.07 KiB) Viewed 2815 times

Then back along the wiggliest roads I could find, to refuel in Northallerton & the hotel.
IMG_1284.JPG
IMG_1284.JPG (122.55 KiB) Viewed 2815 times

As I was driving I had received a text & Robert was missing. I checked the text on arrival & it suggested he had car problems & arrived maybe ½ hour after us complaining of a funny noise from his back end – we all suffer from that from time to time, but he was convinced his was mechanical.

We managed to reproduce the graunch / squeak by rocking the car & isolated it to the off side suspension. Richard had had the rear bushed replaced & it looked as if the bolt at the bottom of the shock absorber had not been tightened after the weight was put back on the suspension. Both the bolt & the hole were worn. All that could be done was to put the weight on the suspension & tighten the bolts as much as we could with the tools to hand. We hoped it would be OK for the rest of the trip, but would need mending properly.

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Sun May 26, 2019 8:57 am

Day Six - Scotland Loop Story

We were a long way from Scotland, so it was only going to be a wee visit.
I’d planed the route carefully to be under 300 miles & TYRE said 6 ½ hours, which was fine, but those of us more awake than I was pointed out that the SatNavs were saying almost ten hours – which wasn’t fine.

So before breakfast I started amending the route. Linda wanted to keep Buttertubs pass in & Duncan wanted to do the roads in Scotland, so that sort of restrained the edges. First off I reversed the route so Buttertubs was at the beginning, but by the time I’d finished the adjustments the SatNav was still showing over 9 hours. In the end I moved all the return leg onto A roads & finished the route at a café almost 100 miles from the hotel, so we would do the route, meet up at the café, then just ask the SatNavs to take us home. That met with everyone’s agreement, so I loaded the route onto the SatNavs & off we went.

We did Buttertubs in a heavy overcast, but shortly afterwards the sun showed signs of coming out, but the route wasn’t working, the SatNavs all wanted to take us across a field with a locked gate. Fortunately we were close to Brough Castle ice cream parlour (again) so adjourned there to decide what to do. It was here that Robert decided to take his poorly car back to the hotel & try to get it mended, so with what seemed like 20 three year olds (but was probably only four) watching enthusiastically as if these strange cars would suddenly sprout wings & soar away, we set off for Middleton-In-Teesdale & from there, northwards.
IMG_1288.JPG
IMG_1288.JPG (81.78 KiB) Viewed 2814 times

We inevitably got separated & three of us stopped for coffee & cake by the lake in Kielder, but the roads were EPIC & empty.

IMG_1290.JPG
IMG_1290.JPG (122.89 KiB) Viewed 2814 times

IMG_1293.JPG
IMG_1293.JPG (106.79 KiB) Viewed 2814 times

IMG_1295.JPG
IMG_1295.JPG (108.28 KiB) Viewed 2814 times

Having reached Hawick (pronounced “Hoik” apparently) where the apparently simple task of refuelling in the same petrol station as everyone else proved too difficult for me even with a SatNav, so having toured the town for a while, I was playing catch-up, which I did at the café. Then it was just a run south on a main A road, which was busy, but wide enough for overtaking to break up the journey.

Robert’s car was mended by a local garage, so when we arrived back at the hotel, it was straight into the bar for refreshment.

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:08 am

Day 7 Northallerton to Holt.
IMG_1302.JPG
IMG_1302.JPG (134.15 KiB) Viewed 2814 times

Today we left the superb "Village Inn" for the final time & headed east, just after we leave the national park we passed through “Little Leake”, then “Cum Hag Wood”, make of that what you will, before passing over the Derwent at Malton.

By the time we got to Driffield, we were heading proper south, but there was a problem. The rubber seal on the radiator cap on my car was breaking up & although the temperature gauge was staying down, I was losing water at an alarming rate. But we carried on.
Over the Humber Bridge & into flat Lincolnshire, all the way to Mumbai – no, sorry Mumby.

Round here contour lines & cafés were hard to find, I’d marked a stop in Mablethorpe at “Linda’s Pavilion Café” (Hoping we’d get a discount if we presented a Linda) & this is where we all met back up. The cars caused quite a stir with the locals, but from the number of mobility scooters, I guess they just weren’t used to seeing anything that big.
IMG_1303.JPG
IMG_1303.JPG (105.87 KiB) Viewed 2814 times

IMG_1305.JPG
IMG_1305.JPG (56.15 KiB) Viewed 2814 times

IMG_1306.JPG
IMG_1306.JPG (60.05 KiB) Viewed 2814 times

Up to this point the roads had been good sometimes, after Mablethorpe they were twisty, but bumpy in an undulating way, then we just had to sit on the A roads for a while to get us where we needed to be.

Over the Nene at Sutton Bridge & over the Great Ouse at Kings Lynn – strangely the only one of the three rivers we’ve crossed not used by Rolls Royce as the name for a jet engine.
I had added another two litres of water to the car by now & at the last fuel stop I added another three with much gurgling & hissing from the engine. Here's what the rad cap looked like at this stage
IMG_1296.JPG

After that we re-fuelled & I re-watered before heading for the last hotel – it was booked, but I could find no trace of it on StreetView – It turned out to be 100 yards up the road from the pub in the grounds of a Stately Home & was very nice indeed. There were a variety of rooms from single to family, so I asked the other runners to pick keys from the handful & I had the last one –which turned out to be the largest :D .
IMG_1310.JPG
IMG_1310.JPG (139.19 KiB) Viewed 2814 times

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Sun May 26, 2019 9:37 am

Day 8 Story
IMG_1312.JPG
IMG_1312.JPG (135.49 KiB) Viewed 2812 times

IMG_1316.JPG
IMG_1316.JPG (88.32 KiB) Viewed 2812 times

During my morning prep of the car I put 3 litres of water in it – so it’d used 3 litres in 15 miles – I was convinced I was going home on a truck having cracked the engine or warped the head.

But I started the engine & it sounded OK, as the temperature rode, there were no bubbles in the header tank & no exhaust smell, so maybe I’d got away with it? Innovation thrives on the Rogue Runners & Matt found a spare piece of rubber mat which was cut to fit the neck of the header tank, the rad cap was re-fitted & after bidding farewell to Linda, we headed off to a motor factors on route.
IMG_1320.JPG
IMG_1320.JPG (135.68 KiB) Viewed 2812 times

Luck was with me, the fix held, the motor factors was open & they had the rad cap I needed!
We drove though “Pretty Corner”, “East Beckham” & the village of “Trunch”, then turned south through the wet lands, where there seems to be a drainage ditch about every ten yards or so until “Acle”.
There’s not a lot to comment on around here, even “Wangford” where we cross the river Wang isn’t that worthy of note. We avoid Ipswich by crossing the river Orwell south of the town on a rare sight in Suffolk – dual carriageway! & there’s more excitement after that, contour lines! (not many though).
The coffee & cake stop was in a farm shop & here we each decided to set out satnavs for home & head out.
IMG_1322.JPG
IMG_1322.JPG (130.62 KiB) Viewed 2812 times

It was over for another year.

Memories of the trip?
The weather was fantastic all week
The roads were mostly good - often brilliant
The company was superb
No-one went home on a truck
The hotels were good -the one in Yorkshire was perfect

Plans are afoot for Rogue Runners UK 2020 :ugeek:

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun May 26, 2019 2:52 pm

Great write up Tony, you chose some brilliant roads :)

Unfortunately, most of the time I was enjoying driving them so much, I didn't want to stop and take photos!

Here is a photo of the Tin Hut cafe where Matt joined us on Monday:
P1020062.JPG

Photo of a quick stop on Tan Hill moor. A great road and we saw a film crew filming a new episode of Vera, I'm pretty sure we saw the star sitting in her Land Rover and she waved back :)
P1020074.JPG

A quick photo taken waiting for traffic lights by Ullswater. A beautiful day!
P1020081.JPG

The road to Ambleside:
P1020082.JPG

Some shots on Wrynose Pass, it looked a lot steeper in real life:
P1020089.JPG

P1020090.JPG

P1020092.JPG

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Sun May 26, 2019 3:06 pm

View from the top of Rosedale Chimney Bank:
P1020104.JPG

A quick break before Buttertubs pass. A late route change that worked out really well, the roads were superb and empty.
P1020113.JPG

P1020114.JPG

Another great moorland single track (Dave leading Robert):
P1020116.JPG

Blue sky and empty road, what's not to like?
P1020123.JPG

Linda leading Matt further on, it took me ages to catch up.
P1020125.JPG

Dave and Tony at an impromtu coffee stop by Kielder Water:
P1020128.JPG

A group photo on the last morning. What a brilliant road trip!
P1020136.JPG

Wingco

Postby Wingco » Sun May 26, 2019 4:55 pm

Great write Tony, you certainly packed a lot of miles in, do you know how many miles you did ??
Some very nice photos from everyone, and the weather blimey, you was in Britain weren't you ??
There cant be many places left you haven't been to on these British road trips.

Great reports and more to come, great photos and you all had a great time.
Mirror, Signal go faster pedal !!

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Sun May 26, 2019 6:35 pm

Sounds like a great trip, well done for all making the entire route
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

Fury1630

Postby Fury1630 » Sun May 26, 2019 6:37 pm

Wingco wrote:Great write Tony, you certainly packed a lot of miles in, do you know how many miles you did ??

About 2000 (ish), to be honest we seldom have bad weather, I remember one day on one trip when it rained all day, but generally a couple of light showers in the week is all we get.

Next year will have less miles as TYRE seems to be VERY optimistic when giving the travel time, I suspect it just uses the speed limit rather than real travel times, so on the back roads it assumes you're doing 60 - which we do - but not all the time, so I'll be planning the routes accordingly.

nelmo

Postby nelmo » Sun May 26, 2019 8:24 pm

Great write-up and looks like a fab trip... :)

Return to “Group Events, Run Outs and Local Meets”