Another IVA Q - Dash exemption area

Look in here for tips on buying a 'Kit', using Sat Nav, keeping your car in 'good nick' - and more......

Moderator: Contaminated

barpilot

Another IVA Q - Dash exemption area

Postby barpilot » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:25 pm

Evening everyone,

I’ve been overlooking the car build prior to the IVA in May and I’ve come up with a query...

I carefully measured and scribed an arc 127mm from the steering wheel and proceeded to locate my rocker switches between this line and the wheel. Once all interior was completed, whilst carrying out the alignment it came to light that the flat bottom type steering wheel when rotated effectively moves the rocker switches out of the exemption zone.

0AC9BD8D-7197-4CA4-9AEE-71B0B108C183.jpeg

7789DA5F-5143-424E-B6A2-8136FDF1FECC.jpeg

Am I up a creek without a paddle and need to fit a round steering wheel or would it pass?

(Flat bottom wheel helps the 6’2” driver actually get seated!)

b33fy

Re: Another IVA Q - Dash exemption area

Postby b33fy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:34 pm

I would beg borrow or steal a round wheel for the test. You can also fit toggle switch guards so the sphere of doom can’t touch the switches.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

barpilot

Postby barpilot » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:39 pm

I thought as much, and deliberately avoided the guards as I don’t wish to puncture the alcantara as they’d be straight out after.

Currently looking at new cheap steering wheels as everything needs an invoice as I’m gunning for an 18 plate :roll:

ETA; typo

steve m

Postby steve m » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:33 pm

Why not replace the switches with button switches,
or fill the switch holes up, and locate the switches on a panel that is under the dash, and in the steering wheel radius

Also ALL switches need to be labelled for IVA, yours are not
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

b33fy

Postby b33fy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:58 pm

barpilot wrote:I thought as much, and deliberately avoided the guards as I don’t wish to puncture the alcantara as they’d be straight out after.

Currently looking at new cheap steering wheels as everything needs an invoice as I’m gunning for an 18 plate :roll:

ETA; typo

Receipts suffice for major components, engine box chassis etc. Plus a bit of a build record, in the form of a few photos.Most of your new parts would be covered by the receipts for the packages from Ultima. I wouldn’t get too bogged down with the detail.
Power.. small nail, fast hammer, Torque.. small nail, big hammer.. I got a big hammer :P

barpilot

Postby barpilot » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:06 pm

steve m wrote:Why not replace the switches with button switches,
or fill the switch holes up, and locate the switches on a panel that is under the dash, and in the steering wheel radius

Also ALL switches need to be labelled for IVA, yours are not

I have individual labels that I’m fitting this weekend to comply.

Generally, not a fan of the aftermarket push button switches but I do like the idea of relocating them on a separate panel.

barpilot

Postby barpilot » Thu May 17, 2018 11:15 am

Just to clarify, I passed the test with the flat base wheel as the area only applies as per the M1 exemption diagram which is static.

For good measure I borrowed a round factory wheel just incase.

All rocker switch labels were placed on to vinyl strips, which post IVA peeled off without marking the alcantara. Happy days!

Return to “Useful Info - tips, tricks ....”