internal protection for the IVA test

Look in here for tips on buying a 'Kit', using Sat Nav, keeping your car in 'good nick' - and more......

Moderator: Contaminated

teesquare100

internal protection for the IVA test

Postby teesquare100 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:54 pm

anyone help me here ...am finishing off a tiger E1 i bought last year ,
there is a square tube cross member under the dash board, handy to whack yer knee on in a accident i am sure.. IVA says this should be protected (or similar things) . so i wrapped it with foam pipe insulation.
secured it with cable ties ,,then i came accross a document from Vossa, guide to the IVA ,,there they have a nice pic of more or less what i have done ,, as NOT Acceptable ,,, anyone got any good suggestions what i could cover this with or make it suitable .... cheers Bernie

kenton

Re: internal protection for the IVA test

Postby kenton » Mon May 08, 2017 4:42 pm

Have you noticed the yellow and black plastic shroud approx 2' lengths that the power companies use around pole cable stays? they clip on easily and can also be removed easily ;)
Not used them for your need but have for non car related stuff

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Mon May 08, 2017 6:11 pm

What about wrapping the foam insulation in black vinyl cloth fixed with spray contact adhesive? The IVA book would tell you if its acceptable?
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

kenton

Postby kenton » Mon May 08, 2017 6:34 pm

Just checked the pole outside my house, I dont think the IVA man would like it because it can be removed easily however the sleaving the use on overhead lines when scaffolding is put up near them has a return edge which could have a bolt / pop rivet in to hold it closed around the chassis rail

teesquare100

Postby teesquare100 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:23 pm

kenton wrote:Have you noticed the yellow and black plastic shroud approx 2' lengths that the power companies use around pole cable stays? they clip on easily and can also be removed easily ;)
Not used them for your need but have for non car related stuff

thanks Kenton,i shall have a look .... cheers bernie

teesquare100

Postby teesquare100 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:24 pm

Tony C wrote:What about wrapping the foam insulation in black vinyl cloth fixed with spray contact adhesive? The IVA book would tell you if its acceptable?

thanks Tony .. this might work,,would hide the cable ties .. and stop them having a look to see what it realy is ..this might be the way to go
cheers bernie

Tony C

Postby Tony C » Mon May 08, 2017 8:37 pm

teesquare100 wrote:
Tony C wrote:What about wrapping the foam insulation in black vinyl cloth fixed with spray contact adhesive? The IVA book would tell you if its acceptable?

thanks Tony .. this might work,,would hide the cable ties .. and stop them having a look to see what it realy is ..this might be the way to go
cheers bernie

The spray on contact adhesive should allow you to leave the cable ties off altogether
Tiger Cat E1 - 2008-2009
Tiger R6 - 2009-2014
Austin Healey Sprite - 2014-2018
Fisher Fury Le Mans - 2018-2019

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue May 09, 2017 7:07 pm

I made up an ali sheet to fit from front of dashboard edge to back of footwell. Albeit temporarily fixed but passed IVA with a congratulations saying most try to wedge foam in there and I fail them!
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control, Quaife LSD. Now with big brother 1973 TR6 being totally body-off restored.

Richard.D

Postby Richard.D » Tue May 09, 2017 7:14 pm

I've got a nice curved return in the bottom of the dash which should pass IVA but like Richard, I am going to make up a closure panel under the dash to hold in all the wiring and make the whole area a little neater.
Blue Dax Rush 2ltr Pinto - Built and sold
Blue Dax 427 5.7ltr Chevy - Built and sold
Blue Dax Rush Cosworth turbo - rebuilt and sold
Black Dax Rush Cosworth turbo - finished off and sold
Black Dax Rush V8 - completed 2018 and on the road.

teesquare100

Postby teesquare100 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:46 pm

i think Richard thats a tidy idea ...i guess there happy when it has a solid 20mm radius.
nice to be complimented by the IVA inspector,,
i also need to get a choke cable fitted somewhere , i guess that might be a safety issue if it sticks out the dash anywhere
regards bernie

Return to “Useful Info - tips, tricks ....”