Procedure to register a kit car imported from USA ?

Look in here for tips on buying a 'Kit', using Sat Nav, keeping your car in 'good nick' - and more......

Moderator: Contaminated

Dave289

Procedure to register a kit car imported from USA ?

Postby Dave289 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:53 pm

I have been reading a few posts here to try and figure out what process I must follow to get my Graber La Bala kit car registered over here, but still need more help.

The car was built in Texas, I have a few photos during the build from the first owner along with a very comprehensive list of items used (but no receipts).

I bought the car 12 months ago from the second owner in Oklahoma, and had it shipped to Dubai. Before I managed to get approval to get it registered there, we decided to move back to England, and the car has just arrived here.

I have received the Nova Import Vehicle Post Clearance Check from HMRC confirming that Transfer of Residence Relief has been granted (I paid import duty in Dubai, so am glad that I didn't have to pay a second time now).

The next stage is to replace the headlamps (USA beam deflect) and get a handbrake fitted (not a legal requirement in most of the USA).

If I have understood previous posts here correctly, I also need to download and complete the IVA 4 Amateur Built Declaration form, and send this off (to the DVLA ?) together with the build photos that I have, and also download and complete the V55/5 and V627/1 forms. Is this correct ?

At what stage do I take the car for an MOT test ?
Can any garage do this, or do I have to take the car to a specific testing station ?

Many thanks in advance for any advice here.

Dave.
2009 Graber La Bala Northstar (4.6 V8)
1986 Lincoln Excalibur stretched limousine (5.0 V8)
2004 Jaguar X-type Estate Sport (2.0 diesel)

DJ.

Re: Procedure to register a kit car imported from USA ?

Postby DJ. » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:04 pm

I think there is a different system/regs for personal imports (ie, from Japan) to the one for home built kits. They do go through IVA, but I don't know all the requirements.

It might be easier to register it as an import, as the rules might be less stringent for cars already registered abroad. Unfortunately, to register it as a newly built kit, you need to provide photos proving you built it. With no receipts for engine etc, it's going to be difficult to get it through the standard UK IVA proceedure, and you'd have to at least partially disassemble it :(

Crunchie Gears

Re: Procedure to register a kit car imported from USA ?

Postby Crunchie Gears » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:53 pm

HMRC have a section on their website and do a pack for new cars or if they have been registered already and the criteria that they look for. It also covers the process.

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-i ... k/overview

Enjoy the read :D

Return to “Useful Info - tips, tricks ....”