Blattiquette... For tours and runs

Look in here for tips on buying a 'Kit', using Sat Nav, keeping your car in 'good nick' - and more......

Moderator: Contaminated

leegav

Blattiquette... For tours and runs

Postby leegav » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:39 pm

There are alot of trips coming up shortly and a few newbies joining... Am i right in saying theres a blattequette section on the forum?. Maybe a good idea to bump it for the upcoming trips and also for those of us who havnt been on a trip with so many different types of drivers for a while.. The only one i can remember is check your mirrors if someones behind you and wait for the last man.
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

Fury1630

Re: Blattiquette... For tours and runs

Postby Fury1630 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:59 am

Think that was about it wasn't it? If someone doesn't have the .ITN & a radio, sing out before the off & folk try to keep them in their mirrors.

greenwoo
Site Admin

Postby greenwoo » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:14 am

This was actually the 'original' Blattiquette summary, back in the days before many of discovered the beauty of Sat Nav's. The key point as Tony says above is to make sure that folks know that you don't have a Sat Nav and that they're relying on YOU.
Then again devices can go wrong mid run, so it doesnt hurt to keep a weather eye on the car behind irrespective!
I've made comments as a few reminders....

1/ Last car to run with dipped headlights - so that leaders can identify that car from the front.

2/ At any junction ( t/lights, roundabout, turning ) MAKE SURE that the car behind you sees where you are going, early indication, and if necessary either: slow down or wait as applicable for the car behind to make up ground so that they know where we've gone. OR at roundabout if its a large 'blind' r/about circle and pick up any cars that couldn't get across at the same time as you.

3/ The car behind you is your responsibility - no reason why you cant overtake, or open up on a nice stretch of road, but please be aware of the car behind, if after a bit of pedal therapy it doesn't appear, slow down - perhaps he's had a problem, if necessary STOP, and WAIT. Again if necessary make things clear along the line - a toot, flash of lights - whatever it takes to stop those ahead from tearing off ( which they shouldn't if they in turn have been mindful of their mirrors ).

4/ Slower drivers, don't worry about the car in front pulling away from you - perhaps its a 'power' issue or perhaps the guy in front is finding his comfort zone - no problem, you're both out to enjoy yourselves, he will wait for you - that might be a mile down the road, or two - BUT he will wait at the next junction/turn off. And if you don't appear then someone should be coming back to find you in case you have had car problems.

5/ Be courteous to those in the formation and others: No need for hasty/risky overtakes amongst our own crowd!

6/ Help yourself by making sure that you have the destination in your sat nav/phone - if the worst happens atleast you can make the destination under your own steam. BETTER still, when you;'re investing in a sat nav, get one that accepts itinerary files - like TTom. That way you can be assured of knowing the route and if needed can take the pressure off the leaders by taking control of whoever is behind you.

7/ Do yourself a favour and share your mobile number with others in the column.

8/ So you're an hour into a run, in a group of 5, 4 of you get past a 'moving obstacle'....sure have your fun, why waste a nice bit of road, but take stock, and slow down to let the poor tail end charlie catch up....because if you carry on at your normal pace he isn't going to catch you and will be on his 'ownsome' for the rest of the run.

9/ Use your mirrors more than normal - otherwise you won't have a clue that
you've lost your tail!

Run outs & Tours aren't races, they're joint enjoyment of a road/route/region - the point is to find a way of traveling at a pace that suits you but that keeps the cameraderie & fun.
Back in 'the day' I drove in convoy using many of the points above, except that the club i drove with overtook and slowed to wait for all cars to complete the same overtake. It was utterly frustrating as we crawled along beautiful roads waiting for the last 2-3 cars to join us.

Driving in a Group isn't necessarily about being nose to tail, its about being aware that someone has fallen off the back/not been able to catch up and after a reasonable time slowing to a/ allow them to rejoin b/ making sure they haven't a problem. And that's true whether or not everyone/no one has a Sat Nav.

leegav

Postby leegav » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:27 pm

Great write up Mark. I think that will be really helpful.
Say NO to Pheasants !!! Body count = 3
Say NO to Blackbirds !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Marmots !!! Body count = 1
Say NO to Squirrels!!! Body count = 1

davro

Postby davro » Wed May 11, 2016 10:28 am

Nice read and some sage advice :)
Dax Rush Hayabusa with front Camber Compensation

steve m

Postby steve m » Wed May 11, 2016 5:34 pm

Some very good, and basic advice

For me, I always try and follow Duncan or Graham, and no matter how they try, they havnt lost me yet

:D :D

steve
Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

DJ.

Postby DJ. » Wed May 11, 2016 9:16 pm

That sounds like a challenge to me Steve :lol:

Stevo

Postby Stevo » Thu May 12, 2016 12:19 pm

Stay at the front is my advice :mrgreen: just watch out for airborne yellow Westies piloted by Guy Martins dad :lol:
Team Green now

zxr400

Postby zxr400 » Thu May 12, 2016 6:18 pm

emmmm a black clio as the westy has gone and the mx5 isn't playing ether :twisted:

Stevo

Postby Stevo » Thu May 12, 2016 6:55 pm

I didn't know the colour of the other cars lol.

What's wrong with the mazda? Never driven a Renaultsport Clio we may have to swop if you fancy it just for a while I trust you :o
Team Green now

Return to “Useful Info - tips, tricks ....”