GARMIN SAT NAV HELP

Look in here for tips on buying a 'Kit', using Sat Nav, keeping your car in 'good nick' - and more......

Moderator: Contaminated

BIOMAN

GARMIN SAT NAV HELP

Postby BIOMAN » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:14 pm

Hi! I've got a problem with my SAT NAV :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: . When plugged into the Westie the S/N has been playing up (Rebooting) all the time. Have spoken to Garmin, very helpful, sent me a new lead and lots of instructions to reset etc etc.
Even though it's now 2 years old they have said they will replace it FOC :D . However it works fine in my Merc c220 . Why could this be happening. Need to get it sorted before the Euro Trip :-(. Pleeeezzzzzz advice??/??
Thanks Rich

Crunchie Gears

Re: GARMIN SAT NAV HELP

Postby Crunchie Gears » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:23 pm

Richard. I have had this before. As it works in you Merc I think it maybe the voltage the adaptor is getting from your electrical socket. I would put a volt meter on your merc and the Westie. It may well be that.

I would also try a USB plug and lead and see if that works better than the charger lead.

Hope that helps. :D

BIOMAN

Postby BIOMAN » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:57 am

Hi Paul, if you use a usb cable it turns it into charging/computer link mode :cry: . Garmin say switch off device and whilst rebooting put the correct car cable in and it will correct itself. It seems to do this but I can't understand the different actions in the two cars. New (ish) battery on Westfield 12.4 v Merc 12.6v. It may be that I'm a numpty but have had the satnav for 2 years without a problem 'till now. Thanks for your advice :) :)

bigstuff

Postby bigstuff » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:24 am

Buy a map :?
One is one too many and one too many is never enough.

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:46 am

BIOMAN wrote:Hi Paul, if you use a usb cable it turns it into charging/computer link mode :cry: . Garmin say switch off device and whilst rebooting put the correct car cable in and it will correct itself. It seems to do this but I can't understand the different actions in the two cars. New (ish) battery on Westfield 12.4 v Merc 12.6v. It may be that I'm a numpty but have had the satnav for 2 years without a problem 'till now. Thanks for your advice :) :)

With those voltages, I am guessing, it will be resistance getting the power to the Garmin. Have you tested the voltage at the socket? Are the contacts corroded? Has the socket got a good earth?

I just think it has to be the charging that is your issue.

andyf

Postby andyf » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:50 pm

bigstuff wrote:Buy a map :?

:lol: I find the wind keeps changing the page!
MkII Marlin Roadster with Ford 2.0L Pinto and Type 9 gearbox. Going for the oily rag restoration look :-)

BIOMAN

Postby BIOMAN » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:40 pm

Crunchie Gears wrote:
BIOMAN wrote:Hi Paul, if you use a usb cable it turns it into charging/computer link mode :cry: . Garmin say switch off device and whilst rebooting put the correct car cable in and it will correct itself. It seems to do this but I can't understand the different actions in the two cars. New (ish) battery on Westfield 12.4 v Merc 12.6v. It may be that I'm a numpty but have had the satnav for 2 years without a problem 'till now. Thanks for your advice :) :)

With those voltages, I am guessing, it will be resistance getting the power to the Garmin. Have you tested the voltage at the socket? Are the contacts corroded? Has the socket got a good earth?

Hi Paul, new accessory socket, problem sorted :D :D . Thanks Rich

Crunchie Gears

Postby Crunchie Gears » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:45 pm

BIOMAN wrote:
Crunchie Gears wrote:

Hi Paul, new accessory socket, problem sorted :D :D . Thanks Rich

Great :D look forward to following someone who knows where they are going on the road trip :lol:

BIOMAN

Postby BIOMAN » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:06 am

Thanks Paul :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Useful Info - tips, tricks ....”